Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do you believe Zaha is the next product of the hype train?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 pm

For me, he is very gifted but massively overhyped as well.

In the same way Tom Ince is and Walcott was just because they are English.

Don't get me wrong, all obviously have talent but they were all victims of massive hype in their younger days and it was obvious they were never quite going to be the 'class' some deluded idiots thought they would. The media are massively to blame also.

Zaha, all we hear all season is how class he is, how he is winning games on his own but for me he will be the next Scott Sinclair. He will excel at this level and either do poorly in the Prem or perform to a just below average level.

Any other players been hyped up this bad?

Re: Do you believe Zaha is the next product of the hype trai

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:24 pm

I think he's overrated. Just look at his goalscoring record, 11 goals in about 100 appearances. As a striker, especially with his pace you need to be able to score goals. Sure he does have potential and is a talent, but I'd much prefer someone like Heidar Helguson who scores goals

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Time will only tell..

Last seasons carling cup he tore ManUre a new arsehole ..
But we kept him quiet...

He has talent and deserves to be playing at a higher level IMO..

Think he will go to Manure and eventually get farmed out on loan then sold if he doesn't make a impact in his first few years .

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Advertised on bill boards all over their area on slogan boards reading "He's Just too good for you"

Maybe they were meant for Murray? (top striker!)

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:27 pm

The only player i can recall that has progressed from the hype as a youngster is Wayne Rooney.

Remember John Bostock all those years ago, amazing hype for a 16 year old but now he's in the reserves at Spurs being loaned out to League 1 and 2 clubs. The press in this country put so much pressure on these kids and the hype gets to their heads.

When Zaha played against us, the only thing i saw as pace. He really didnt do that much to be given a price tag of £10-15 million but i guess thats the football world we live in nowadays.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:06 pm

himynameismartyn wrote:The only player i can recall that has progressed from the hype as a youngster is Wayne Rooney.

Remember John Bostock all those years ago, amazing hype for a 16 year old but now he's in the reserves at Spurs being loaned out to League 1 and 2 clubs. The press in this country put so much pressure on these kids and the hype gets to their heads.

When Zaha played against us, the only thing i saw as pace. He really didnt do that much to be given a price tag of £10-15 million but i guess thats the football world we live in nowadays.

This seems to be the problem in my opinion in the UK. Many hype up players with pace but those with pure technical ability get ignored. You look at someone like Zaha and because they are fast and have some flair they get all the plaudits whereas someone like Mutch who is solid at doing his job in the centre, winning the ball back and passing it to someone like Whittingham to dictate play is overlooked by many. Absolutely ridiculous. Just as well we have a manager who appreciates talent from many angles rather than just one. You could say that is why we have such quality. I've noticed a lot of teams we have played are either just all tall or just pure pace. We have a mixture of qualities all over the pitch which is why I believe we will go up.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Just another Giles Barnes scenario waiting to happen

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Agree with most of the above.Thats why I think Malkys doing a great job with young Mason.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:15 pm

great talent but agree over hyped at the moment, if and when he moves to the prem it will be very interesting to see if he can hold his own, only player at this present time I don't believe is over hyped is stereling :ayatollah: