Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Have we failed or learnt in previous years ?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Have been thinking about our recent promotion bids in previous years and the current push for the premier league.
I am just really looking for opinions about it.
I think that if we had gone on to get promotion against blackpool then i think we would have struggled as our squad wasnt very strong. Yes we had ledley, chopra, Jay , burke ect but i dont think we would have had the strength in depth to retain ourselves in the prem. I also think that the investment wouldn't be as high as it would be next year as the Malaysians wouldnt have had such control over the club.
If we were to go up this year which is looking ever more likely then i think we would have a good chance as we would have a squad which has a perfect balance and that extra quality than recent years with Whitts, Bellars, Noone, Mutch, Kim, Maynard, connolly . I also think that the investment in the team would be quite a large sum to cement ourselves in the prem for many years to come.
So do you think we have failed in previous years or actually given ourselves more of a chance to form a better team for the future ?

Re: Have we failed or learnt in previous years ?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 am

Hindsight is great. But I agree with your comments, as the team would haver struggled (especially with Moans in charge).

How much money would have been invested (and on who, with Moans in charge)?

It would have been a quick fix for financial problems, but long term a weak squad (Dave Moans again?) and relegation. Perhaps, even probably, with little chance of bouncing back up (WBA, Newcastle).

So I think the 2 /3 extra years has benefited the club long term. Stronger squad, better manager, better ethos at the club, younger more valuable players. The list goes on. The club is in a much better position in all ways (financially, players, management, structure) and so I believe will be much stronger for the future.