Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OT: Why We’re Skint

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:13 pm

Food inflation is now at 12.7%; inflation for electricity at 53.5% & rising; inflation for gas at 95.5% & rising.

Wages have been stagnant for 15 years. Not 1% of this inflation is driven by wages.

Interesting facts.

Also interesting that somehow France and a number of others in the EU aren’t experiencing the same increases. My mate living over thought I was joking !!

But don’t worry there’s £350m a day extra going back into the NHS coz we don’t have to pay into the EU, oh wait ………………………….

Re: Why We’re Skint

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:19 pm

Just listening to the news and there’s good news around the corner , though it is a bit of a long corner. Some economics bod (non political) was saying that oil prices are going bank down and probably by April next year we could be in a far better position. I guess it’s just a case of riding out the storm.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 pm

Ps. I thought you were going to say that we’ve spent too much on the wages of poor to average players for too long.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:56 pm

If people think prices like electricity gas ect will come down to pre invasion levels
are living in dream world! Be at least a year before things settle by then companies will have excuses as to why cant drop prices and if lucky be 10% lower than are now far short of what they should be......

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:20 pm

Doesn't seem to bother a lot of people I know either been on or going on an expensive foreign holiday therefore pumping money overseas economys.their attitude I'll worry about these utility bills when they arrive.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:46 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Food inflation is now at 12.7%; inflation for electricity at 53.5% & rising; inflation for gas at 95.5% & rising.

Wages have been stagnant for 15 years. Not 1% of this inflation is driven by wages.

Interesting facts.

Also interesting that somehow France and a number of others in the EU aren’t experiencing the same increases. My mate living over thought I was joking !!

But don’t worry there’s £350m a day extra going back into the NHS coz we don’t have to pay into the EU, oh wait ………………………….

Inflation doesn’t include wages, it’s an index of products and services prices.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:57 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Food inflation is now at 12.7%; inflation for electricity at 53.5% & rising; inflation for gas at 95.5% & rising.

Interesting facts.

This mate of yours lives where? Wherever it is he's talking through his ass, if the cost of say petrol goes up do you really think that the UK is the only country where it affects the cost of goods? I can 100% assure you that it is the same in the USA so I would love to know where this Nirvana of never rising prices is.

That's without using the fact that you live on an island & anything from anywhere else is going to cost more than the EU.

The fact that wages haven't risen in line is an employer issue not a government issue & has no bearing on inflation. In 10 years my rent has doubled but my pay has increased very little.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

Interesting facts.

This mate of yours lives where? Wherever it is he's talking through his ass, if the cost of say petrol goes up do you really think that the UK is the only country where it affects the cost of goods? I can 100% assure you that it is the same in the USA so I would love to know where this Nirvana of never rising prices is.

That's without using the fact that you live on an island & anything from anywhere else is going to cost more than the EU.

The fact that wages haven't risen in line is an employer issue not a government issue & has no bearing on inflation. In 10 years my rent has doubled but my pay has increased very little.

He lives in a place called utopia! :mrgreen:

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:22 pm

EU inflation is around 9% and July France inflation rate of 8.8% They figure is generally lower because the use nuclear power for 60% of their energy If we stripped out energy the rest of their inflation is similar , petrol , food , drink etc
Current price of petrol is 1.89 € so very similar to Uk for unleaded and 2.11€ for diesel

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:26 pm

Abergavenny wrote:EU inflation is around 9% and July France inflation rate of 8.8% They figure is generally lower because the use nuclear power for 60% of their energy If we stripped out energy the rest of their inflation is similar , petrol , food , drink etc
Current price of petrol is 1.89 € so very similar to Uk for unleaded and 2.11€ for diesel

Agree and regards to energy our starting point was lower than the eu .

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:

Interesting facts.

Inflation doesn’t include wages, it’s an index of products and services prices.

I didn’t say it did ! Just a fact that they’re stagnant!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:

Interesting facts.

He lives in a place called utopia! :mrgreen:

But 60%+ of our fuel cost is duty that goes to the government. So therefore if the cost of fuel goes up our governments makes more money and they’re not willing to do anything about it !!

When the French power companies start profiteering they get nationalised. It’s a fact that the UK is suffering more than most of the big powers because they don’t want to upset the shareholders and screw everyone else !

These are extreme times and the government needs to take extreme measures.