Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The problem remains obvious

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:55 am

Good point, very well deserved @CardiffCityFC Worked hard for that.

Problem remains obvious. No shots on goal, no cutting edge. We can do really well if we add a striker (or two) to this squad. It'll be a crying shame if not as it will hold us back. C'mon.

Re: The problem remains obvious

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:00 am

Ninian27 wrote:Good point, very well deserved @CardiffCityFC Worked hard for that.

Problem remains obvious. No shots on goal, no cutting edge. We can do really well if we add a striker (or two) to this squad. It'll be a crying shame if not as it will hold us back. C'mon.

Agree

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:01 am

This window has been fantastic.

When have we ever started a season only 1 or 2 players off of a complete team. I feel that's where we are now, a few strikers away from being the real deal.

It would be a shame to come so close and not get the last few puzzle pieces we need

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 am

Kevin Radcliffe who I don’t usually agree with said Cardiff look a well organised team ,playing good football but cannot see where the goals are coming from. An aggressive selfish goalscorer like Chopra is want we want. The problem is where are they, on our budget.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:07 am

Agree 100% The problem i see is that we are not creating any many clear cut chances for our striker We look lovely on the 2 thirds of the pitch but that last third our crossing has been very poor Last night our wingers had their ahead down too much and missed some lovely runs from Watters. ( Not that I am a fan ) but what ever striker we get in , if we persist as we are he is going to have to create a lot of the chances himself In 3 of our four games we have had only 5 shots on target in total and that is a shocking total

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:10 am

Grandstand wrote:Kevin Radcliffe who I don’t usually agree with said Cardiff look a well organised team ,playing good football but cannot see where the goals are coming from. An aggressive selfish goalscorer like Chopra is want we want. The problem is where are they, on our budget.

I wouldn’t disagree but the ball needs to be fed to him for him to score. Watters tbf made some really good runs last night and I don’t think the ball was given to him once.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:39 am

Ninian27 wrote:Good point, very well deserved @CardiffCityFC Worked hard for that.

agree

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:09 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Grandstand wrote:Kevin Radcliffe who I don’t usually agree with said Cardiff look a well organised team ,playing good football but cannot see where the goals are coming from. An aggressive selfish goalscorer like Chopra is want we want. The problem is where are they, on our budget.

I wouldn’t disagree but the ball needs to be fed to him for him to score. Watters tbf made some really good runs last night and I don’t think the ball was given to him once.

Hey Etete came on and had more touches in 5 minutes than waters had all match, due to him chasing the opposition more.

I wanted waters to do well but unfortunately he doesn’t cut it at this level playing the style we do, on that note I think Etete will do well based on what he has shown so far in cameo roles, so maybe only need 1 more striker after all ?

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:52 pm

Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Hey Etete came on and had more touches in 5 minutes than waters had all match, due to him chasing the opposition more.

I wanted waters to do well but unfortunately he doesn’t cut it at this level playing the style we do, on that note I think Etete will do well based on what he has shown so far in cameo roles, so maybe only need 1 more striker after all ?

Etete did put in a shift when he came on but needs to get fitter to play our system as he was puffing towards the end. but I thought that Watters did too. I’m not a fan of his but credit where due, he ran himself into the ground.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:09 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Etete did put in a shift when he came on but needs to get fitter to play our system as he was puffing towards the end. but I thought that Watters did too. I’m not a fan of his but credit where due, he ran himself into the ground.

What exactly did etete do ? Because from what I saw he was fcked near end game and had as much chance to score as watters did a big zero!! it's our creativity that is problem not the strikers! We got promoted twice to premier league on chances created malkie side had 6 players score 10 goals or more NW side 3rd best scoring team but no 20 goal player .... last night we didn't want to go forward so many times had option to put a player in but didn't take opportunity preferred to go back ..... its almost last season syndrome dont get beaten at all costs...

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:11 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

What exactly did etete do? Because from what I saw he was fcked near end game and watters did precisely what etete did and had as much chance to score a big zero!! it's our creativity that is problem not the strikers! We got promoted twice to premier league on chances created malkie side had 6 players score 10 goals or more NW side 3rd best scoring team but no 20 goal player .... last night we didn't want to go forward so many times had option to put a player in but didn't take opportunity preferred to go back ..... its almost last season syndrome dont get beaten at all costs...

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:15 pm

Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Blatant rubbish for no other reason than to tear a player down.

Watters made some good runs & held the ball up well but how many times did the ball come anywhere near him in the box? There's a reason we had zero shots on target, we only play well in the first two thirds of the pitch & fall start falling to pieces within 25 yards of the goal.

We had at least one free kick within 30 yards of their goal when the first thought was to pass it backwards to our own keeper rather than launch it into the box & let them fight for it.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 pm

Etete seemed to get around a bit but he looked completely knackered 10 minutes after coming on, seemed to be way off fitness levels of remainder of the eam. I thought we played really well and held off a determined WBA side, last seasons team would have folded after ten minutes and it would have been a rout.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:06 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Watters made some good runs & held the ball up well but how many times did the ball come anywhere near him in the box? There's a reason we had zero shots on target, we only play well in the first two thirds of the pitch & fall start falling to pieces within 25 yards of the goal.

We had at least one free kick within 30 yards of their goal when the first thought was to pass it backwards to our own keeper rather than launch it into the box & let them fight for it.

Me saying I wanted Watters to make it, but he doesn’t cut it at this level playing the way we do, is tearing a player down is it ?
Really ?

Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:22 pm

Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Me saying I wanted Watters to make it, but he doesn’t cut it at this level playing the way we do, is tearing a player down is it ?
Really ?

I did miss that bit so sorry, but I was so annoyed at the "Etete had more touches in 5 minutes" part that is rubbish I didn't pay much attention to the rest of your post.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:08 pm

Regardless of who played yesterday there was nothing for any striker in world football to work off, but yet again we have people skating our strikers. Having said that I thought Watters done well with what he did do when receiving the ball, and could have been played in down the channels numerous times but only once got released if my memory serves me right, but still nothing in the danger area. From what I’ve seen of Etete, I don’t see much in him as of yet, he likes to get around the park but with not much else. That is in no way saying he’s not good enough because he’s not played much minutes and I’ll reserve judgement on him, but from what I have seen so far Watters is the better option.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:02 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

I did miss that bit so sorry, but I was so annoyed at the "Etete had more touches in 5 minutes" part that is rubbish I didn't pay much attention to the rest of your post.

Not sure why people praise etete when hes done sfa when on pitch? Anyone can touch a ball if its passed to them but he did nothing at all with it... .yesterday was a clear example of why watters struggles and etete will as well if he could play more than 10mins without looking knackered like last night... last night tactics looked like a McCarthy game except
had more passes? Was case of if cant win dont lose attitude because at no point did we force the game it was so conservative but for no reason WBA wasnt that great and I believe with more forward thinking play we could have won.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:04 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

Not sure why people praise etete when hes done sfa when on pitch? Anyone can touch a ball if its passed to them but he did nothing at all with it... .yesterday was a clear example of why watters struggles and etete will as well if he could play more than 10mins without looking knackered like last night... last night tactics looked like a McCarthy game except
had more passes? Was case of if cant win dont lose attitude because at no point did we force the game it was so conservative but for no reason WBA wasnt that great and I believe with more forward thinking play we could have won.

…but also could have lost.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:14 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

Youve made my point? It was case of if cant win dont lose... but how can you expect to win if dont try to in 1st place? There was absolutely no attempt to win that game lost count of times a ball to players upfront was not given but played sideways or backwards... because if played forward it would mean committing players aswell ? We can all argue the merits of watters but can you honestly say last night and other games he was afforded opportunity to even have a shot at goal? Yes missed couple
of chances against brum but his overall play was excellent in that game.... etete looks many weeks away from being ready for starting place so just have to go with it for now.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:18 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

Youve made my point? It was case of if cant win dont lose... but how can you expect to win if dont try to in 1st place? There was absolutely no attempt to win that game lost count of times a ball to players upfront was not given but played sideways or backwards... because if played forward it would mean committing players aswell ? We can all argue the merits of watters but can you honestly say last night and other games he was afforded opportunity to even have a shot at goal? Yes missed couple
of chances against brum but his overall play was excellent in that game.... etete looks many weeks away from being ready for starting place so just have to go with it for now.

Can’t disagree with any of that.
Bet we’ll have more of a go on Sunday. :thumbup:

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:26 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

Can’t disagree with any of that.
Bet we’ll have more of a go on Sunday. :thumbup:

Probably will ... can see why he made changes o'dowda a rest as he's been great but why oh why did he use him as a fullback? I know hes played there but surely out of the subs or players on pitch we could field another left back? I hope morison is not going to set up team not to lose when away because both away games produced arguably are worst performances in how we played.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:38 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

There is absolutely no comparison between the football we are playing this season and the dross we had to endure under Mick. None at all.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:28 pm

City slicker27 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

There is absolutely no comparison between the football we are playing this season and the dross we had to endure under Mick. None at all.

The reference to him was playing not to lose and last night we played not to lose certainly didnt attempt to win game at any stage hence no shots on target and only 6 attempts with 2 corners .... otherwise explain why we wouldnt play the ball forward when watters ect had open spaces to run into but ball rarely went to them .... also o'dowda plays him left back our most effective front player in the previous games plays at the back? Good result but unless we create chances with positive attitude we are going to lose more games than draw that's for sure.....

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:51 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
City slicker27 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

The reference to him was playing not to lose and last night we played not to lose certainly didnt attempt to win game at any stage hence no shots on target and only 6 attempts with 2 corners .... otherwise explain why we wouldnt play the ball forward when watters ect had open spaces to run into but ball rarely went to them .... also o'dowda plays him left back our most effective front player in the previous games plays at the back? Good result but unless we create chances with positive attitude we are going to lose more games than draw that's for sure.....

But he didn’t start O’Dowda at fullback !! He was forced into playing him there with Collins injury !!

Strange comment ?

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:56 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
City slicker27 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

But he didn’t start O’Dowda at fullback !! He was forced into playing him there with Collins injury !!

Strange comment ?

Didn't say forced him I said why play him there? Didnt they have a player on bench or on pitch who could have moved there instead of putting our most influential forward player at full back....Nothing unusual in that comment is there? :shock:

Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:10 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
City slicker27 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:
Welsh Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Really ?

I'm pretty sure our players arnt deliberately/instructed not to play a striker in if they see the pass, just in case we lose. West Brom are a strong side despite their sluggish start. You go to teams like that and play an open game away from home, you will likely get punished. Millwall had 1 shot on target vs swansea and they hit the bar twice and scored 2. Shots 'on target' isnt the be all end all. Ojo should have buried his opportunity in the second half yet didn't hit the target. He scores that and you probably arnt making the comparisons to Mick.

Odowda has played as a wingback before and did a tidy job on wednesday. If not o'dowda we would have had to shift Simpson over and play Denham in the centre. That would have been a lot of pressure on Denham who is largely inexperienced. We didn't concede so I think Morison made the right call.