Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Money ruined football

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Whats the point of the prem. only a hand full of teams can win it,and getting fewer every year,lets face it ,it's between the two Manchester clubs for this years title.Even a team of Arsenals stature is'nt getting a look in.When i was growing up in the 70's teams like Derby county was winning the league.And what chance a team comming up from the championship and winning the title,like Forest.Back in the60's a provincial team like Burnley could win it.
As for the champions league,what a bore,bring back the days when it was the champions,playing home and away knockout football.Can't be bothered watching champions league ,or match of the day[unless the jacks lose]it's all too predictable.Money talks.

Re: Money ruined football

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I totally agree. Money in football is beyond ridiculous and money they spend on players and wages could of gone somewhere more urgent and can make a difference. Football should just be a sport and not a business :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Yes you are right, But its only the fans to blame really. We the fans want the best ,and the clubs know they have to get the best they can and dig deep, cos Fans demand success. So to get that the players know they can demand big pay, and the clubs has to pay it, then they pass it on to us.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Money has ruined football for years and yet I still follow Cardiff. :lol:

If it got way out of hand I think I'd just watch the local welsh team.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Money ruins everything i.e. families, marriages, businesses, etc.

Yet we have become so dependent on it as a society we continue in this vicious circle.

Football is unfortunately one of the many victims of money.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:35 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:Yes you are right, But its only the fans to blame really. We the fans want the best ,and the clubs know they have to get the best they can and dig deep, cos Fans demand success. So to get that the players know they can demand big pay, and the clubs has to pay it, then they pass it on to us.

What about sponsors, SKY sports and rich foreign investors, surely there as much to blame also. as much as i love football, i do think the prices some teams pay for players and wages are ridiculous

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:Whats the point of the prem. only a hand full of teams can win it,and getting fewer every year,lets face it ,it's between the two Manchester clubs for this years title.Even a team of Arsenals stature is'nt getting a look in.When i was growing up in the 70's teams like Derby county was winning the league.And what chance a team comming up from the championship and winning the title,like Forest.Back in the60's a provincial team like Burnley could win it.
As for the champions league,what a bore,bring back the days when it was the champions,playing home and away knockout football.Can't be bothered watching champions league ,or match of the day[unless the jacks lose]it's all too predictable.Money talks.

Totally agree. The prem was all about the top few clubs getting richer and the money the players now earn is farcical. I love Cardiff City but my interest in the game overall has waned massively over recent years

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:17 am

If everyone stopped paying ridicules amounts to sky then maybe football can recover to what it was. Maybe then we could get back to terraces as long as fans safety was to the forefront.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 am

StockrA wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:Yes you are right, But its only the fans to blame really. We the fans want the best ,and the clubs know they have to get the best they can and dig deep, cos Fans demand success. So to get that the players know they can demand big pay, and the clubs has to pay it, then they pass it on to us.

What about sponsors, SKY sports and rich foreign investors, surely there as much to blame also. as much as i love football, i do think the prices some teams pay for players and wages are ridiculous

Yes Sky and over sea investors also want a return on the money they lay out. So its always passed on to the the paying public in some way or other. there is only a certain amount of money going around in football, ( massive as it is ) and the Bubble at some time has to pop.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:51 am

Had a quick look at the table this morning, swap West Brom with Liverpool at this current moment and the status quo is there for all to see. I've said it many times on here, but there is a lot to be said for the competitiveness in the championship.