“ Latest on Elliot Thorpe? “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm

Former Tottenham starlet Elliot Thorpe set to sign for Luton Town despite Cardiff City interest.

The former Spurs starlet looks set to join the Hatters on a free transfer despite interest from Cardiff City.

Many Cardiff fans were hoping he would come to City as he was a free agent, but he had chosen Luton.

The 20 year old had been a Spurs graduate through their Accademy.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223853

Football insider

Thursday 22nd September 2021

Elliot Thorpe is set to sign for Luton Town

Cardiff City are set to miss out on Wales youngster Elliot Thorpe, with the former Spurs midfielder set to sign with Championship rivals Luton Town.

The Bluebirds were one of several clubs to show an interest in the midfielder, who was a free agent after leaving Tottenham in the summer, while Severnside rivals Bristol City were also understood to have taken a look, but decided no.

Luton have now won the race for his signature, Cardiff City had spoken to the free agent since his contract expired at Spurs two
Months ago and Cardiff were hoping to add him to their squad.

Luton could well complete the deal later today, and are hopeful that he will be signed in time for this weekend's clash with Bournemouth.

The Wales under-21s international was highly-rated at Tottenham, but rejected the offer of a new deal earlier in the summer in a bid to find first team opportunities, with a breakthrough in north London seemingly highly unlikely.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223853
Attachments
47511D6B-FFEB-4AA1-8187-BD7D04F2A85C.jpeg
47511D6B-FFEB-4AA1-8187-BD7D04F2A85C.jpeg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ Latest on Elliot Thorpe? “

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:55 pm

Replies FB:
Attachments
F802E3AE-74B5-4852-A014-65F9EB1B5FE5.jpeg
F802E3AE-74B5-4852-A014-65F9EB1B5FE5.jpeg (302.23 KiB) Viewed 5971 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Carduff » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:14 pm

Yet another slips through the net :banghead: doh
When is this club going to learn doh
Everyone says we got the makings of a big club doh
It's time the management thought the same and done something about it doh
Oh there's a flying pig doh
Carduff

Postby Sneggyblubird » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Be interesting to know if there was any genuine interest or just paper talk.
Sneggyblubird

Postby JJ1927 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Is he any good though? I know he is young but I don't think he has ever been called into the Welsh squad and we were desperate a few weeks ago
JJ1927

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Nothing to do with fact probably lives 5miles from Luton.... if it's about our football why as Giles been allowed to come here and Wilson ect ect previously? ....not exactly their style of football compared to their respective clubs... why do people pick negative aspects of anything involving club when other factors probably more pertinent as reasons why we don't get them... plus did we make a serious attempt? :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Barclay1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Of course he was always gonna join Luton.

There was a time where we would simply blow Luton out of the water. I still hold them up as an example. Capable of paying wages to bring (a certain quality of) player to compliment their squad, and not be concerned about administration.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Canton Kev » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Of course he was always gonna join Luton.

There was a time where we would simply blow Luton out of the water. I still hold them up as an example. Capable of paying wages to bring (a certain quality of) player to compliment their squad, and not be concerned about administration.

3... 2... 1... Oh look, right on cue. :roll:
Canton Kev

Postby Barclay1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:24 pm

Canton Kev wrote:

With respect do I have to toe a certain line? If you were to mention on here things about the club you weren't happy with, then you would be very much allowed to and I certainly wouldnt be making out that you were from another planet.
Barclay1

Postby Sven » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:25 pm

Of course...? :?

When were Luton mentioned elsewhere in the threads, then; or is this another of your 'knock the club at all costs' posts...? :roll:

All I have seen prior to this thread was ourselves and Bristol City (later refuted by them) in the chase with credible references to Hoffenheim

It was also reported that he was courted by Leicester City and Brentford throughout the summer

Not a mention of Luton Town though... :?

And you yourself effectively conceded he might come here when you boldly stated (quote) "A youth player without a club. And of course we'll say He signed from Spurs just like McGuiness was signed from 'Arsenal'."

You also said (quote again) "Or, as In the case of both, were released as surplus to requirements" but that turned out to be wrong too, as Elliot declined an offer to go in search of first team football, which is highly commendable

Just saying, like... ;) :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Canton Kev » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
Canton Kev wrote:

With respect do I have to toe a certain line? If you were to mention on here things about the club you weren't happy with, then you would be very much allowed to and I certainly wouldnt be making out that you were from another planet.

There are things about the club I’m not happy with. Things, not everything.

You on the other hand jump at every opportunity to bash the club and assume the worst. You have zero knowledge of this transfer saga yet immediately assume it’s the club’s fault.

Zero consideration that a player currently in North London has signed for a team just up the road. Perhaps he likes the area he lives, or his neighbours, or his house. Maybe a young 20 year old who has been at Spurs since he was 12 would prefer to stay close by his friends and family instead of moving 150 miles away to a city where he knows nobody.

Or perhaps he demanded first team football and if we’d agreed you’d no doubt be kicking up a fuss that we’re only playing cheap youngsters. :roll:
Canton Kev

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Sven wrote:

When were Luton mentioned elsewhere in the threads, then; or is this another of your 'knock the club at all costs' posts...? :roll:

All I have seen prior to this thread was ourselves and Bristol City (later refuted by them) in the chase with credible references to Hoffenheim

It was also reported that he was courted by Leicester City and Brentford throughout the summer

And you yourself effectively conceded he might come here when you boldly stated (quote) "A youth player without a club. And of course we'll say He signed from Spurs just like McGuiness was signed from 'Arsenal'."

You also said (quote again) "Or, as In the case of both, were released as surplus to requirements" but that turned out to be wrong too, as Elliot declined an offer to go in search of first team football, which is highly commendable

Not sure how can hold up Luton who have been previously in div 2 and div 1 for 3yrs and championship last 2yrs inc this season as good wage payers? .... do clubs pay good money in wages in those divisions? Need take look at this seasons signings 12 players 4 freebies 4 loans 4 undisclosed be extremely surprised if paid over the odds in wages for that many players who have combined transfer value of £6m......as we all know money is not always factor in where players go ? Fact Luton is couple miles from spurs maybe a factor in a decision.. who's to say city didn't offer more than Luton ? I know one person who would say so... :D
pembroke allan

Postby Crayfish » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:02 pm

No one knows if he is good enough or not. He has never played any first team football for anyone even on loan. Might turn out to be good might not. He is a central midfielder and we have loads of them anyway. Is he better than Wintle who has played more than 100 games for Crewe was their player of the season last season and is doing well at Blackpool. Let's give Sam Bowen a chance we can't afford to have too many surplus players.
Crayfish

Postby Barclay1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Sven wrote:

I've never said that I actually wanted him here as a player, but surely you have to consider that a team like Luton Town shouldn't be holding a candle to Cardiff City.

If he is from the area and loves it, fair enough.... I've been there numerous times to see the City play and to work there, and I'm not sure I could love the place that much.

To clarify, he would still be a youngster with little or no first team experience and as such, really not what we need right now. I will hold my hand up and stand corrected on the item that he was released,yes it was an assumption, but one that would have fitted with the current transfer policy of our club.

If the club give us something to cheer about, or some news, or some connection or told us their short term plans or goals then there may be less 'bashing', and some recognition that they are actually trying to do the right thing
Barclay1

Postby Sven » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:37 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
Sven wrote:

I've never said that I actually wanted him here as a player, but surely you have to consider that a team like Luton Town shouldn't be holding a candle to Cardiff City.

If he is from the area and loves it, fair enough.... I've been there numerous times to see the City play and to work there, and I'm not sure I could love the place that much.

To clarify, he would still be a youngster with little or no first team experience and as such, really not what we need right now. I will hold my hand up and stand corrected on the item that he was released,yes it was an assumption, but one that would have fitted with the current transfer policy of our club.

If the club give us something to cheer about, or some news, or some connection or told us their short term plans or goals then there may be less 'bashing', and some recognition that they are actually trying to do the right thing

I didn't say you 'wanted' him here. You said it was obvious he would go to Luton rather than us with little to back that up other than an apparent desire to have cheap shot at the club you supposedly support

I do accept you dislike the current regime intensely but come on, don't make things up; it just lessens the impact of anything genuine you might have to say

I'm no great 'fan' of what is occurring currently and would like a statement of intent going forward; but to constantly look for the negative is surely not the way forward?
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:44 pm

These responses are exactly what I said would happen after people were criticising us for being in for an out of contract player :lol:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 pm

Reply FB:
Attachments
8584D409-D400-47FF-8A14-061BF3C2A2A5.jpeg
8584D409-D400-47FF-8A14-061BF3C2A2A5.jpeg (198.48 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Sven wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Sven wrote:

I didn't say you 'wanted' him here. You said it was obvious he would go to Luton rather than us with little to back that up other than an apparent desire to have cheap shot at the club you supposedly support

I do accept you dislike the current regime intensely but come on, don't make things up; it just lessens the impact of anything genuine you might have to say

I'm no great 'fan' of what is occurring currently and would like a statement of intent going forward; but to constantly look for the negative is surely not the way forward?

I'll take your non-response as an acceptance that you got it well out of kilter... :thumbright:
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 pm

Sven wrote:
Sven wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Sven wrote:

I'll take your non-response as an acceptance that you got it well out of kilter... :thumbright:

Gone to Luton but hes already trained with them last season so not a surprise he's gone there
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
Sven wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Sven wrote:

Gone to Luton but hes already trained with them last season so not a surprise he's gone there

That may be the case, Allan; but that wasn't the point of my post. Barclay1 based his comment(s) on a foundation of sand :thumbright:
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
Sven wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Sven wrote:

That may be the case, Allan; but that wasn't the point of my post. Barclay1 based his comment(s) on a foundation of sand :thumbright:

I know Chris just pointing out there are other reasons why he didn't come here other than his lopsided bias option .. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Barclay1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 pm

Just seen this now. Travelled with work for the 1st time in 18 months.

Yes, I will accept that my comments on his contract situation were out of kilter. Always happy to do that if proved wrong.

My comment in him joining Luton over us, and the 'possible' reasons may yet be true, but nobody really knows.

I have made my reasoning based on the apparant existing transfer policy of our club which is not an outrageous statement.
Barclay1

Return to General Chat