SNODGRASS AND GRUJIC WOULD SEE CITY NEED JUST ONE MORE

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 am

Why loans for Liverpool's Marko Grujic and West Ham's Robert Snodgrass could leave Cardiff City needing just one more signing
By Dominic Booth

Neil Warnock's squad will soon start taking shape ahead of the Premier League season

When Neil Warnock earlier this month revealed Cardiff City had made approaches for four or five players on loan — with a view to securing two season-long deals — few eyebrows were raised.

The Bluebirds boss has craftily utilised the loan market throughout his tenure in South Wales.

Whether it has been picking up a player unwanted by a club of similar standing (Craig Bryson from Derby County), filling a vital position with much needed experience (Allan McGregor from Hull) or offering a young player a chance to shine in a lower division, it's a staple of his recruitment.

That last one of course applies to Liverpool's Marko Grujic , a player whose loan signing in January probably signified a change in tack from Warnock in the loan market.

Grujic was captured on an incentivised deal from Liverpool designed at giving him game time in a Cardiff shirt.

That's exactly what the young Serbian got. And it is no surprise to see the Bluebirds now reprise their interested in the talented 22-year-old, with Liverpool understood to be keen to let him out on loan once again.

Lazio and AC Milan are among those who want permanent deals. Usually of course, Cardiff wouldn't be able to compete with such Italian giants for a player's signature; but in this case they are in pole position because of Grujic and Liverpool's circumstances.

The Serbian's positive experience in the Welsh capital in 2018, enjoying the rare glory of basking in promotion — even travelling back from Serbia to join the promotion parade a week after the season had ended — will also play a huge role in bringing him back to Cardiff. The deal is not yet done, but it is edging that way.

Cardiff will probably need another central midfielder as well as Grujic, should Aron Gunnarsson reject the offer of a new contract. But Warnock would ideally love the blend of youth and experience that both players would bring — even if they were rarely played together during the promotion run-in.

With the World Cup in full swing and both Grujic and Gunnarsson involved, it probably won't be until the tournament ends that Bluebirds fans get an idea of their 2018/19 midfield.

Joe Ralls and Callum Paterson seem certain to remain with the club and strut their stuff in the Premier League. Bryson and others may not be retained, as Warnock looks for the requisite class to survive.

One player who has been on the Bluebirds' — and Warnock's — radar for some time now is Robert Snodgrass.

Although the midfielder is unwanted by West Ham and failed to win promotion with Aston Villa last season, most Cardiff fans would struggle to deny he'd be a good fit in a blue shirt.

Potentially available on loan, Snodgrass would bring versatility, guile and experience to the midfield and complement the raw, pacy wingers that Warnock currently has in his squad.

Like the Grujic situation however, Cardiff's pursuit of Snodgrass is affected by a contract difficulty in that Junior Hoilett hasn't yet made a decision over his future.

Again, if Hoilett doesn't sign the contract extension, Warnock will probably need Snodgrass and someone else, despite the fact Josh Murphy has already arrived from Norwich City.

The dream scenario for Warnock is if Hoilett and Gunnarsson can be persuaded to remain Cardiff players, then Grujic and Snodgrass are signed on loan deals. That is four potentially key players snapped up without a single transfer fee incurred.

It would leave plenty of cash still in the coffers to sign the final piece of the puzzle for the survival bid...

A natural goal scoring striker.

Andre Gray and Salomon Rondon have been linked with Cardiff this summer, but such players cost big bucks, as much as £20million.

With Warnock admitting he wanted "five or six" new players before the Premier League gets under way, how about this as a final shopping list: Murphy, Greg Cunningham, Grujic, Snodgrass plus a marquee striker?

Then the Bluebirds would be Premier League ready.
Attachments
Marko.jpg
Marko.jpg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Snodgrass.jpg
Snodgrass.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: SNODGRASS AND GRUJIC WOULD SEE CITY NEED JUST ONE MORE

Postby soldierblue1880 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:34 am

I personally think we need more than one striker
soldierblue1880

Postby bluebird58 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:47 am

soldierblue1880 wrote:I personally think we need more than one striker

We already have Zohore, Madine, Ward and Bogle who could all play a part, if not regularly. And Healey ( or did I see he was going out on loan again) . A quality striker is important, but a creative midfielder is even more important.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby Mr Potato » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Zahore, ok yeah he is big and strong and might cause a bit damage, Madine if we get set pieces into the box but Ward and bogle no chance, Healy is you and raw but I don’t think so sadly. We definitely need a striker or even 2 imo we need a poacher
Mr Potato

Postby soldierblue1880 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:20 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:I personally think we need more than one striker

We already have Zohore, Madine, Ward and Bogle who could all play a part, if not regularly. And Healey ( or did I see he was going out on loan again) . A quality striker is important, but a creative midfielder is even more important.

Madine Ward and Bogle,rose tinted glasses comes to mind
soldierblue1880

Postby DEANO » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 pm

We need an experienced keeper
DEANO

Postby soldierblue1880 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:49 pm

DEANO wrote:We need an experienced keeper

Totally agree with you
soldierblue1880

Postby FloridaBluebird » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:29 pm

A backup GK on a free, to push Etheridge to keep on improving as he has done all last season and to cover his absence in January ‘19. Two CMs, a DM and a RB. That’s five players to go with the two signings. A lot rests on JH signing. If he doesn’t sign, then Warnock May be forced to lose the RB or GK signing. So far in the middle of the park we just have Ralls and a maybe DM in Gunnar’s so this area is top priority surely.
FloridaBluebird

Postby BlueDredd » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:33 pm

I think we’re desperate for a right back. We just don’t have any quality there whatsoever.
JUDGEMENT TIME!
BlueDredd

Postby FloridaBluebird » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:56 pm

BlueDredd wrote:I think we’re desperate for a right back. We just don’t have any quality there whatsoever.

Would have to agree. Sadly I think Warnock loves Peltier’s tough tackling no nonsense defending. All very well but with no pace he will end up being a liability for us. Manga I am a big fan of, but only at CB.
FloridaBluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:57 pm

I think the media are taking the 6 players part to literally. I'll bet we sign more than 6 players with a few leaving.

Even if they signed I'd want another CM plus we need a right back, goalkeeper and a striker.
2blue2handle

Postby Alan_in_China » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:19 pm

BlueDredd wrote:I think we’re desperate for a right back. We just don’t have any quality there whatsoever.

Absolutely! We don't have a single player on the books who could cut it at right-back in the Premier League. Right-back has to be a priority.
Alan_in_China

Postby FloridaBluebird » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm

We just need a bit of luck in signing released players on a free. Krul, Myhill, Robles - GK, Hernandez or similar as ST. Nail a couple of those and we could spend on the CMs
FloridaBluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Galatasaray are hoping to trump Cardiff City in the race for Marko Grujic this summer, according to reports.

Grujic enjoyed a highly-successful loan spell during the second half of last season, and there were even suggestions this week that the Bluebirds were close to completing a return for the Serb ahead of their assault on the Premier League.

That comes despite alleged interest from Milan, Lazio, Atalanta and Fulham.

But, according to Team Talk, Galatasaray, who can offer the lure of Champions League football, are nevertheless confident of signing the 22-year-old and could begin talks after the World Cup.

Galatasaray have reportedly joined the race for Marko Grujic (Image: Getty Images)
It's a development that will worry Cardiff fans, although it's worth remembering that Grujic turned down the chance to join Fatih Terim's side in favour of a move to the Welsh capital in the last transfer window.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Return to General Chat