Swansea city centre

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea city centre

Postby WelshPatriot » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Found myself down west today and had a walk around the city centre.

Now before I start this isn't a biased Cardiffian post I mean this genuinely.

You can sort of understand their hatred of Cardiff and their "Cardiff gets everything" rhetoric.

As city centres go I'd ask questions of what their council is doing, it's dire literally light years behind your Cardiff's, Bristol etc even Plymouth is better.

It's literally like a forgotten town and it's almost shameful. A City with the beautiful gower on the doorstep, the beach, the football putting it on the map and it's shit.

Have the council down there done nothing??
WelshPatriot

Swansea city centre

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Swansea city centre

Postby Bluebird For Life » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:14 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Found myself down west today and had a walk around the city centre.

Now before I start this isn't a biased Cardiffian post I mean this genuinely.

You can sort of understand their hatred of Cardiff and their "Cardiff gets everything" rhetoric.

As city centres go I'd ask questions of what their council is doing, it's dire literally light years behind your Cardiff's, Bristol etc even Plymouth is better.

It's literally like a forgotten town and it's almost shameful. A City with the beautiful gower on the doorstep, the beach, the football putting it on the map and it's shit.

Football rivalry aside - it really is a shithole. None of the architecture matches so it really looks a mess, the station is miles from the centre, the number of traffic lights is unbelievable, all the hotels/guesthouses on the Mumbles road are in desperate need of renovation, the prison, council offices and the horribly neglected and run down St Helens cricket ground are the most noticeable buildings and it has no sense of identity. Gower is beautiful but it can be reached easily by bypassing Swansea. Its a shame in many ways as Wales needs a proper second city - the years of premier league football have brought nothing to the city at all.
Bluebird For Life

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm

Main problem is they don't have a joined up plan on how to put centre together? It must be best part of 10yrs or more of rd works in sa1 area ffs put a supermarket on a prime site on front! New shoping centre proposed but looking at the plans can see chaos for years to come, council have wasted golden opportunities to make it into a vibrant city like ours but they're failing the residents of Swansea badly :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Walinoz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:33 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:

It can’t be as bad as Plymouth, now that is dire
Walinoz

Postby FloridaBluebird » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Once a Town always a Town, Cathedral or not.
FloridaBluebird

Postby Ninianparkspecial » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:23 pm

I lived there for 3 months. Terrible place.
Ninianparkspecial

Postby CardiffCityBlue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 am

Have to go there Saturday to the libery for the killers

Is there any decent places to eat apart from the floor? Only ever been to Swansea to watch the city
CardiffCityBlue

Postby nicky evans » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am

I think the Welsh goverment have forgot about Swansea because cardiff seems to have all the funding these days it's a shame because the Gower is lovely.
nicky evans

Postby Dahboy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:34 am

On the flip side, I found myself in Cardiff last night at around 6 o'clock for food with family.I must say what a fantastic city we are building :ayatollah:
Dahboy

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:50 pm

nicky evans wrote:I think the Welsh goverment have forgot about Swansea because cardiff seems to have all the funding these days it's a shame because the Gower is lovely.

Yes gower is lovely shame it's in Swansea! :laughing6:
But it's not about gvmnt spending it's about council does with funds Swansea have had loads money but they waste it only got to look at millions spent on rds in centre even taxis don't know where to go? The investment went on sa1 and that's a joke area compared to the bay :old:
pembroke allan

Postby WelshPatriot » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
nicky evans wrote:I think the Welsh goverment have forgot about Swansea because cardiff seems to have all the funding these days it's a shame because the Gower is lovely.

But it's not about gvmnt spending it's about council does with funds Swansea have had loads money but they waste it only got to look at millions spent on rds in centre even taxis don't know where to go? The investment went on sa1 and that's a joke area compared to the bay :old:

SA1 was going to be the jewel in the crown but it's taken too long already businesses are shutting up shop because it wasn't the development they'd hoped.
WelshPatriot

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

SA1 was going to be the jewel in the crown but it's taken too long already businesses are shutting up shop because it wasn't the development they'd hoped.

There's nothing there went once to see and it's got cheap looking houses/ flats a tower block and a supermarket rest is council building and car parks plus dirty big rd separating it from centre! Another problem is just up the rd is a massive university campus & large hosp, the traffic is horrendous all the time ! Cardiff made mistakes but at least bay all joined up :old:
pembroke allan

Postby RV Casual » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:06 pm

CardiffCityBlue wrote:Have to go there Saturday to the libery for the killers

Is there any decent places to eat apart from the floor? Only ever been to Swansea to watch the city

Grape and Olive by the Marina.
RV Casual

Postby RV Casual » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:07 pm

If you think Swansea is bad go and have a look at Newport now that is a dump.

I had to go into town a few weeks ago, grim is not the word.
RV Casual

Postby Gareth (Wilts) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Not been there for years and having been on a few occasions I have no desire to go back. I do feel that the tidal lagoon should have gone ahead and would have bought more employment and investment to the area. The biggest issue I would say is the locals who are the welsh version of scousers. They blame everyone else for their problems many of which are self inflicted. Sometimes you have to get off your backsides and make things happen.
RIP Brian Clark & Eddie May
CCFC Legends
Gareth (Wilts)

Postby AfricanBluebird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:01 am

RV Casual wrote:If you think Swansea is bad go and have a look at Newport now that is a dump.

Agreed. They invested in the new city centre complex but as the saying goes you can't renovate hell.

As for Swansea city centre it doesn't look as if anyone has invested in it for years.

When I worked with the Welsh Government there was a common theme that both Newport and Swansea councils were so parochial they would rather lose out on investment than work with other councils.

I hear things have changed a bit these days but I remember someone from the WAG commenting that of course cardiff get everything because cardiff is progressive and ambitious whereas the others competing citys in wales are more concerned about Mrs Jones knickers being on the washing line at midnight. It was an odd thing to say but I think i understand.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Gareth (Wilts) » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:26 am

RV Casual wrote:If you think Swansea is bad go and have a look at Newport now that is a dump.

I moved to Newport 15 months ago and it is a strange place. Parts of it (friars walk and around civic centre) are fine. Commercial street and areas like Pill, Maesglas and Maindee are horrific and the crime rates and drugs are out of control. The biggest issue Newport has is the backwards council however over past year or so with Severn bridge tolls being cut there has been a 30% rise in house prices and lots of new investment.
CCFC Legends
Gareth (Wilts)

Postby RV Casual » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I moved to Newport 15 months ago and it is a strange place. Parts of it (friars walk and around civic centre) are fine. Commercial street and areas like Pill, Maesglas and Maindee are horrific and the crime rates and drugs are out of control. The biggest issue Newport has is the backwards council however over past year or so with Severn bridge tolls being cut there has been a 30% rise in house prices and lots of new investment.

The Bus Station was my starting point, crikey, what a first impression brutally unwelcoming, smelly and just an awe of horribleness about it, walked up to commercial street not much improvement, nothing against the people who were nice enough.
RV Casual

Postby llangainbluebird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am

A lot of towns and cities in South Wales are pretty grim places.
llangainbluebird

Postby Bluebina » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:50 am

It's a right shit hole, they want to knock it all down and start again !!!
Bluebina

Postby goats » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:08 pm

I don’t get why the tolls going would increase property in Newport. I know Bristol is expensive and all that, but it’s also a decent city. Going to live in Newport instead is probably the same as 3 relegations in a row in comparison. The sooner they build a bridge from cardiff bay straight across the channel and into Bristol city the better.
goats

Postby Plymuff Bloobird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Plymouth is a dump.
Plymuff Bloobird

Postby Wayne S » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm

goats wrote:I don’t get why the tolls going would increase property in Newport. I know Bristol is expensive and all that, but it’s also a decent city. Going to live in Newport instead is probably the same as 3 relegations in a row in comparison. The sooner they build a bridge from cardiff bay straight across the channel and into Bristol city the better.

It's happening. I work in Bristol and there are so many people moving to the Welsh side of the bridge and then commuting.

Gets you on the property ladder.
Wayne S

Postby rumpo kid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Plymouth and Swansea were badly bombed in the war. Cardiff docks is a mile from the town, which pretty much stayed intact.
rumpo kid

Postby Jock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:46 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Plymouth and Swansea were badly bombed in the war. Cardiff docks is a mile from the town, which pretty much stayed intact.

They’ve had 80 years to sort it out mate.
Jock

Postby Gareth (Wilts) » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 pm

goats wrote:I don’t get why the tolls going would increase property in Newport. I know Bristol is expensive and all that, but it’s also a decent city. Going to live in Newport instead is probably the same as 3 relegations in a row in comparison. The sooner they build a bridge from cardiff bay straight across the channel and into Bristol city the better.

Newport is ok. I’ve lived in far worse places and it is slowly dragging its way up. Friars walk development has done a lot of good and there’s 2 big redevelopments going to take place soon (chartist tower conversion into 4 star hotel plus the old Sainsbury’s site being redeveloped for housing) added to the building of an international convention centre at the Celtic manor. It’s a tough city with some bad social problems but it has improved and with more more people moving in it will continue to get better.
CCFC Legends
Gareth (Wilts)

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 am

"They’ve had 80 years to sort it out mate."

It's choice between concrete or historical restoration. Time is irrelevant.
rumpo kid

Postby murphy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Not been there for years and having been on a few occasions I have no desire to go back. I do feel that the tidal lagoon should have gone ahead and would have bought more employment and investment to the area. The biggest issue I would say is the locals who are the welsh version of scousers. They blame everyone else for their problems many of which are self inflicted. Sometimes you have to get off your backsides and make things happen.

The scousers actually have a tidy city though, the jacks don't.

The jacks remind me of third worlders, who blame all their problems on the west, when really they should be looking more towards their corrup governments.

In Swansea, they blame it all on The Senedd when really their biggest problem is at their local council offices.
murphy

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 am

rumpo kid wrote:"They’ve had 80 years to sort it out mate."

It's choice between concrete or historical restoration. Time is irrelevant.

They've certainly havnt done historical restoration past 80yrs what they have done is terrible and poor planning with successive councils failing people of swansea! Look at cardiff centre kept 99% of historic buildings (arcades ect) while building 2 shopping malls since 1981 and the bay still has relics of infustrual past on show. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:24 am

I personally think Newport is getting better slowly.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Next

Return to General Chat