Cardiff City Forum

Gambler's Den

Updated: Valerien Ismael new manager or dof?

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:01 pm

Updated: Wednesday 18th January 2023

Former West Brom boss Valerien Ismael. He is now second favourite with bookmakers at 4/1, still behind frontrunner Neil Warnock.

Valerien Ismael's name appeared yesterday and he is an intriguing one.

He's currently second favourite.

Neil Warnock - 1/2

Valerien Ismael - 4/1

Liam Manning - 9/2

Darren Moore - 16/1

Dean Whitehead - 16/1

Sol Bamba - 18/1

Dean Smith - 20/1

Mark Warburton - 20/1

Anthony Barry - 33/1

Bob Bradley - 33/1

Updated:

Valerien Ismael:

Now 3rd fav for Cardiff City job:

Has already got 2 of his staff on the City coaching including Whitehead who is the interim manager.

His Background:

Valerien Ismael has left Barnsley to become West Brom’s new manager on a four-year deal.

The Frenchman led the Tykes to an impressive fifth-placed finish in the Championship as they lost to Swansea in the play-off semi-finals last season.

Ismael over achieved at Barnsley by getting to the Championship play-offs without any money.

Ismael, who was sacked by Albion in January, took over at Beskitas earlier this year and won four of the first five Turkish Super Lig games - but they have won just once since.

And after a 2-1 defeat to Hatayaspor on Sunday - the Bestikas board has acted.

beIn Sports Turkey have reported that the club's board agreed for Ismael and his coaching staff to leave the club.

Very interesting is why has the Leeds manger mentioned his name ????

Leeds United boss Jesse Marsch believes Dean Whitehead will be gunning for the Cardiff City job and expects to face a far stronger Bluebirds team at Elland Road to reflect that.

Cardiff almost beat Leeds just over a week ago, but Sonny Perkins' last-gasp equaliser forced an equaliser up at Elland Road.

During that time, of course, Cardiff have sacked their manager, with Mark Hudson given his marching orders following the 1-1 draw with Wigan Athletic, courtesy of another last-gasp equaliser, of course, on Saturday.

Under-fire Leeds manager Marsch, though, believes his side were dominant against the Bluebirds last time out and does not expect that to be the case this time around.

In fact, he believes that Whitehead will implement a similar methodology to what West Brom used to do under Valerien Ismael, a coach Marsch knows well from their time together in Austria.

"We dug ourselves a hole in that match," Marsch said of the first tie between these two teams. "But by many standards, especially in the second half, we were absolutely dominant.

"They had 0.0 expected goals in the second half, and we were on top of the match. Now, we were lucky with the way we scored the last-second goal. You're absolutely correct about that.

"I think we'll see a stronger side. They played a lot of reserve players, I think. I think we'll see a more of a team that they played against Wigan on the weekend.

"I think that the new manager (Whitehead) will will want the job and will try to get his team to perform that way and go for the win.

"He has some history with certain people that I think also have a similar methodology to what we tried to do here. Valerien Ismael is a coach that I know well from from Austria and a very good coach. He was at West Brom and he was at Besiktas - they were at Besiktas together.

"So I expect him to play a little more intensively than they did at Cardiff, but still look to defend well and catch us on the counter. So we'll be prepared for that kind of match."

Leeds put in a valiant display against Aston Villa in the Premier League at the weekend, however they eventually fell to a 2-1 defeat, leaving them 14th in the table.

Pressure appears to be mounting on the American, however, he believes that, going into this match against Cardiff, he is as confident as he has ever been.

"I think that we can we can have hope to now handle our business on Wednesday night and go for it," Marsch said.

"We know it won't be easy, but we'll be at home. The club hasn't had a home FA Cup fixture in many years. We're going absolutely to win that match.

"We need to go match by match now in the league in the cup and try to really now take the momentum from the Aston Villa game and show that we're ready for big challenges.

"So, that's the entire focus, to have this kind of conviction and belief and understanding and go after it, moment by moment, game by game.

"My belief, sitting here right now, is higher than it's ever been. And more importantly the players are in the same position."

Cardiff take on Leeds at Elland Road on Wednesday, January 18. Kick-off is at 7.45pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Valerien Ismael new manager or dof?

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:24 pm

Why has he mentioned Valerien Ismael? As a coach he knows well ? .hmmmmmmm

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:28 pm

Leeds manager ITK?

Their scouting staff must be doing one heck of a job!

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:34 pm

davids wrote:Leeds manager ITK?

Their scouting staff must be doing one heck of a job!

It's bloody strange .

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:41 pm

New fitness coach appointed today with links to VI , the rugby fitness coach left this week after only being appointed in the summer

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:45 pm

fred keenor wrote:New fitness coach appointed today with links to VI , the rugby fitness coach left this week after only being appointed in the summer

I think there legs in this .I would be happy tbh done OK at Barnsley

Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:07 pm

Whitehead was part of Ismael's coaching staff at Besiktas. Think that's why he's mentioning him.

I'd happily take him if he was up for the job. Worked wonders with Barnsley.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Has to be manager if ther is any credibility in it as Whitehead just does not have the experience to deal with the situation we are in, maybe next year if we survive then that change could happen but at the moment priority if someone to get us out of the shite and then once safe, start to rebuild next year whether Tan is there or not.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:32 pm

didn’t Whitehead and new fitness coach both work with him previously?
think this is our new manager

Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:39 pm

Bonner wrote:didn’t Whitehead and new fitness coach both work with him previously?

Yes both of them .

Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:42 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Bonner wrote:didn’t Whitehead and new fitness coach both work with him previously?

Yes both of them .

Too many coincidences for it not to be, surely. Isn’t he currently at Besiktas?

Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:44 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Yes both of them .

Too many coincidences for it not to be, surely. Isn’t he currently at Besiktas?

No left in October

Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:47 pm

Hmmmm from no where to 4-1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Former West Brom and Besiktas boss Valerien Ismael has come from nowhere in the odds list to be named third favourite now, alongside Dean Whitehead at 10/1.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:47 pm

All clutching at straws

Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:47 pm

Fair play Wez,

Even Glen Williams now copying you

Re: Updated: Valerien Ismael new manager or dof?

Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:58 pm

Leeds have got history for spying.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:58 pm

I would be happy with this.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:04 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I would be happy with this.

And me, I would fully support.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:40 pm

The best name that's been linked with us.

Very interesting reading what the Leeds manager said.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:45 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:The best name that's been linked with us.

I agree Ned :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:51 pm

I’d imagine he would have clout for players too

Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 pm

2nd favorite with sky bet now 6.23pm

Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:07 pm

wez1927 wrote:2nd favorite with sky bet now 6.23pm

Thanks but no thanks

Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:23 pm

Caerdydd12 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:2nd favorite with sky bet now 6.23pm

Thanks but no thanks

Why not?

Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:The best name that's been linked with us.

I agree Ned :thumbright: :bluebird:

Yep, being realistic he’s the best mentioned so far and probably about the level we can hope would come to us at the moment.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:08 pm

Didn’t baggies fans hate him for playing very direct football?

Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:31 pm

We got promoted playing very direct football.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 pm

He'd know a few of ours

Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:10 am

Please noooooooooooooo thanks to Valerien Ismael.