SHEFF WEDS APPROACH FOR BLUEBIRD STAR

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:00 pm

Sheffield Wednesday have reportedly enquired about taking Aden Flint on loan for the rest of the season.

Over the last few days, the centre back has been the subject of interest from Sunderland, if reports up in the north east are to be believed, with the player's contract at Cardiff up in the summer.

Now, The Star up in Sheffield claim the Owls made an approach to take the 32-year-old back on loan until the end of the season.

Flint enjoyed a successful, albeit brief, loan stint up at Hillsborough when he was out of favour at Cardiff at the back end of 2020, however a horrible hamstring injury, which required surgery, ended his time there.

He subsequently came back down to Cardiff and endeared himself to City fans with a string of impressive performances and by scoring the winning goal against Swansea City in the South Wales derby.

However, with his contract up at the end of the season, clubs appear to be taking an interest in the seasoned Championship defender.

Whether that interest remains is unlikely, given the Owls signed Jordan Storey on loan from Preston North End, while their League One rivals Sunderland recruited Danny Batth.

Nevertheless, it is understood Cardiff are reluctant to let him leave.

The Bluebirds are embroiled in a relegation battle and their defence has been nothing short of woeful this term.

Flint has arguably been the best of the lot and there is no telling how much worse it could get if he departs the club in this window, therefore Cardiff can scarcely afford to let him leave.

While there has been a clear shift to lean more on youngsters, Cardiff must be careful not to lose all of their experience, especially given how crucial the upcoming months are going to be.

The Bluebirds are going to need experienced heads as this campaign comes to a head and Flint is certainly one of those and can be important at both ends of the pitch for Cardiff as they look to dig themselves out of this concerning hole in which they find.

What happens in the summer remains to be seen, but that off-season will represent a better opportunity for Cardiff to rebuild their squad.

Should Flint, or other important and experienced players, leave this month, it might just throw up more problems than it solves in the short term.
Attachments
0_CDF_210821_CF_Cardiff_v_Millwall_028JPG.jpg
0_CDF_210821_CF_Cardiff_v_Millwall_028JPG.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: SHEFF WEDS APPROACH FOR BLUEBIRD STAR

Postby Sven » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:02 pm

A good fit for Sheffield Wednesday but a better fit for the Bluebirdd, as we battle to stay in the Championship :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:14 pm

He's a player we need to keep if we have any real chance of getting out of the drop zone
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby bluebird04 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:47 pm

so i think you are allowed 4 long term loans per season, long term regarded as (3 months and longer) we have Dramah, Giles, and if Doyle comes, that will be 3. if the club are willing to push the boat and get a final loan player in, without the need of more cost cutting, i'd argue to keep him.
bluebird04

Postby Bridgwater Blue » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:38 pm

They signed centre back Jordan Storey from Preston yesterday and wouldn't think they would need two
Bridgwater Blue

Postby HarriRhys22 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:08 pm

They couldn’t afford his wages! No point in letting him go now unless we get a fee as he’s leaving in the Summer. Bacuna however can go on a free if anyone will pay his wages!
HarriRhys22

Postby royalblue » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:11 pm

bluebird04 wrote:so i think you are allowed 4 long term loans per season, long term regarded as (3 months and longer) we have Dramah, Giles, and if Doyle comes, that will be 3. if the club are willing to push the boat and get a final loan player in, without the need of more cost cutting, i'd argue to keep him.

I believe you are allowed as many loans as you like but no more than 4 from 1 club and 5 in your match day squad.
ONCE A BLUE, ALWAYS A BLUE
royalblue

Postby boyo1927 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:19 pm

I don't think it's about a fee but if someone takes on his contract we save approx 500k. Personally don't see how he fits the Steve morison mould of a centre back
boyo1927

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:32 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:They couldn’t afford his wages! No point in letting him go now unless we get a fee as he’s leaving in the Summer. Bacuna however can go on a free if anyone will pay his wages!

;) :thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:21 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:They couldn’t afford his wages! No point in letting him go now unless we get a fee as he’s leaving in the Summer. Bacuna however can go on a free if anyone will pay his wages!

He was on similar wages when they loaned him off us before, so what's changed...???? :?
Sven

Return to General Chat