Cardiff City Forum



A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 8:57 am

He's a direct footballer who wants to get beyond the full back the trouble is the new breeds have been brought up on pass it backwards and never take the full back on, tippy tappy shit football I call it. Id rather players have a run at another and cross the ball in to actually try and score as that's what the game was about once rather than tap it backwards 95% of the time as that's what they do these days :bluescarf:

Re: F.A.O Ollie tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:00 am

Simplesimon wrote:
Sven wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Starvinmarvin wrote:Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless

Yes it's unbelievable really.

But then again maybe not. City fans have a history of
criticising wingers over the years. I remember the abuse Wilfred Zaha got when he was here on loan.


Er he was dreadful!

He was worse than that! He was a ‘dud’; a player who fired the proverbial ‘blanks’ because he sulked the whole time he was here! :evil:

Only ever really ‘played’ for one team, Crystal’s Palace, where he was tied to mummy’s apron strings! :oops:

He was brilliant on his day (I recall him tearing us a new one in a 3-2 defeat after we were two goals up) at Selhurst Park

What a wasted talent he was! :cry:


I always remember Shearer on MOTD saying Zaha was a disgrace and here just to collect the wages. If I remember correctly we cleared a corner with a punt over the halfway line and Zaha was the only city player up front and near it, but I think it was Fraser Campbell who had run from the penalty area that got to it ahead of him.

I think you recall right! As I said, the guy was an absolute disgrace to himself, his profession, our club, and its supporters!

He was a huge part of why we got relegated; playing with 10 men every game! :oops: :banghead:

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:16 am

To say Hate is a bit extreme. I do think BBM hasn't helped at times and bringing him off in more games than he has. Especially Bolton he played dreadful.

Got me he is a decent squad player and perhaps more effective sub to bring on against tired legs.

Stats are interesting and many of the assists I personally don't class as an assist it's basically last person to pass the ball.

Tanner has a place in the squad for sure but needs to be dropped in my view and not automatically first choice winger

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:31 am

I like him. A bit old school, capable of brilliant and not so brilliant moments. Always seems to give his all, which is enough for me.

Re: F.A.O Ollie tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:34 am

Simplesimon wrote:
Sven wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Starvinmarvin wrote:Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless

Yes it's unbelievable really.

But then again maybe not. City fans have a history of
criticising wingers over the years. I remember the abuse Wilfred Zaha got when he was here on loan.


Er he was dreadful!

He was worse than that! He was a ‘dud’; a player who fired the proverbial ‘blanks’ because he sulked the whole time he was here! :evil:

Only ever really ‘played’ for one team, Crystal’s Palace, where he was tied to mummy’s apron strings! :oops:

He was brilliant on his day (I recall him tearing us a new one in a 3-2 defeat after we were two goals up) at Selhurst Park

What a wasted talent he was! :cry:


I always remember Shearer on MOTD saying Zaha was a disgrace and here just to collect the wages. If I remember correctly we cleared a corner with a punt over the halfway line and Zaha was the only city player up front and near it, but I think it was Fraser Campbell who had run from the penalty area that got to it ahead of him.


One of many players with great potential that go to a massive club and not delivering on their potential.

I remember Ravel Morrison supposedly being the next big thing but it just fell apart for him. We had him for a bit and he was dreadful.

Shows that you need both talent and the right attitude to succeed.

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:43 am

We have a history of impatience with players, don't think its hate, we also have a few Pep Guardiola's on here and on the terraces who got Rushden and Diamonds promoted on Championship Manager.

I think its frustration because we know he has it in his make up, we have fans who boo the team if we lose. :bluebird:

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 10:16 am

Tanner wouldn’t be anywhere near my first team , I don’t hate him , he is not good enough for this level . Those stats don’t show a true picture , his crossing is poor . And to miss an open goal by such a distance shows the quality of his play .

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 11:02 am

Perhaps hate is the wrong word he's the scape goat. The truth is if Salech had done his job and defenders hadn't made daft mistakes we'd be pretty high up the table. People have decided that we've got crap wingers though for some reason

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 1:34 pm

Always said he's a great player for us

If he could beat his man every single time and always put in an accurate cross to the striker he wouldn't be playing in the championship

He's our most direct winger

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 1:56 pm

TaxiBlue wrote:Tanner wouldn’t be anywhere near my first team , I don’t hate him , he is not good enough for this level . Those stats don’t show a true picture , his crossing is poor . And to miss an open goal by such a distance shows the quality of his play .


Who would you play there instead?

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 2:46 pm

I've always supported who ever plays for city christ we've had some crap players from time to time tanner I've always liked him yes sometimes he's frustrating but end of the day most of the time he gets it right I like him

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:16 pm

TaxiBlue wrote:Tanner wouldn’t be anywhere near my first team , I don’t hate him , he is not good enough for this level . Those stats don’t show a true picture , his crossing is poor . And to miss an open goal by such a distance shows the quality of his play .


Ok, who in the current City squad has better crossing ability? Who replaces him?

What open goal? How far away from goal was he and where was he on the pitch? Were there opposition players in front of him?

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:57 am

Starvinmarvin wrote:Perhaps hate is the wrong word he's the scape goat. The truth is if Salech had done his job and defenders hadn't made daft mistakes we'd be pretty high up the table. People have decided that we've got crap wingers though for some reason


Agreed, people underestimate how hard it is to beat their man and get a cross in. The fullbacks' job in that situation is to do anything possible to stop the cross; if that means shirt pulling, blocking, fouling, doubling up, so be it. The stats show that he and Willock are doing OK.

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:38 pm

boyo1927 wrote:To say Hate is a bit extreme. I do think BBM hasn't helped at times and bringing him off in more games than he has. Especially Bolton he played dreadful.

Got me he is a decent squad player and perhaps more effective sub to bring on against tired legs.

Stats are interesting and many of the assists I personally don't class as an assist it's basically last person to pass the ball.

Tanner has a place in the squad for sure but needs to be dropped in my view and not automatically first choice winger



He was the "last person to pass the ball" more than anyone else in L1 last season, virtually double anyone else in the entire league when you pro rata it for games played - he missed 4 months with a broken ankle and ruptured ankle tendons. It's called having the vision to pick someone out - or rather, an assist.

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:39 pm

TaxiBlue wrote:Tanner wouldn’t be anywhere near my first team , I don’t hate him , he is not good enough for this level . Those stats don’t show a true picture , his crossing is poor . And to miss an open goal by such a distance shows the quality of his play .


(apart from all the excellent crosses)

Re: F.A.O Ollie Tanner haters

Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:19 am

Are you sure you are watching the same player , his crosses are absolutely horrendous