A forum for all things Cardiff City
Thu Sep 24, 2026 1:24 pm
Yes I know hes not perfect but he gets way more stick than he deserves and here's a stat to back this up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 1:49 pm
Who ‘
hates’ Ollie Tanner?
I see critics, but not ‘
haters’
Thu Sep 24, 2026 1:57 pm
Blue since 1981 wrote:Yes I know hes not perfect but he gets way more stick than he deserves and here's a stat to back this up
Great stats
I've always thought there was a player in there and he improved massively last season in league one under BBM. But then so did most of our players especially the youngsters.
Let's hope for the same amount of improvement this season.
It's been many many years since I've been this excited about going to watch Cardiff.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:01 pm
Sven wrote:Who ‘hates’ Ollie Tanner?
I see critics, but not ‘
haters’
There's plenty of haters sadly , 2 guys a few rows behind me in the ninan stand when Ollie went down inured shouted hopefully his legs broken, honestly go on twitter and read some of the shit that gets posted about him its awful
Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:12 pm
The way he gets treated from some fans is ridiculous. Against Charlton, whenever he did anything slightly wrong there were people around calling him unnecessary names.
I wasn't at Bolton but apparently some of our fans were singing for him to come off.
Yes he's not perfect but does get unfair criticism.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:29 pm
Given the way we play, and seeing that Willock is also on that list, I'd be interested to know how they define "creating" chances.
Would they say that the simple pass Tanner gave to Moylan for his second goal against Charlton was Tanner "creating the chance for Moylan? It would definitely count as an "assist" as he touched the ball last before the shot but I think most would admit that the goal had little to do with the simple pass from Tanner.
This is honestly not a criticism of Tanner, just an observation on the random nature of such stats.
Because of the position he plays he's far more likely (as is Willock) to create chances than say Osho or Salech.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:42 pm
Although a lot of the criticism he gets is over the top I’d love to see what number a “real winger”, eg one who runs onto balls instead of waiting for them to get to their feet, would get in our team
Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:22 pm
Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless
Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:34 pm
davids wrote:Given the way we play, and seeing that Willock is also on that list, I'd be interested to know how they define "creating" chances.
Would they say that the simple pass Tanner gave to Moylan for his second goal against Charlton was Tanner "creating the chance for Moylan? It would definitely count as an "assist" as he touched the ball last before the shot but I think most would admit that the goal had little to do with the simple pass from Tanner.
This is honestly not a criticism of Tanner, just an observation on the random nature of such stats.
Because of the position he plays he's far more likely (as is Willock) to create chances than say Osho or Salech.
Yes that is creating a chance, how can it not be?
Yes he is far more likely to create chances than Osho but so are all the other wingers, stickers and no. 10's in the championship.
This is not a list showing chances crated by only Cardiff players. This is a list of all championship players.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:37 pm
Starvinmarvin wrote:Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless
Yes it's unbelievable really.
But then again maybe not. City fans have a history of criticising wingers over the years. I remember the abuse Wilfred Zaha got when he was here on loan.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:46 pm
MikeO76 wrote:Starvinmarvin wrote:Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless
Yes it's unbelievable really.
But then again maybe not. City fans have a history of criticising wingers over the years. I remember the abuse Wilfred Zaha got when he was here on loan.
I think it's every club and I think this system amplifies it. Fans have an idea of a winger basically being Mendez-Laing bursting past people, nobody on the wings for us has the space to do that we hold the ball too much. Most of the time Tanner and Willock get the ball to feet in very little space and are asked to make good decisions which they obviously have been
Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:59 pm
Whenever we play bad everyone calls out Tanner. It’s ridiculous.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 4:02 pm
I don't rate Tanner or Willock and no stats will convince me otherwise. Id give Kapakio and Scanlon a run in the side and see what stats they produce.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 4:17 pm
MikeO76 wrote:Starvinmarvin wrote:Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless
Yes it's unbelievable really.
But then again maybe not. City fans have a history of
criticising wingers over the years. I remember the abuse Wilfred Zaha got when he was here on loan.
Er he was dreadful!
Thu Sep 24, 2026 4:23 pm
Barryblues wrote:I don't rate Tanner or Willock and no stats will convince me otherwise. Id give Kapakio and Scanlon a run in the side and see what stats they produce.
Luckily your not the manager
Thu Sep 24, 2026 4:48 pm
Never forget his worldy v JACK B'S
He's earned a decade of patience from that goal
Thu Sep 24, 2026 5:12 pm
JimmyJazz wrote:MikeO76 wrote:Starvinmarvin wrote:Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless
Yes it's unbelievable really.
But then again maybe not. City fans have a history of
criticising wingers over the years. I remember the abuse Wilfred Zaha got when he was here on loan.
Er he was dreadful!
He was worse than that! He was a ‘
dud’; a player who fired the proverbial ‘
blanks’ because he sulked the whole time he was here!
Only ever really ‘
played’ for one team, Crystal’s Palace, where he was tied to mummy’s apron strings!
He was brilliant on his day (I recall him tearing us a new one in a 3-2 defeat after we were two goals up) at Selhurst Park
What a wasted talent he was!
Thu Sep 24, 2026 5:16 pm
NO ONE HATES OLLIE TANNER
Many including Myself feel he is not up to being a Championship player
His finishing is not there.
Def League 1 Quality
But to be fair to him this season he is giving 110% so far every game.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 5:51 pm
Forever Blue wrote:NO ONE HATES OLLIE TANNER
Many including Myself feel he is not up to being a Championship player
His finishing is not there.
Def League 1 Quality
But to be fair to him this season he is giving 110% so far every game.
Spot on there, but I feel he can still improve on his final decisions!
Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:00 pm
Sven wrote:Forever Blue wrote:NO ONE HATES OLLIE TANNER
Many including Myself feel he is not up to being a Championship player
His finishing is not there.
Def League 1 Quality
But to be fair to him this season he is giving 110% so far every game.
Spot on there, but I feel he can still improve on his final decisions!

I agree Chris, their is big room for improvement and he can still improve.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:02 pm
Sven wrote:Forever Blue wrote:NO ONE HATES OLLIE TANNER
Many including Myself feel he is not up to being a Championship player
His finishing is not there.
Def League 1 Quality
But to be fair to him this season he is giving 110% so far every game.
Spot on there, but I feel he can still improve on his final decisions!

I think he'd be better at that if he came through at an elite academy.
Different position but I always think that Robertson mostly makes the right decisions and he would have been taught that for years at Man City.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:37 pm
It's hardly Tanner's fault that Salech & everyone else has missed more sitters in the few games we've played than all of last season yet here we are with both of our wingers creating more chances than most of the league but apparently he's not good enough. Maybe we should get rid of both of them & bring in someone else who would create less chances, some on here would be over the moon if we did. There are more than a few haters here whether you like it or not, every Saturday someone pops up on the match thread criticizing him as soon as he's touched the ball because he can do nothing right as far as they're concerned & I've given up trying to convince them otherwise.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:12 pm
worcester_ccfc wrote:Sven wrote:Forever Blue wrote:NO ONE HATES OLLIE TANNER
Many including Myself feel he is not up to being a Championship player
His finishing is not there.
Def League 1 Quality
But to be fair to him this season he is giving 110% so far every game.
Spot on there, but I feel he can still improve on his final decisions!

I think he'd be better at that if he came through at an elite academy.
Different position but I always think that Robertson mostly makes the right decisions and he would have been taught that for years at Man City.
He's definitely a championship player his job is to create and he's proven again and again this year that he can do that. If his finishing was any good he'd be playing at a way higher level.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:39 pm
Starvinmarvin wrote:worcester_ccfc wrote:Sven wrote:Forever Blue wrote:NO ONE HATES OLLIE TANNER
Many including Myself feel he is not up to being a Championship player
His finishing is not there.
Def League 1 Quality
But to be fair to him this season he is giving 110% so far every game.
Spot on there, but I feel he can still improve on his final decisions!

I think he'd be better at that if he came through at an elite academy.
Different position but I always think that Robertson mostly makes the right decisions and he would have been taught that for years at Man City.
He's definitely a championship player his job is to create and he's proven again and again this year that he can do that. If his finishing was any good he'd be playing at a way higher level.
Do you think that finishing can be improved by practising more or does a player reach a certain standard after which he's unlikely to improve no matter how hard he practices?
Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:51 pm
Its not the chances he creates because not all chances are scorable ? But what about the possible chances that he fails to create through bad decision making those could have created better scoring chances than ones logged! Its the inconsistency that fans pickup on
Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:16 pm
pembroke allan wrote:Its not the chances he creates because not all chances are scorable ? But what about the possible chances that he fails to create through bad decision making those could have created better scoring chances than ones logged! Its the inconsistency that fans pickup on
No, that's picking faults instead of support.
Search 'Tanner' and you dont have to go far for this fella (allan), Davids and a few others repeatedly putting him down. Only a handful mind, but very persistant.
He gets alot of good support on here, and rightly so.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:34 pm
Starvinmarvin wrote:worcester_ccfc wrote:Sven wrote:Forever Blue wrote:NO ONE HATES OLLIE TANNER
Many including Myself feel he is not up to being a Championship player
His finishing is not there.
Def League 1 Quality
But to be fair to him this season he is giving 110% so far every game.
Spot on there, but I feel he can still improve on his final decisions!

I think he'd be better at that if he came through at an elite academy.
Different position but I always think that Robertson mostly makes the right decisions and he would have been taught that for years at Man City.
He's definitely a championship player his job is to create and he's proven again and again this year that he can do that. If his finishing was any good he'd be playing at a way higher level.
Point I'm making is Tanner is raw so makes some bad decisions which he wouldn't make if he'd been taught at an elite academy. That's why I made the Robertson comment, because he was at an elite academy.
I like Tanner. Yes he's frustrating but he cares and has provided great moments, tends to turn up in the big games.
Thu Sep 24, 2026 10:37 pm
His stats last season were also up there .
Thu Sep 24, 2026 10:51 pm
Personally I find him frustrating.
One minute he plucks the ball from the air with such ease that you’d think he was top 6 Prem, then just as you’re thinking “wow” he gives away possession cheaply, misses a complete sitter when a little composure was needed or takes a corner and doesn’t clear the first man. I wish I had a pound for every time he looks up at the heavens hand on hips when he fecks it up or plays with his hair.
He seems undropable to BBM and the stats appear to show why.
Yes he does create chances but seeing as the vast majority of our forward play goes through him, so he should.
I’d much rather he was used as an impact sub to run at tired legs with 20 minutes to go.
Fri Sep 25, 2026 8:53 am
Sven wrote:JimmyJazz wrote:MikeO76 wrote:Starvinmarvin wrote:Can't ask for more.... Looks to me like we've got the best wingers in the championship and quite a few of our own fans think they are useless
Yes it's unbelievable really.
But then again maybe not. City fans have a history of
criticising wingers over the years. I remember the abuse Wilfred Zaha got when he was here on loan.
Er he was dreadful!
He was worse than that! He was a ‘
dud’; a player who fired the proverbial ‘
blanks’ because he sulked the whole time he was here!
Only ever really ‘
played’ for one team, Crystal’s Palace, where he was tied to mummy’s apron strings!
He was brilliant on his day (I recall him tearing us a new one in a 3-2 defeat after we were two goals up) at Selhurst Park
What a wasted talent he was!

I always remember Shearer on MOTD saying Zaha was a disgrace and here just to collect the wages. If I remember correctly we cleared a corner with a punt over the halfway line and Zaha was the only city player up front and near it, but I think it was Fraser Campbell who had run from the penalty area that got to it ahead of him.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.