LATEST: DAVID HENDERSON FLIGHT TRIAL

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Sala flight organiser goes on trial !

Postby Bluebina » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:05 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
castleblue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:https://news.sky.com/story/emiliano-sala-man-who-organised-footballers-flight-goes-on-trial-12437074

Watching the updates on Walesonline he has pleaded not guilty and there have been some legal arguments which the judge has dismissed. Selecting a jury now. Surprised it's in Cardiff Crown Court. These charges are brought by the CAA and I wonder if he is found guilty if more serious charges will follow from the CPS.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Found guilty after pleading not guilty will bring more serious charges. Imprisonment will be the verdict.

The CAS might make us pay Nantes and of so we could go after him. Problem is has the guy got £15m to pay us?

We will be looking at the insurance companies of all the parties involved.
Bluebina

Re: Sala flight organiser goes on trial !

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: BREAKING: HENDERSON ON TRIAL AND CHANGES PLEA

Postby Scoularite » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:12 am

Contract cases can be very complicated at the best of times and with multiple parties involved and seemingly more than one activity, these are some of the key issues that I see with this one:-

1 Was the flight an integral part of the contract between Nantes and Cardiff in any way or totally separate?
2 Were Nantes involved in arranging the flight in any way, or was the agent acting on behalf of Nantes in arranging the flight?

If the answer to these points is no, then it's difficult to see how the disaster with the flight would have a bearing on our liability to Nantes.

3 If the agent is found guilty of being responsible for the disaster and Nantes are not deemed to have been involved then we are looking at - the agent himself; the agent's insurance; the plane owner's insurance; Cardiff's insurance.

So I think that it's a long way from a clear picture at the moment.
Scoularite

Postby piledriver64 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:07 am

Scoularite wrote:Contract cases can be very complicated at the best of times and with multiple parties involved and seemingly more than one activity, these are some of the key issues that I see with this one:-

1 Was the flight an integral part of the contract between Nantes and Cardiff in any way or totally separate?
2 Were Nantes involved in arranging the flight in any way, or was the agent acting on behalf of Nantes in arranging the flight?

If the answer to these points is no, then it's difficult to see how the disaster with the flight would have a bearing on our liability to Nantes.

3 If the agent is found guilty of being responsible for the disaster and Nantes are not deemed to have been involved then we are looking at - the agent himself; the agent's insurance; the plane owner's insurance; Cardiff's insurance.

So I think that it's a long way from a clear picture at the moment.

Absolutely correct, although the intricacies that you and others have pointed out completely demonstrate why the club was right to challenge and litigate on, to ensure they do as much as they can to safeguard the club's finances.

I haven't got a clue as to whether we will win on any of the points raised, but the fact that this appears to be going all the way to a final trial/tribunal indicates to me that there are significant issues that need to be adjudicated on and not just accepted. Otherwise there would have been a summary judgment or we would have been advised to settle before now.
piledriver64

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:11 am

Interesting witness list who will be appearing in the trial have been read out to the court.

These include:

The defendant David Henderson.

Reference made to deceased parties Emiliano Sala and David Ibbotson.

The other names or people set to feature in the case are:

Craig Keally

Faith Al-Egaily

David Smith

Anthony Hather

Abelle Eshali

Alexandre Monnier

DC Sarah Gedge

Gaile Marchant

Julie Watkins

DC Felicity Dalladay

DI Simon Hotspur

John Overall

Sharon Reed

David Kendrick

Robert Webb

Stephen Hunt

Rhys Cremims

DC Martin Guest

Barry Mooney

Russell Woodland

Lewis Kennington

WIlly McKay

Mark McKay

Jack McKay

Callum Davies

The jury has also been asked if any are Cardiff City fans or have attended Cardiff City matches.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby fred keenor » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 am

castleblue wrote:Interesting witness list who will be appearing in the trial have been read out to the court.

These include:

Craig Keally

Faith Al-Egaily

David Smith

Anthony Hather

Abelle Eshali

Alexandre Monnier

DC Sarah Gedge

Gaile Marchant

Julie Watkins

DC Felicity Dalladay

DI Simon Hotspur

John Overall

Sharon Reed

David Kendrick

Robert Webb

Stephen Hunt

Rhys Cremims

DC Martin Guest

Barry Mooney

Russell Woodland

Lewis Kennington

WIlly McKay

Mark McKay

Jack McKay

Callum Davies

The jury has also been asked if any are Cardiff City fans or have attended Cardiff City matches.

Mckays sons, interesting
fred keenor

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 am

fred keenor wrote:
castleblue wrote:Interesting witness list who will be appearing in the trial have been read out to the court.

These include:

Craig Keally

Faith Al-Egaily

David Smith

Anthony Hather

Abelle Eshali

Alexandre Monnier

DC Sarah Gedge

Gaile Marchant

Julie Watkins

DC Felicity Dalladay

DI Simon Hotspur

John Overall

Sharon Reed

David Kendrick

Robert Webb

Stephen Hunt

Rhys Cremims

DC Martin Guest

Barry Mooney

Russell Woodland

Lewis Kennington

WIlly McKay

Mark McKay

Jack McKay

Callum Davies

Mckays sons, interesting

And the man himself as you say interesting.

castleblue

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:00 pm

castleblue wrote:
fred keenor wrote:

These include:

Craig Keally

Faith Al-Egaily

David Smith

Anthony Hather

Abelle Eshali

Alexandre Monnier

DC Sarah Gedge

Gaile Marchant

Julie Watkins

DC Felicity Dalladay

DI Simon Hotspur

John Overall

Sharon Reed

David Kendrick

Robert Webb

Stephen Hunt

Rhys Cremims

DC Martin Guest

Barry Mooney

Russell Woodland

Lewis Kennington

WIlly McKay

Mark McKay

Jack McKay

Callum Davies

Mckays sons, interesting

And the man himself as you say interesting.

Strong consequences for perjury, so very interesting indeed ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Prosecution opening statement,

Mr Goudie QC said: “This case concerns the organisation and operation of two flights.

“A flight by N264DB, a Piper-46 310P Malibu single engine aircraft registered in the United States, on January 19, 2019 from Cardiff Airport, UK, to Nantes, France.

“And the attempted return flight on January 21, 2019, from Nantes to Cardiff. This flight was not completed due to the aircraft crashing into the sea at about 8.16pm, 22 nautical miles north-north-west of Guernsey.

“It is the prosecution case that Mr Henderson as the operator, a word we will come back to, of N264DB organised these flights for Emiliano Sala to be flown from Cardiff to France and back at a time when Cardiff City Football Club were in the process of signing Mr Sala.

“These flights were not operated and organised out of Mr Henderson’s love for Mr Sala or Cardiff Football City Club. They were organised because it was in his financial interest, he was to receive valuable consideration, a phrase we will come back to, in return for organising and operating these flights.”

castleblue

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:19 pm

The Piper PA-46-310P Malibu single engine aircraft
Information about the aircraft is now provided to the jury.

The Piper PA-46-310P Malibu single engine aircraft was registered in the United States as N264DC. It was purchased in August 2015 by Southern Aircraft Consultancy Inc. The Trustor was Cool Flourish Ltd, a family company of which witness Fay Keely is the director and secretary.

Henderson flew N264DB back from Spain to the UK. Ms Keely was the owner and paid bills in relation to the aircraft but Henderson dealt with the day-to-day management, including; maintenance, hiring out of aircraft, and selecting pilots to fly it.

Ms Keely says she believes Henderson hired out the aircraft 34 times between October 2015 and 2019.

Her understanding was that when the aircraft was out for hire, the person hiring the aircraft was responsible for paying the pilot, for which Henderson was responsible for.

The pilot would be required to hold a commercial licence in order to receive payment and Henderson was responsible for ensuring the pilot had the correct licence.

She was aware Henderson used David Ibbotson as a pilot on N264DV, because she received communication from the CAA about airspace infringements by N264DV while Mr Ibbotson was the pilot.

On July 6, Ms Keely emailed Henderson and told him Mr Ibbotson should not pilot the aircraft again, but on August 5 that year the defendant asked Mr Ibbotson to pilot the plane again.

Mr Goudie said Ms Keely was not aware of the flights on January 19 and 21, 2019, and was only told Mr Ibbotson was the pilot on January 22.

The owner of the aircraft emailed Henderson fully 6 months before the crash and informed him Ibbotson was not to be used to fly her aircraft after she received information from the CAA detailing airspace infringements by Ibbotson. Henderson ignored this and continued to use Ibbotson without the owners consent. WOW.

castleblue

Postby piledriver64 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:25 pm

Whilst a lot of this will have little bearing on our case, this guy Henderson appears to be in a whole lot of trouble :o :lol:
piledriver64

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:33 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Whilst a lot of this will have little bearing on our case, this guy Henderson appears to be in a whole lot of trouble :o :lol:

Some pretty damning statements in there that can be backed up with appropriate communications

Early on, I think Mr Henderson has some explaining to do and these statements (below), if accepted, show a mix of negligence, ignorance, arrogance and blatant disobedience

"The pilot would be required to hold a commercial licence in order to receive payment and Henderson was responsible for ensuring the pilot had the correct licence.

She was aware Henderson used David Ibbotson as a pilot on N264DV, because she received communication from the CAA about airspace infringements by N264DV while Mr Ibbotson was the pilot.

On July 6, Ms Keely emailed Henderson and told him Mr Ibbotson should not pilot the aircraft again, but on August 5 that year the defendant asked Mr Ibbotson to pilot the plane again."
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Bluebina » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:33 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Whilst a lot of this will have little bearing on our case, this guy Henderson appears to be in a whole lot of trouble :o :lol:

He's right in it up to his neck!!!
Bluebina

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:37 pm

Henderson was aware of issues with Mr Ibbotson’s ability'
The court heard Mr Ibbotson flew for Henderson from June 2018, but they had known each other for longer.

On June 11, 2018, Mr Ibbotson asked Henderson if he needed a class rating to fly the Malibu plane, and the defendant said he would call him later.

It is claimed Henderson was aware of issues with Mr Ibbotson’s ability, having received a text message on July 3, 2018, which said: “The Ibbotson experience was interesting! He was all over the place. Had to help him out coming into White Waltham.”

Messages between Henderson and Mr Ibbotson also highlighted issues with the latter’s performance. These took place on July 6, 2018.

Ibbotson: “Where we going with this Dave, if you’re not going to use me anymore fair enough, but please have the common decency to pay what I am owed.”

Henderson: “I am just responding to emails from Fay who has forwarded me two letters from CAA. I have always said the flying we do is challenging and everyone has to be on the ball. It is a steep learning curve for someone new to the operation. The prerequisite is a willingness to listen and learn. We both have an opportunity to make money out of the business model but not if we upset clients or draw the attention of the CAA…. As self-employed sole traders we both have debtors and creditors and surely you understand that to remain legal we can’t take money in advance.”

In another message exchange on August 14, Henderson asked Mr Ibbotson about his abilities at flying at night.

Henderson: “Can you fly at night?”

Ibbotson: “… is it ok imc go vfr on top? In France.”

Henderson: “Who’s gonna know.”

Ibbotson: “Yes you’re right.”

Ibbotson adds: “… better get my night rating ASAP.’

On October 27, the following message exchange took place.

Henderson: “‘Night flying will be the norm now. You need your night and IMC ratings…. Can you get your night rating to make it all official?”

Ibbotson: “‘Don’t think it will be possible before next week will ask Tony Hather, but I’m short of money after my trip to Australia. I was going to do it next month….. Just contacted Tony H 5 hours flight time @£150 per hour”

Henderson: “Essential investment”

On December 22, Mr Ibbotson said: “Won’t got to get night rating first”

Henderson responded: “Crack on”

Who's gonna know :shock: :shock: :shock: Double wow
castleblue

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Willy McKay now mentioned.

Lack of qualifications and competency'
The opening now turns to the events of January 2019.

On January 17, Willie McKay, an individual involved in Emiliano Sala’s transfer, contacted Henderson to organise flights for Mr Sala to fly from Cardiff to Nantes and back.

Later that day, Henderson and Mr McKay were involved in discussions about potential flights on January 18, and Henderson relays messages to Mr Ibbotson.

Eventually neither Henderson nor Mr Ibbotson were involved in that flight.

On January 18, Henderson again spoke to Mr McKay, and in which he asks about payment.

Shortly later, Henderson sends a copy of Mr Sala’s passport along with flight timings, 11am on January 19 and 9am on January 21, to Mr Ibbotson.

On January 19, Henderson raises the issue of the weather with Mr Ibbotson, while he is in Paris with his wife.

He raises the question of Mr Ibbotson’s ability to fly the plane in such conditions.

Mr Goudie said: “The language used is not what would expect of somebody organising a passenger flight over sea in January.

Here is the message exchange:

Henderson: “‘Weather shit. Can you shoot ILS!... Can you blag IFR?”

Ibbotson: “‘Yes done it before just checking weather”

Mr Goudie added: “The response is not that I am qualified and more than competent to do this, but I have done it before and you know I am not qualified. The issue is not what the weather was or turned out to be but using a pilot who at the time of the organising of the flights there were concerns in respect of because of the then predicted weather set against a background of his known lack of qualifications and competency.”

Can you blag IFR?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
castleblue

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:54 pm

Willy McKay informed of flight status on leaving Nantes.

On January 21, 2019, Mr Ibbotson messages Henderson at 10.24am.

He says: “‘I'm off to the airport to try and find engineer for oil etc, let me have plan as soon as Dave I.”

At 1.28pm, Mr Ibbotson again messages Henderson and says: “‘Got that, just going to airport see if I can get oil . Can you get me departure time so I can update gar and flight plan when you can.”

Henderson responds: “I have already said 7pm French time.”

Henderson messages Willie McKay at 6.50pm to say the plane is leaving Nantes.

The jury are now told about the crash of N264DB in which Mr Sala and Mr Ibbotson are on board.

At 9.23pm, Henderson speaks to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for one minutes and 10 seconds.

Mr Goudie said: “When considering what Mr Henderson’s knew about Mr Ibbotson’s flying abilities, his actions when he became aware that N264DB had crashed are interesting.”

On January 21, at 9.41, Henderson messages Mr Smith. He says: “Malibu gone missing on way back from France.”

At 10.05pm, Henderson again messages Mr Smith and says: “Don’t say a word to anyone.”

At 6.33am on January 22, Henderson messages Ms Keely and says: “Please call, D”.

At 6.49am, Henderson messages Smith. He says: “‘Call Urgent. Malibu gone down in Channel."

castleblue

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Keep very quiet'
The following messages were sent from Henderson to a number of people following the crash.

At 8.12am, the defendant messaged Hedley Aylott. He said: “Ibbo has crashed the Malibu and killed himself and VIP pax! Bloody disaster. There will be an enquiry.”

At 8.24am, he messages Jo Branagan. He said: “‘Bad news, Ibbo has crashed the Malibu. Need to talk to Hedley but questions may be asked about his flying.”

At 9.04am, Henderson messaged George Porchester in response to a message about the crash. He said: “Yes, one I manage. Need to be very careful. Opens up a whole can of worms. Keep very quiet. D.”

At 9.51am, Henderson messages Humphrey Penny. He says: “Hi Humphrey, it was N264DB that went in last night. Ibbo PIC. I would appreciate it if everyone could avoid talking to the press/CAA etc until we get a clearer picture of the situation. Just ‘No comment’.”

At 10.17am, Henderson messages Fay Keely. He says: “‘Hi Fay, I’m afraid I have bad news, David Ibbotson crashed the plane last night. He plus passenger killed. The passenger was a high profile footballer so I’m afraid there is going to be a big investigation. We need legal advice before we answer any questions. Please get back to me ASAP. Regards Dave.”

:shock: :shock: :shock:
castleblue

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:20 pm

On April 14, 2020, Henderson received written notification from the CAA inviting him to be interviewed after caution.

On April 27, Henderson’s representatives responded asking for questions to be put in writing.

On April 29, the CAA asked Henderson to respond to various questions in writing. They also informed the defendant he was being investigated for offences under Articles 240 and 250 of the ANO and a caution was set out.

On June 8, 2020, the following responses were received by the CAA.

Henderson accepted that he helped to keep the aircraft airworthy by arranging scheduled maintenance and repairs

On January 18, 2019, Mr Henderson was contacted by a Mr Willie McKay, who he had known for some years and knew hired aircraft from a number of providers. Mr McKay was looking to hire an aircraft for a return trip from Cardiff to Nantes

Henderson organised Mr Ibbotson as the pilot, Henderson was unable to be the pilot himself due to previous commitments. At the time of the relevant flights Henderson did not know the precise status of Mr Ibbotson’s licence and ratings

Henderson was provided with Mr Sala’s details and a copy of his passport by Mr McKay which he forwarded on to Mr Ibbotson so he could complete the relevant paperwork

Mr Ibbotson called Henderson about issues with the aircraft on arrival in Nantes. This led to communication with the aircraft engineer who deals with the maintenance of N264DB, David Smith

Mr McKay contacted Henderson to say the return flight would be later than originally expected; this information was passed on to Mr Ibbotson

Henderson denied being the operator of the aircraft. He sought to suggest this was Mr Ibbotson

Henderson stated that he had no reason to believe that Mr Ibbotson was not qualified or competent to fly the aircraft

Mr Goudie wished to make clear the prosecution does not accept “significant parts” of the account given by the defendant.

Willy McKay mentioned again including reference to providing a copy of ES passport and later changing the time of the return flight. Clearly Mr McKay was involved in organising the flight.

Case adjourned until tomorrow.

castleblue

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:44 pm

castleblue wrote:On April 14, 2020, Henderson received written notification from the CAA inviting him to be interviewed after caution.

On April 27, Henderson’s representatives responded asking for questions to be put in writing.

On April 29, the CAA asked Henderson to respond to various questions in writing. They also informed the defendant he was being investigated for offences under Articles 240 and 250 of the ANO and a caution was set out.

Henderson accepted that he helped to keep the aircraft airworthy by arranging scheduled maintenance and repairs

On January 18, 2019, Mr Henderson was contacted by a Mr Willie McKay, who he had known for some years and knew hired aircraft from a number of providers. Mr McKay was looking to hire an aircraft for a return trip from Cardiff to Nantes

Henderson organised Mr Ibbotson as the pilot, Henderson was unable to be the pilot himself due to previous commitments. At the time of the relevant flights Henderson did not know the precise status of Mr Ibbotson’s licence and ratings

Henderson was provided with Mr Sala’s details and a copy of his passport by Mr McKay which he forwarded on to Mr Ibbotson so he could complete the relevant paperwork

Mr Ibbotson called Henderson about issues with the aircraft on arrival in Nantes. This led to communication with the aircraft engineer who deals with the maintenance of N264DB, David Smith

Mr McKay contacted Henderson to say the return flight would be later than originally expected; this information was passed on to Mr Ibbotson

Henderson denied being the operator of the aircraft. He sought to suggest this was Mr Ibbotson

Henderson stated that he had no reason to believe that Mr Ibbotson was not qualified or competent to fly the aircraft

Mr Goudie wished to make clear the prosecution does not accept “significant parts” of the account given by the defendant.

Willy McKay mentioned again including reference to providing a copy of ES passport and later changing the time of the return flight. Clearly Mr McKay was involved in organising the flight.

Thanks again, Gary :thumbup:

That appears to show deflection of the fact but it will all come out in the wash and Henderon will no doubt have a version to tell

Ignoring requests NOT to use Ibbotson will not help his position either

Early signs suggest the CAA have it all covered and the text (or other) messages show the man to have no apparent sympathy other than to himself
Sven

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Sven wrote:
castleblue wrote:On April 14, 2020, Henderson received written notification from the CAA inviting him to be interviewed after caution.

Thanks again, Gary :thumbup:

That appears to show deflection of the fact but it will all come out in the wash and Henderon will no doubt have a version to tell

Ignoring requests NOT to use Ibbotson will not help his position either

Early signs suggest the CAA have it all covered and the text (or other) messages show the man to have no apparent sympathy other than to himself

Chris I'm no lawyer but I cannot understand why he hasn't put his hands up here. I can only think he is worried about further and far more serious charges coming his way. I understand his lawyers will get to give their story tomorrow but I've been shocked by some of those text messages "Can you blag it" Jesus Jones :shock:

An innocent young man lost his life in all of this and the apparent lack of concern for his safety is sickening.

castleblue

Postby Igovernor » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:40 pm

Just a few points
1 the court of arbitration are only deciding if Sala was our player or not
2 It is quite possible that they will say he was
3 Looking at what was produced in court today Mr Henderson would be extremely lucky to be found not guilty.
4 The statement regarding "I did not know the licence that Mr Ibbotson had"
5 Henderson knew that Ibbotson did not hold a valid licence.
6 Henderson has been shown to know this with texts and emails.
7 Willie Macay has been shown to be acting as the selling agent for Nantes.
8 Willie macay when acting for nantes should not have been as he had been banned from acting as an agent.
9 If he was acting as an agent but using his sons names, trouble ahead there. :thumbup:
Igovernor

Postby wez1927 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:14 pm

Igovernor wrote:Just a few points
3 Looking at what was produced in court today Mr Henderson would be extremely lucky to be found not guilty.
8 Willie macay when acting for nantes should not have been as he had been banned from acting as an agent.
9 If he was acting as an agent but using his sons names, trouble ahead there. :thumbup:

Got the feeling it doesn't matter going forward if sala was our player or not ,mccay was the arranger of the flight clearly and was the selling agent for nantes ,
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:27 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Just a few points

Got the feeling it doesn't matter going forward if sala was our player or not ,mccay was the arranger of the flight clearly and was the selling agent for nantes ,

Crystal clear I would say.

castleblue

Postby CantonStandBob » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:21 pm

The one thing that is most prominent in this trial so far is the lack of a s**t that Henderson seems to give for peoples lives. He endangered Sala to save a few quid and knowing they had both died his first reaction was almost like it was an inconvenience to him and asking people to cover for him. He may be an old man but he deserves a really harsh punishment, he is an absolute lowlife.
With regards to the Cardiff City side of the whole sad affair I can't see how they can be made to pay the whole £15m seeing as McKay was acting (presumably) as Nantes agent when he contacted Henderson to arrange a flight. I get the feeling a lot more will be revealed in the next few days and it will put us in a more favourable light in the media than this whole tragic event has so far.
CantonStandBob

Postby wez1927 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:31 pm

CantonStandBob wrote:The one thing that is most prominent in this trial so far is the lack of a s**t that Henderson seems to give for peoples lives. He endangered Sala to save a few quid and knowing they had both died his first reaction was almost like it was an inconvenience to him and asking people to cover for him. He may be an old man but he deserves a really harsh punishment, he is an absolute lowlife.
With regards to the Cardiff City side of the whole sad affair I can't see how they can be made to pay the whole £15m seeing as McKay was acting (presumably) as Nantes agent when he contacted Henderson to arrange a flight. I get the feeling a lot more will be revealed in the next few days and it will put us in a more favourable light in the media than this whole tragic event has so far.

Agree mccay at the time released a letter confirming he was the selling agent for nantes, he arranged the illegal transport ,and sala sadly lost his life, Cardiff City have lost a player ,an asset coz of nantes selling agents incompetence.
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:08 pm

Emiliano Sala flight organiser 'hired unqualified pilot' -

A man acted "recklessly and dangerously" when he organised a flight carrying Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala, a court has heard.

David Henderson, 67, of Main Street, Hotham, East Riding of Yorkshire, enlisted a pilot who was neither qualified nor competent, said prosecutor Martin Goudie.

Sala and pilot David Ibbotson died in the crash in January 2019.

Mr Henderson denies endangering the safety of an aircraft.

The defendant had previously admitted a charge of attempting to discharge a passenger without valid permission or authorisation.
Mr Henderson was scheduled to pilot the flights which took Sala, 28, from Cardiff to Nantes and back again, but could not, as he was on holiday in Paris with his wife, Cardiff Crown Court heard.

Instead, he asked Mr Ibbotson, who he knew, to pilot the flights, despite him not having a commercial licence, Mr Goudie said.
The court was told that Mr Ibbotson was not competent to fly in the poor weather Mr Henderson knew had been forecast.

He added Mr Henderson "ignored certain requirements" and that the organised flights were "not operated and organised out of a love for Emiliano Sala or Cardiff City Football Club", but for his business interests.

The second flight in the single-engine Piper Malibu came down in the English Channel on 21 January.
TopCat CCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:10 pm

In the summer of 2018, more than six months before the crash, Mr Henderson was told by the aircraft's owners that Mr Ibbotson "should not pilot the Piper-Malibu again" after he committed two airspace infringements while flying it.

Mr Goudie told the jury the defendant "was aware that there were issues with Mr Ibbotson's flying from the start", even before the letters from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

Following the letters, Mr Ibbotson wrote to Mr Henderson suggesting he thought Mr Henderson would not be using him again.

Fay Keely, who represented the trust which owned the aircraft, was "not aware Mr Ibbotson was the pilot" on either of the flights between Nantes and Cardiff, the court heard.

Responding to Mr Ibbotson, Mr Henderson replied: "I am just responding to emails from Fay who has forwarded me two letters from CAA.

"I have always said the flying we do is challenging and everyone has to be on the ball. It is a steep learning curve for someone new to the operation.

"The prerequisite is a willingness to listen and learn. We both have an opportunity to make money out of the business model but not if we upset clients or draw the attention of the CAA... As self-employed sole traders we both have debtors and creditors and surely you understand that to remain legal we can't take money in advance."
But Mr Henderson, who managed the day-to-day operations of the aircraft, had contacted Mr Ibbotson again about flying the aircraft by 5 August.

Mr Goudie said: "Right from the get-go, Mr Henderson was aware he was dealing with someone who had a private licence, not a commercial one."
TopCat CCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm

'Don't say a word' -

Communications between Mr Henderson and Mr Ibbotson from August and October 2018, showed Mr Henderson talking about flying at night and flying outside his qualifications.

The court heard Mr Henderson tried to rearrange the time of the return flight to Cardiff, but this was to avoid incurring costs at Cardiff Airport and not because of Mr Ibbotson's lack of qualifications to fly at night.

Mr Goudie told the court the pilot did have an American qualification, which he received in 2014, but he was not allowed to be paid as a private pilot.

He added Mr Ibbotson never held a commercial pilot's licence in the UK and his rating to fly the type of aircraft expired on 20 November 2018.

On the night the plane went missing, Mr Goudie said Mr Henderson sent a text message to an aircraft engineer saying "don't say a word", and asked others to keep quiet because "questions may be asked about his flying".
TopCat CCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm

'Disaster' -

Another text to a different recipient said: "Ibbo has crashed the Malibu and killed himself and VIP pax! Bloody disaster. There will be an enquiry [sic]."

Mr Goudie said: "It's clear on the evidence that [Mr Henderson] knew Mr Ibbotson well, frequently discussed his qualifications with him and knew he was deficient."

He said Mr Henderson responded to written questions from the CAA in June 2020, and said he "didn't know the precise status of Mr Ibbotson's licences and ratings". Mr Goudie said this was a "lie".

He added Mr Henderson denied being the operator of the aircraft at the time, something he now accepts.

The trial continues.....
TopCat CCFC

Postby castleblue » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am

Owner of the plane Ms Keely is the first witness to be questioned. She says that she was made aware by the CAA of issues with the plane on 2 occasions when flown by Mr Ibbotson and sent an email to Henderson saying Ibbotson was NOT to fly the plane again. A month later Ibbotson flew the plane and the passenger was Ms Keely sister. Under cross examination she says she did know the pilot was Ibbotson but did not contact Henderson again to reinforce her instruction that Ibbotson was not to fly the plane.

Her final answer was as far as she was concerned Ibbotson was not to fly the plane BUT she clearly looked the other way when he did on at least one occasions.

castleblue

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 am

castleblue wrote:Owner of the plane Ms Keely is the first witness to be questioned. She says that she was made aware by the CAA of issues with the plane on 2 occasions when flown by Mr Ibbotson and sent an email to Henderson saying Ibbotson was NOT to fly the plane again. A month later Ibbotson flew the plane and the passenger was Ms Keely sister. Under cross examination she says she did know the pilot was Ibbotson but did not contact Henderson again to reinforce her instruction that Ibbotson was not to fly the plane.

Her final answer was as far as she was concerned Ibbotson was not to fly the plane BUT she clearly looked the other way when he did on at least one occasions.

I guess she 'covered her backside' by sending the 'ban' communication but Ibbotson flying her sister doesn't look great; although may be a genuine unknown given Ms Keely wasn't on the flight herself

"Hi, I'm David and I'll be your pilot today" is a strong possibility
Sven

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat