Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: A MASTERCLASS OF A DISPLAY, BUT

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:27 am

carlccfc wrote:
CityGent wrote:Will the debt get turned to equity?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lakey, personally I would rather be debt free than anything else, I may be in minority but that's ultimately what my wish would be.

I have enjoyed tonight and loved every minute of it. :ayatollah:

Seen as Anthony brought it up, I am loving the football, every minute of it. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
But I am very worried about the debt and I personally do not believe Tan will convert it in to shares/equity.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 am

if VT sells us as a prem club he will recoup his million easily,prob will before he een sells us. look at huwie down the rd not pot pissin and hs own company failed....

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 am

goats wrote:if VT sells us as a prem club he will recoup his million easily,prob will before he een sells us. look at huwie down the rd not pot pissin and hs own company failed....

WE OWE TAN £100M - (Or however much it is)

Right now, if he left. The Club would immediately go into Administration and he'd get
f**k all of his £100m. Not a chance. nothing. But the Club would go down the drain...

Unless another buyer could be found

If he turns that debt into equity, he would officially become the owner of the Club.
Cardiff City will be his. If he THEN decided to leave, he could sell off the Club brick
by brick, player by player and the Club would still go down the drain.

Unless another buyer could be found

As I posted above.. If Tan GAVE the Club £100m, and took over as the rightful owner...
he could STILL dismantle the Club brick by brick if he decided he'd had enough.

The only possible scenario where Cardiff City would be PERFECTLY SAFE would be if Tan
left now and said "keep my money"... Well I'm sorry, but thats not happening.

Apart from the rebrand, he is being painted as some kind of Bad Man. But without him
the Club may have already gone down the drain.

Look where we are, its down to TAN. Nobody else

We should just look at all this rationally. He has his reasons for pumping all this money into
Cardiff City. One of them is definitely NOT so he can destroy Cardiff City. We have to trust
him, and I think we can. Unless somebody can come up with an ulterior motive for him spending
all this money?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:29 pm

There was an interesting link on here to a recent business interview with Tan given at a conference. Basically, he said his investment mentality is adhering to the law of averages. If he invests in 10 companies, 2 will come good and the profit from these outweighs the losses from the others. And he's got plenty of capital and access to more so funding/leverage is no issue. But I don't think Tan sees CCFC as a pure investment vehicle in this way.

Buying a football club as a traditional investment is probably the last thing you'd do if you were looking to make money i.e. buying low, building value and selling high. Tan has made his money and doesn't play an active role in Berjaya. I think that it really has more to do with a combination of things that have been mentioned on here before. Yes, I've been concerned (probably always will be) about what his motive is and what this means to us. I worked in and around global investment banking for many years and its a different world that moves at a pace. I also recently worked for 3 years for a Malaysian IT firm since moving back to Wales and the owners were cost-concious to the extreme. So our financial situation interests me. And I'm actually OK with it.

I think a key business benefit will be subjective as in a marketing tool across his other businesses (pay tv, gambling, consumer products etc). Premier league status will mean the club is rubbing shoulders with the football "establishment" and those teams are famous the world over - there's proven global appetite for Premiership football as we all know. I also think that there is the gravitas and status of owning a Premiership club given his position. Its high on the the list of the other well known owners of clubs and I believe the same with Tan.

It also seems that is common practice to load a club up with "debt" as part of the financial structure of outright ownership - who else would then buy it if the owner ever threatened to walk away?

I personally think that we are in very good shape for the future only from what I see being actually delivered at the club and by also what I can gather about the Malaysians and their development intentions. And their actually delivering. There's plenty about modern football that I despise but that's where we are as a club and there's plenty that would love to be in our position. Playing in red is one thing I will never get used too but I support Cardiff City Football Club, whatever happens. I've supported City since a kid in the late '70's and the far-off dream was playing in the top flight (1st Division will always sound better than Premiership to me). We are almost there and I've waited a fecking long time for it.

This statement may come back to bite me on the arse but that's my honest opinion on where we are and why I am not fixating on the debt. I think the whole situation is different to where we and others have been before and I'm pretty bullish about where we are headed. That said, that fecking awful badge needs to get binned ASAP. C'mon Bluebirds.