Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Maynard, Goals,and theJanuary transfer window

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm

I was wondering although Maynard was bought for just under 3 million as a integral part of our push for automatic promotion me and quite a few other fans were concerned when he got injured as he was brought here as the main attacking threat given the responsibility to supply the lion share of our goals to get us to the Premiership so the popular consensus was he needed to be replaced ASAP but looking at the League table after 21 games and with Maynard only appearing in 3 games ( have to admit he looked sharp and capable of scoring a bundle for us ) we have amassed 42 goals which nearing the half way stage of the season we stand as the Leagues top scorers with goals coming from all positions we look capable of scoring most games and have frequently hit the net a few times in defeat ( games we probably should have won such as Palace,Charlton) so my point being do we really need to go out and replace Maynard come January? as scoring on a regular basis does not appear to be a problem also with the emergence of Ben Nugent this has made any urgency of signing a fullback more relaxed and if MM went out and filled these positions come January would this cause discontent within the ranks? as the old adage says if it's not broke don't try to fix it and after all we are scoring our far share of goals and as of lately we have tightened up at the back.

Re: Maynard, Goals,and theJanuary transfer window

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:33 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:I was wondering although Maynard was bought for just under 3 million as a integral part of our push for automatic promotion me and quite a few other fans were concerned when he got injured as he was brought here as the main attacking threat given the responsibility to supply the lion share of our goals to get us to the Premiership so the popular consensus was he needed to be replaced ASAP but looking at the League table after 21 games and with Maynard only appearing in 3 games ( have to admit he looked sharp and capable of scoring a bundle for us ) we have amassed 42 goals which nearing the half way stage of the season we stand as the Leagues top scorers with goals coming from all positions we look capable of scoring most games and have frequently hit the net a few times in defeat ( games we probably should have won such as Palace,Charlton) so my point being do we really need to go out and replace Maynard come January? as scoring on a regular basis does not appear to be a problem also with the emergence of Ben Nugent this has made any urgency of signing a fullback more relaxed and if MM went out and filled these positions come January would this cause discontent within the ranks? as the old adage says if it's not broke don't try to fix it and after all we are scoring our far share of goals and as of lately we have tightened up at the back.

Yes because if he had stayed fit we would have had another ten goals and would be ten points clear :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm

we've also hit the woodwork 15 times more than any other team in the league. Attacking isn't a problem

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Anybody else think we are destined for the playoffs again? I do. I'd put down most of my reasons in this ere thread but my thumbs are hurting. ill tell you this though... I can see one team from the crowd rising up and taking one of the top 2 spots. Bolton maybe. And hull taking the other top 2 spot. I can see us having enough about us to win the playoffs though. Just cannot see us being good enough for automatic promotion. 5th place finnish for us.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm

It wasnt so much Maynard 's injury alone. More that it coincided with Bellamy's injury issues and dip in form.

Remember, a team has to set up differently against you when you have real pace up front; it's as much about how the other teams approached us as it is about what we lost going forward.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Anybody else think we are destined for the playoffs again? I do. I'd put down most of my reasons in this ere thread but my thumbs are hurting. ill tell you this though... I can see one team from the crowd rising up and taking one of the top 2 spots. Bolton maybe. And hull taking the other top 2 spot. I can see us having enough about us to win the playoffs though. Just cannot see us being good enough for automatic promotion. 5th place finnish for us.

Why? I think bolton could make a push but i feel hull and palace will struggle to stay in touch with the top two as will mboro if they dont spend.
Leicester have a strong squad and if cardiff strengthen i feel they will be the top two at the end of the season :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:37 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Anybody else think we are destined for the playoffs again? I do. I'd put down most of my reasons in this ere thread but my thumbs are hurting. ill tell you this though... I can see one team from the crowd rising up and taking one of the top 2 spots. Bolton maybe. And hull taking the other top 2 spot. I can see us having enough about us to win the playoffs though. Just cannot see us being good enough for automatic promotion. 5th place finnish for us.

Teams are scared to come to Cardiff. I honestly believe that if Zaha goes in January that Palace will slide down the table.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:00 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:I was wondering although Maynard was bought for just under 3 million as a integral part of our push for automatic promotion me and quite a few other fans were concerned when he got injured as he was brought here as the main attacking threat given the responsibility to supply the lion share of our goals to get us to the Premiership so the popular consensus was he needed to be replaced ASAP but looking at the League table after 21 games and with Maynard only appearing in 3 games ( have to admit he looked sharp and capable of scoring a bundle for us ) we have amassed 42 goals which nearing the half way stage of the season we stand as the Leagues top scorers with goals coming from all positions we look capable of scoring most games and have frequently hit the net a few times in defeat ( games we probably should have won such as Palace,Charlton) so my point being do we really need to go out and replace Maynard come January? as scoring on a regular basis does not appear to be a problem also with the emergence of Ben Nugent this has made any urgency of signing a fullback more relaxed and if MM went out and filled these positions come January would this cause discontent within the ranks? as the old adage says if it's not broke don't try to fix it and after all we are scoring our far share of goals and as of lately we have tightened up at the back.

anyone else's head almost explode reading this? :lol:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:49 pm

I find this statement crazy.

We have plenty of evidence to suggest that City CAN stay up (i.e. we are top two, and have been for
most of the season)

You have NO evidence to suggest that a team is going to come in with a late run from the pack.

Yes it often does happen. But you are saying we arent good enough?

Top goalscorers. and our defence has proper shored up. What more does a team need to do?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Damned Yank wrote:It wasnt so much Maynard 's injury alone. More that it coincided with Bellamy's injury issues and dip in form.

Remember, a team has to set up differently against you when you have real pace up front; it's as much about how the other teams approached us as it is about what we lost going forward.

It is a fair point but you are saying Maynard has not and would have never been missed from the team then ?.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:02 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

Cant see anyone holding a gun to your head or forcing you to read it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Finding a good replacement for Maynard, a striker, is very difficult. Any striker worth its salt will be a gamble such as Jason Roberts was for Reading. He was not playing when he went to Reading but they took the gamble and it worked out for them.

All the strikers named on this site lately range from neight on impossible to get, Rhodes, to highly unlikely, Bent. Graham seems the favourite but he is just as highly unlikely as any of them.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:19 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Cant see anyone holding a gun to your head or forcing you to read it :lol: :lol: :lol:

nope, and im sure you write good points..... just learn to punctuate :lol:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:20 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
Damned Yank wrote:It wasnt so much Maynard 's injury alone. More that it coincided with Bellamy's injury issues and dip in form.

It is a fair point but you are saying Maynard has not and would have never been missed from the team then ?.

No, it's precisely because he would have scored goals that they would have set up differently.

Both sides of the coin are important.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:

We have plenty of evidence to suggest that City CAN stay up (i.e. we are top two, and have been for
most of the season)

You have NO evidence to suggest that a team is going to come in with a late run from the pack.

Top goalscorers. and our defence has proper shored up. What more does a team need to do?

I read it earlier and thought the same as you. How can you be that pessimistic to think we'll finish fifth?!

We're the force in this division and will move away from the also-rans soon

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:41 pm

CityGent wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

most of the season)

I read it earlier and thought the same as you. How can you be that pessimistic to think we'll finish fifth?!

We're the force in this division and will move away from the also-rans soon

on balance of what has gone on so far we will be there or there abouts! not going to lose to many points at home, away form is on even keel, and more importantly this team under malky will not go on bad run as already been proven! so i expect us to be top/second at worse. :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

If you want to pick up on peoples grammar you could spend quite some time on this forum but why be trivial like yourself when you cant take the comeback :lol: :lol: :lol: if you cant give an opinion and have to answer a question with a question it is clear you have missed the irony of this thread ;) Two points
1 check out the number of views regarding this thread.
2 Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :o.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Teams are scared to come to Cardiff. I honestly believe that if Zaha goes in January that Palace will slide down the table.

I doubt it, simply because he hasn't been that good for them.

If you're looking for Palace's main performer, look no further than Yannick Bolasie.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

If you want to pick up on peoples grammar you could spend quite some time on this forum but why be trivial like yourself when you cant take the comeback :lol: :lol: :lol: if you cant give an opinion and have to answer a question with a question it is clear you have missed the irony of this thread ;) Two points

just pointing out that writing an entire post that big without so much as a full stop is hard work to read :lol:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm

With Maynard playing and scoring regularly for us, which he would have without a doubt, just think how further clear we could be at the top. We've done well with a lot of class players missing.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 am

paulh_85 wrote:
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

just pointing out that writing an entire post that big without so much as a full stop is hard work to read :lol:

Well as I have already stated maybe if it was too much for your pea brain to take in so I will repeat again no one was forcing you to read it and you probably should have looked at another thread that your sarcasm might have gained more meirt :lol: :lol: :lol: plain and simple if you got

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:08 am

you are making less and less sense with every post :lol:

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am

paulh_85 wrote:you are making less and less sense with every post :lol:

I suggest you read the initial thread then if you cant give an informed response go ask your care worker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: