Elliot Thorpe

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Elliot Thorpe

Postby Lengee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Our midfield Arghhh!
Fingers crossed…..Championship duo Cardiff City and Bristol City are both leading the race to recruit 20-year-old midfielder Elliot Thorpe according to Football Insider, following the expiration of his contract at Tottenham Hotspur in the summer.
Lengee

Elliot Thorpe

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Elliot Thorpe

Postby Lengee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:07 pm

Lengee

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:15 pm

A youth player without a club.

And of course we'll say He signed from Spurs just like McGuiness was signed from 'Arsenal'.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Barclay1 wrote:A youth player without a club.

And of course we'll say He signed from Spurs just like McGuiness was signed from 'Arsenal'.

Does it really matter...? :?

The boy is either good enough or not and the source of his (football) education is valid whether he's still with them or not; same as McGuiness ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby bluelover » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Youth players without a club as whilst they could have stayed at Spurs and Arsenal they decided to seek opportunities elsewhere.
bluelover

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 pm

bluelover wrote:

Youth players without a club as whilst they could have stayed at Spurs and Arsenal they decided to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Or, as In the case of both, were released as surplus to requirements
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby bluelover » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
bluelover wrote:

But they weren’t, they were offered extensions but left by choice
bluelover

Postby New Day Rising » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 pm

What we got to lose our midfield is dire .
New Day Rising

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:03 pm

bluelover wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluelover wrote:

Dont let facts get in the way mate!!
bluesince62

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Sven wrote:

Does it really matter...? :?

The boy is either good enough or not and the source of his (football) education is valid whether he's still with them or not; same as McGuiness ;)

Spot on.

If he goes somewhere else, then no doubt the same posters will have a three page topic on why we missed out on him.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby bluelover » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:20 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
bluelover wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluelover wrote:

What facts are you working on then mate?

Thorpe was offered a 12 month extension by Spurs. McGuiness was still on Arsenal's books and an undisclosed fee was paid

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ff-5946341

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... r-cardiff/
bluelover

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm

bluelover wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
bluelover wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
bluelover wrote:

What facts are you working on then mate?

Thorpe was offered a 12 month extension by Spurs. McGuiness was still on Arsenal's books and an undisclosed fee was paid

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ff-5946341

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... r-cardiff/

I think he means the Barclay1 character as he’s the most miserable and negative poster on here. Any excuse to complain and bash the club.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby nickjonesrox2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Please lord let this one come off :notworthy:
nickjonesrox2

Postby Lengee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:05 pm

nickjonesrox2 wrote:Please lord let this one come off :notworthy:

Exactly, we should be on our knees praying.
Some think Pack is poor (slow sideways and back) others say Vaulks doesn’t have quality and other fans blame Ralls and Bacuna. Truth be told whatever 2 or 3 they go with our midfield always seems to be a weakness.
This lad is young, with a good pedigree (well thought of by Spurs) and not wanting a contract extension cos he wants 1st team football.
Surely he MUST be a better option than what we have got.!?!
I would also get Wintle back asap, and maybe Bowen can make the the grade. If we sign Elliot then
imo we should look to offload Pack and one other midfielder in the January window. :bluebird: :bluebird:
Lengee

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Lengee wrote:

Some think Pack is poor (slow sideways and back) others say Vaulks doesn’t have quality and other fans blame Ralls and Bacuna. Truth be told whatever 2 or 3 they go with our midfield always seems to be a weakness.
This lad is young, with a good pedigree (well thought of by Spurs) and not wanting a contract extension cos he wants 1st team football.
I would also get Wintle back asap, and maybe Bowen can make the the grade. If we sign Elliot then
imo we should look to offload Pack and one other midfielder in the January window. :bluebird: :bluebird:

Pack would not be number one of my list of midfielders to get rid of. In fact, I think he’d be one of the last.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:19 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Lengee wrote:

Pack would not be number one of my list of midfielders to get rid of. In fact, I think he’d be one of the last.

Spot on. Out of the midfielders we have he would be the one we should keep. He does a great job.
Now Vaulks is a different matter …
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Lengee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Its a game of opinions. And I respect yours. For me, We lack a midfielder who tries to go forward, tries to be creative and inject pace. MP is like having poor mans S Morrison in midfield. (He even seems to have copied Morrisons appearance).

midfielders like Pack who don’t try to play on the front foot rarely look for forward passes and often just slow things down, tend not to get criticised so much. I guess you could argue that Pack suits our approach / style of play. But, for me, our sryle of play is often dreadful, especially (as in recent games) where we lack any winger and any pace.
However, as I say, I could be wrong and its all about opinions.
Lengee

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:31 pm

Lengee wrote:Its a game of opinions. And I respect yours. For me, We lack a midfielder who tries to go forward, tries to be creative and inject pace. MP is like having poor mans S Morrison in midfield. (He even seems to have copied Morrisons appearance).

midfielders like Pack who don’t try to play on the front foot rarely look for forward passes and often just slow things down, tend not to get criticised so much. I guess you could argue that Pack suits our approach / style of play. But, for me, our sryle of play is often dreadful, especially (as in recent games) where we lack any winger and any pace.

Yes but Pack, in my opinion, is a defensive midfielder and we don’t need him to be on the front foot although you watch him and he does try to pass forward when he can. The problem is when he looks up most of the forward thinking players are running away looking for the long ball.

The problem is the midfielders around Pack. They’re the ones who should be taking the ball from him and being on the front foot. But basically, they’re pretty shite.

We desperately need Ralls and Giles back in the starting 11.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Lengee wrote:Its a game of opinions. And I respect yours. For me, We lack a midfielder who tries to go forward, tries to be creative and inject pace. MP is like having poor mans S Morrison in midfield. (He even seems to have copied Morrisons appearance).

I respect yours too mate.
Imo MP is good at his job as a defensive midfielder but the trouble is, we don’t have other midfielders who are forward thinking so he’s constantly forced sideways and backwards.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Alan_in_China » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Yes but Pack, in my opinion, is a defensive midfielder and we don’t need him to be on the front foot although you watch him and he does try to pass forward when he can. The problem is when he looks up most of the forward thinking players are running away looking for the long ball.

The problem is the midfielders around Pack. They’re the ones who should be taking the ball from him and being on the front foot. But basically, they’re pretty shite.

Desperately need Ralls to return, like he's going to to be our saviour?
Ralls is part of our on-going midfield problem. He's one-paced, gets the wrong side of his man in the tackle, doesn't have a good first touch, passing is often erratic and he seldom drives forward with the ball.
Alan_in_China

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:58 am

Alan_in_China wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Desperately need Ralls to return, like he's going to to be our saviour?
Ralls is part of our on-going midfield problem. He's one-paced, gets the wrong side of his man in the tackle, doesn't have a good first touch, passing is often erratic and he seldom drives forward with the ball.

Yes of course he’s going to be our saviour. He’s like Messi and Ronald rolled Ito one.
:banghead:

He’s just a much better player than Vaulks and Bacuna and with the current squad I’d pick him above those two every day. As it what usually happens.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby JulesK » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Remember when people were moaning that Vaulks didn't make the Welsh squad? Well, we can all see why now, seems to me all he is good at is winding the ref up !!!
Pack is not a bad defensive midfielder, but not having footballers around him is why he always seems to have to go backwards.
Bacuna, I just don't know why he is here, Ralls does add something but not regularly.
All about opinions isn't it.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby moonboots » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Thorpe off to Luton!!!
Don't say we can't put together a more attractive offer than Luton Town. Or perhaps we never approached him.
moonboots

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:43 pm

moonboots wrote:Thorpe off to Luton!!!
Don't say we can't put together a more attractive offer than Luton Town. Or perhaps we never approached him.

Got a link mate?
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:13 pm

“ The latest on Elliot Thorpe? “
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223878

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223878
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:35 pm

bluebirdoct1962

Postby Canton Kev » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:05 pm

moonboots wrote:Thorpe off to Luton!!!

It’s not automatically the club’s fault he didn’t sign for us. It’s up to the player as well where he goes.
Maybe he wants to keep living in London. Maybe he’s got an ex team mate or ex coach that’s now at Luton. Maybe he thinks there will be less pressure on him at a smaller club like Luton compared to us. Or maybe his wage and bonus demands were deemed too high so we didn’t pursue him? Etc, etc.

There’s plenty of reasons transfers fall through.
Canton Kev

Return to General Chat