Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff City are installing safe standing area "

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 pm

Following the publication of a CFE Research report for the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA), Cardiff City Football Club is pleased to provide a positive update on its safe standing provision at Cardiff City Stadium.

The Club endorses the report and, in light of its findings, is installing seats with independent barriers across all seven bays of the back five rows of the Canton Stand, offering a safe standing option to supporters in this area this season.

Cardiff City contributed to the CFE Research report as one of six case study sites, alongside Tottenham Hotspur, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Brighton & Hove Albion, Brentford and Celtic.

The final report, which included responses from Cardiff City spectators and references to the work of the Club, found that installing barriers or rails has a positive impact on spectator safety, among wider benefits.

While Club policy will remain unchanged in the Ninian Stand, Grandstand and Family Stand (where persistent standing is not allowed), the Canton Stand meets the CFE Research definition of a “tolerated standing area”.

Further safe standing is planned to be introduced in the away end in 2022/23.

As in previous seasons, the Club will commission an independent inspection of these arrangements at one or more matches during the 2021/22 season. The reports of these inspections will be provided to the local Safety Advisory Group and published online.

Re: " Cardiff City are installing safe standing area "

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:29 pm

Allowed from January providing safety advisory and council gives :thumbup:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Very positive news but only the back 5 rows? Almost everyone in the back 15-20 rows stands in the Canton, are we only allowed to add a limited number due to it still being trialled?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:48 pm

Everyone stands in the Canton anyway :bluebird:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:49 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:Everyone stands in the Canton anyway :bluebird:

Safely?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Canton Kev wrote:Very positive news but only the back 5 rows? Almost everyone in the back 15-20 rows stands in the Canton, are we only allowed to add a limited number due to it still being trialled?

Probably seeing as it needs to go before the H&S committee to he approved.... so suspect be enlarged if proven save and used appropriately by fans...

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:23 pm

the whole Canton can be standing area, the back rows are more steeper so will have some barriers added.That will then satisfy the safety advisory group and will be a dedicated standing area, the rest of the canton will remain an area where standing is tolerated. The club as always tried to offer choice since we have been at the CCS despite the presure from SAG... The scheme will also assist those who prefer to sit because the other three parts of the stadium are strictly all seater with dispensation allowed in the away end

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:24 pm

Umm everyone stands in the canton anyway. So nothing different happening :lol: :lol:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Umm everyone stands in the canton anyway. So nothing different happening :lol: :lol:

It saves loads of work though fighting the city council, Safety advisory group and EFL rules, we have maintained for years that our stadioum is safe and proved it ..we have got away with tolerated standing fort many years becauser we proved it, now it is official and we can have a dedicated standing area....but YES no chnage for the fans mate aprt from those at ther back who now have rails to lean on.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Leon1927 wrote:

Safely?

Given we've stood from day one, I would say it is safe.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:03 pm

Must be just me then. I’ve fallen over the seats a few times. Probably down to the beer intake though.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:21 pm

corky wrote:the whole Canton can be standing area, the back rows are more steeper so will have some barriers added.That will then satisfy the safety advisory group and will be a dedicated standing area, the rest of the canton will remain an area where standing is tolerated. The club as always tried to offer choice since we have been at the CCS despite the presure from SAG... The scheme will also assist those who prefer to sit because the other three parts of the stadium are strictly all seater with dispensation allowed in the away end

Thanks for clearing that up, Corky... :thumbup:

Personally, I think it's a positive move and people who want to stand will now have an area in which they can do so

It's also right that the rest of the ground should remain 'sitting only' for the majority who prefer/have to sit

Too many times those near me have to ask others (not unnoticed they are usually 'occasional' attendees) to sit down because they restrict the views of older, shorter and/or inambulant supporters

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Leon1927 wrote:

Safely?

No mate it's really dangerous! Pretty much 50/50 life and death.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:09 pm

Been standing for years and never really had many issues so can see why some people think it’s redundant. But it only takes 1 surge forward (which do happen) and someone getting crushed or falling and cracking their head open, potentially fatally, and suddenly the club is forced to introduce harsher restrictions on standing and ticket sales.

It doesn’t detract from the match day experience for anyone, only improves it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:52 pm

I don't get this "safe standing" shit. It's all come about after Hillborough which was a terrible tragedy as we all know. But as usual in this country, laws brought in go way over the top. I've been in few 50,000 plus crowds at Ninian Park and also been in crowds approaching 60,000 at Anfield, White Hart Lane and Villa Park. Back in the day millions used to go through the turnstiles every year in huge crowds with no issues at all. Bring back the terraces and let's have some atmosphere.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 am

Don Keydick wrote:I don't get this "safe standing" shit. It's all come about after Hillborough which was a terrible tragedy as we all know. But as usual in this country, laws brought in go way over the top. I've been in few 50,000 plus crowds at Ninian Park and also been in crowds approaching 60,000 at Anfield, White Hart Lane and Villa Park. Back in the day millions used to go through the turnstiles every year in huge crowds with no issues at all. Bring back the terraces and let's have some atmosphere.

Agree with you. Its not terraces and standing that are the problem its the way they were adapted in the late seventies and eighties. What caused Hillsborough was the way the authorities treated fans like cattle with pens and fences. Had there been no pens at Hillsborough the fans in the central pen would have naturally spread out to the side where there was plenty of room. Not one person would have died.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:54 am

Leon1927 wrote:

Safely?

Yes. Because I have my seat, and I stand there. Standing isn’t unsafe, overcrowding is, and that’s not an issue with designated seating or standing.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:05 am

JJ1927 wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:I don't get this "safe standing" shit. It's all come about after Hillborough which was a terrible tragedy as we all know. But as usual in this country, laws brought in go way over the top. I've been in few 50,000 plus crowds at Ninian Park and also been in crowds approaching 60,000 at Anfield, White Hart Lane and Villa Park. Back in the day millions used to go through the turnstiles every year in huge crowds with no issues at all. Bring back the terraces and let's have some atmosphere.

Agree with you. Its not terraces and standing that are the problem its the way they were adapted in the late seventies and eighties. What caused Hillsborough was the way the authorities treated fans like cattle with pens and fences. Had there been no pens at Hillsborough the fans in the central pen would have naturally spread out to the side where there was plenty of room. Not one person would have died.

Yes Hillsborough had nothing to do with standing it had several elements to it standing was not one ... but it was easy for the powers to be to stamp on football with laws far in excess of any other sport and on lots of things that had nothing to do with football but was used to demonise fans unfairly and city fans more than most...

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:23 am

pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Yes Hillsborough had nothing to do with standing it had several elements to it standing was not one ... but it was easy for the powers to be to stamp on football with laws far in excess of any other sport and on lots of things that had nothing to do with football but was used to demonise fans unfairly and city fans more than most...

Wasn't there also an issue with the ticket allocation? I seem to remember Forest getting 29,000 tickets which was way above their average home attendance, and Liverpool getting 22,000 tickets which was way below their home average. Then they opened the gates to let people flood in, madness.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 am

Don Keydick wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Wasn't there also an issue with the ticket allocation? I seem to remember Forest getting 29,000 tickets which was way above their average home attendance, and Liverpool getting 22,000 tickets which was way below their home average. Then they opened the gates to let people flood in, madness.

Somehow their was far more liverpool fans trying to get into ground than had tickets or stand could hold but that was never explained by authorities or liverpool club....instead blamed the police and others for failing to control the crowd? Biggest mistake was to open gates ... went there in 70s with city and it was a disaster waiting to happen due to its design ..... but this is another thing club doing to help fans by pioneering safe standing in championship wonder how many clubs applied to do it?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:01 pm

corky wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Umm everyone stands in the canton anyway. So nothing different happening :lol: :lol:

It saves loads of work though fighting the city council, Safety advisory group and EFL rules, we have maintained for years that our stadioum is safe and proved it ..we have got away with tolerated standing fort many years becauser we proved it, now it is official and we can have a dedicated standing area....but YES no chnage for the fans mate aprt from those at ther back who now have rails to lean on.

ASuperb for those that have been in the pub all day lol

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Canton Kev wrote:Been standing for years and never really had many issues so can see why some people think it’s redundant. But it only takes 1 surge forward (which do happen) and someone getting crushed or falling and cracking their head open, potentially fatally, and suddenly the club is forced to introduce harsher restrictions on standing and ticket sales.

It doesn’t detract from the match day experience for anyone, only improves it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Everyday life has risks. Driving your car to a game. Even getting out of bed carries a risk lol. But you can’t eliminate every risk. Everyone that stood on the terraces or even goes to a game know any potential risk.