Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Pedersen was never happy that straight-talking Bellamy

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Norwegian international Morten Pedersen has warned his Blackburn Rovers team-mates: “Beware the electric shock treatment from Bellamy.”

The two men played together for Rovers in 2005-06 when manager Mark Hughes paid Celtic £5m for Craig Bellamy and the Welsh hitman fired 17 goals in 26 starts.

Blackburn finished sixth in the Premier League and Pedersen, who has played for the Lancashire club over the last eight years, revealed he was never close to Bellers.

Pedersen, it seems, was never happy that straight-talking Bellamy was quick to tell his team-mates what was expected of them.

Listen: This week's Blakey's Bootroom podcast

“We’ve never been big friends, that’s just the way it is,” said Pedersen. “When I see him I say hi, but we were never close. You always get players like that in every game.

“When you see players they can be so calm and nice off the pitch, but when they are playing they can be like an electric shock sometimes.

“I think it’s the personality. When you go into the game it’s game mode, you go into like a trance. I think that’s where you can see people looking so arrogant and the worst guy in the world on the pitch, but when you actually meet them outside they are really nice. Very calm and very quiet.

“It’s just the way it is. I had no problem, you can say whatever you want. If I don’t like it, it goes in one ear and out the other!

“The main thing is that when Bellamy played for Blackburn he was a good player who helped the team.

“I played alongside him and I know his quality. But Cardiff City are not just about Craig Bellamy.

“The reason they are doing so well is because of the team. He does give them extras with his pace and his experience but it’s the whole team which is the main thing.”

Bellamy spent one full season with Blackburn before he was on the move again, signing for Liverpool in a £6m transfer.

Now he is a key player for Cardiff and has made 11 Championship appearances for Cardiff this season, scoring two goals. He has started in the last two matches and played 90 minutes during the 1-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday at home.

He is likely to link up with Heidar Helguson in attack against Blackburn this evening and Bluebirds manager Malky Mackay is delighted the Wales international is now fully fit and firing.

“He is a top-class player,” says Mackay. “Unfortunately it’s been stop-start for him this season. He has had a couple of knocks and injuries so it was good he came through 90 minutes last weekend with no problems.

“Craig has made a great impact for us this season. He is a fantastic trainer and does so much to help players around him on the training ground and in matches.

“He has an effect on other players because he wants to raise standards all the time. People are expected to do better and be better in training. That’s the impact he has made here.”

Pedersen, 30, who has made almost 350 appearances for Rovers, finds himself under pressure as he prepares for tonight’s clash at Ewood Park.

Fellow Norwegian Josh King, a 20-year-old loan signing from Manchester United who was born in Oslo, went on for Pedersen 10 minutes into the second half of Blackburn’s 1-1 draw against Burnley in their last match.

King was outstanding and Rovers manager Henning Berg is thought to be pondering whether to start with King against the Bluebirds.

Pedersen, though, is intent on doing all he can to help his team as they aim for a first win in four home matches. Blackburn lie ninth in the Championship table.

“We are 12 points behind Cardiff, it would close the gap to nine and if we win the next game and they lose it is six,” he says.

“It is so tight. If you get back-to-back wins in this league you can fly up the table.”

“We have the quality to climb the table and we are working to ensure we click as a team and get things working,” he said.

“We know when things work that we are really good. At Leeds in the first half, we should have been 4-0 up that day and we were unlucky not to be.

“But we can’t think that we are better than we are, we just have to work hard.

“Even if we finish sixth, as long as we go up that is the main thing but it would be really nice to get one of the automatic promotion places.

“To win the league would be fantastic, but the main thing is to go back to the Premier League at the end of the season.

“It’s going to be tough, but it is important for us now to win against Cardiff.

“We have watched the videos and I’ve played against them before. We played against them in the cup so we know them a little bit. They are a strong side.”

Pedersen played for Rovers against City in FA Cup action during 2004-05. He scored in a 1-1 draw at Ninian Park, with Alan Lee equalising, and again in the replay when Rovers won 3-2.

Jobi McAnuff and James Collins netted for Cardiff, while Pedersen, David Thompson (2) and Pedersen steered their team to victory at Ewood Park.

Pedersen was also in Blackburn’s team last season when Malky Mackay’s men defeated their Premier League visitors 2-0 en-route to the Carling Cup final against Liverpool at Wembley Stadium. Kenny Miller and Anthony Gerrard fired the Bluebirds goals at Cardiff City Stadium.

Tonight, Pedersen is hoping he will go head-to-head with City and his old team-mate Bellamy. First, though, he must be given the nod to start ahead of midfield rival King.

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2EN6omQp3

Re: Pedersen was never happy that straight-talking Bellamy

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Thought it was Kiss who scored the second that night :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm

didnt we beat blackburn 3-0 that night?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Bellers should have given him the John Arne Riise treatment the little norwegian queer

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:08 pm

What a pathetic pointless interview.

Hardly an insight is it? Oh, Bellamy is a 'straight talker'...

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 pm

"Bellamy is straight-talking and passionate on the pitch" - Everyone that has ever seen Craig play football, ever.