Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NFL Live

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 pm

I have followed the NFL for a few years now and last night I experienced my first live NFL game in America. I previously watched a game at Wembley a few years ago so was eager to check out a game in America. Last night I got to watch my team the Green Bay Packers at home in a divisional game against the Detroit Lions. There is a lot of history at Lambeau Field so that added to the experience.

First off, it snowed heavily throughout the day and as we travelled to Green Bay from Milwaukee which is a 2 hour drive. It was pretty hairy driving but it's nothing like the UK. The UK shuts down after snow but the Americans just crack on with it. We got to the stadium around 2 hours before kick off where we parked on someones front lawn for $10. Every property near the stadium was doing this which surprised the hell out of me on how they are allowed to charge people to park on their property. This was way cheaper than parking at the Stadium.

Tailgating is a big thing at the NFL. And we seen plenty of this as we entered the area around the stadium. Loads of fans drinking and eating in the car park in their erected marquee's with BBQ's and tables full of snacks. There was a party atmosphere in the air on a cold snowy sunday night.

We entered the stadium and took our seats which actually was a cold wet metal bench! The game got underway and the crowd was in full swing. Throughout the game fans where allowed to drink and didnt even have to leave their seats to get a cold beer with vendors walking up and down the blocks with buckets full of beer. We was surrounded by crazy drunk americans shouting and screaming all through the game. Very very passionate about their team for 3/4 hours.

All in all the match day experience at an american football game shits all over a match day at a football game. From start to finish there was a party atmosphere. The crowd was loud all the way through from kick off till end. Even when we was losing 14-0 the crowd was still well behind the team. All this on a snowy Sunday night is just crazy. I was totally blown away and still am today. We can defiantly learn a few things on match day experience from these guys.

Re: NFL Live

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 pm

This pretty much sums up the game experience before kick off.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/vid ... 79bd4f6f0f

Re: NFL Live

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm

I'd have to disagree with you sorry.
Tailgating to me is pretty lame, when you have to watch TV in the back is somebody's truck or play games to enjoy yourself.

I actually went to the Redskins Baltimore game yesterday as I was given free passes.
While I actually enjoyed it...I would take going to watch Cardiff any day.

That snow up in Green Bay looked nuts on the TV.