Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Has Gavin Chesterfield actually played games at a decent

Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:42 am

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/EUskvbDYPENibGb9/

I know decent players sometimes make substandard coaches, but has Gavin Chesterfield, who is now trusted with nurturing potentially millions of pounds in Cardiff City's youth, actually played the game to any standard?

Re: Has Gavin Chesterfield actually played games at a decent

Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:14 am

Welsh league I believe. Not even Cymru Premier.

Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:54 am

Plenty to have a dig about, but I don't believe this to be one of them!

You can be a great coach without having played at a 'decent' level.

If he was our manager, fair enough, he's not last time I checked! Look at Academy's around the country, he's probably far more experienced in his role than others!

Should we simply give jobs to guys because they played at a good level??

Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:38 am

jimmy_rat wrote:Plenty to have a dig about, but I don't believe this to be one of them!

If he was our manager, fair enough, he's not last time I checked! Look at Academy's around the country, he's probably far more experienced in his role than others!

I wholly agree; and point to one Jose Mouriho as a perfect example. Played second string football and retired at 24 before getting a job as an interpreter for Sir Bobby Robson in Portugal...

The rest is history...! :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:54 am

Sven wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Plenty to have a dig about, but I don't believe this to be one of them!

I wholly agree; and point to one Jose Mouriho as a perfect example. Played second string football and retired at 24 before getting a job as an interpreter for Sir Bobby Robson in Portugal...

Took the words right out of my mouth Chris. :thumbup:

Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:59 am

Personally I don’t care who he has ever played for.

But his managerial career is not that great to take over a multi million £ Accademy.

And so far we have not improved one bit since Chesterfield has taken over, that’s a fact.

Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm

Sven wrote:

Arsene Wenger didn`t do too badly either

Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Personally I don’t care who he has ever played for.

But his managerial career is not that great to take over a multi million £ Accademy.

And so far we have not improved one bit since Chesterfield has taken over, that’s a fact.

u21 results have been poor but he doesn`t manage that group, Darren purse does.
u18 results have been good, but he doesn`t manage them either.

Gavin Chesterfield wasn`t really recruited for team management skills but for his coaching ability. He had four years working under Osian Roberts and also has a full UEFA Pro licence and is using that to bring through the younger age groups at the Academy in Llanrumney before handing them over to others to manage as they get older. So partly to blame, but not wholly.
In Academy management terms David Hughes was excellent at both Villa and Southampton, improved things here and is now doing well at Man Utd. So a very hard act to follow.

Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:54 pm

Sven wrote:

Jose ;)

Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:34 am

Ninian1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Personally I don’t care who he has ever played for.

u21 results have been poor but he doesn`t manage that group, Darren purse does.
u18 results have been good, but he doesn`t manage them either.

Gavin Chesterfield wasn`t really recruited for team management skills but for his coaching ability. He had four years working under Osian Roberts and also has a full UEFA Pro licence and is using that to bring through the younger age groups at the Academy in Llanrumney before handing them over to others to manage as they get older. So partly to blame, but not wholly.
In Academy management terms David Hughes was excellent at both Villa and Southampton, improved things here and is now doing well at Man Utd. So a very hard act to follow.

The U21’s under Darren Purse have had nearly 3 years of dire results.

Plus

This is our U18’s Results:

Keith,

Your doing Dalmans work again for him saying how well our Accademy is at U18’s ???

“ CARDIFF CITY U18’S 2023-24 “

Sheffield Wednesday U18’s 2 Cardiff City U18’s 1

Cardiff City U18’s 0 Birmingham City U18’s 3

Cardiff City 3 Coventry City 3

Cardiff City 1 Sheffield United 2

Cardiff City 1 Plymouth 1

Watford 5 Cardiff City 0

CARDIFF CITY U18’S 1 COLCHESTER UNITED U18’S 1

Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:44 pm

I spoke to someone at the academy this week about the U21s and also how GC was getting on. The view is that he is good at teaching coaches, which was his day job for many years and I know he was very good at that but his role here is very different, read into that what you will. I hope it turns out well for him but I think at our level, you need a proven academy manager as opposed to taking a risk on someone who can train the trainer and hasn't played at our level.

I also echo HRs comments in the OP, the majority of young coaches have been trained for the job without ever have played at a decent level. The churn rate is astronomical too, kids convinced that a sports science degree is a nailed on career in sports but only very few do it, it's an industry in itself as big bucks and I think it's something that needs to be looked at, as the education sector is making a lot of money from selling a dream which in reality only a tiny % make a career from.