Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Footballers attitude today - where it all went wrong

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 am

When they scrapped the Aprenticeship , cleaning boots , cleaning showers and all the other duties.

Now at 16 many think they are " superstars".

How wrong did football get that ?

Re: Footballers attitude today - where it all went wrong

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 am

Daya wrote:When they scrapped the Aprenticeship , cleaning boots , cleaning showers and all the other duties.

100 % wrong.

It can be said for other professions as well. The amount of kids today with their piece of paper/university degree bringing a style of man management with them thinking they know life. Personally I feel they are taking the country backwards.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Daya wrote:When they scrapped the Aprenticeship , cleaning boots , cleaning showers and all the other duties.

100 % wrong.

It can be said for other professions as well. The amount of kids today with their piece of paper/university degree bringing a style of man management with them thinking they know life. Personally I feel they are taking the country backwards.

In my opinion it depends on the degree. I went into work but just knew it was a profession I didn't want to do so at 20 I decided to go to university and pursue a career im interested in, computing. Unfortunately, unless you are extremely lucky, you need a degree to go anywhere higher up in this sector so I had to go to university.

However, there are loads of students going to university and freeloading an education knowing fully well the chances of them getting a job are minuscule at the end of it. I have done freelancing work and have already had job offers so I know I will do OK. It depends entirely on the circumstances of the individual in my opinion. There are plenty at university doing 2-4 hours of lectures per week which is ridiculous. My course is intense and stressful but I know it'll be worth it in the long run. :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 am

Agree with all 3 above.
People think you just start at the top in a job these days.
They do not want to work and lack the experience of life, work, manangement etc.

The army make you start at the bottom, and it should take about 10 years to get to sergeant.
You have done your apprenticship, learnt the job, know how to behave and are an asset to your battalion, country and yourself and those serving with you.
It is then approx 2/3 years per rank if you are up to it.
You could always bottle out mind, and go for a commission at WO level?
Thats if you prefer not to work for a living (military people will understand).

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:40 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

100 % wrong.

I mean't 100% right. :oops:

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 am

Spot on!

I started on a building site 14 years ago as an engineers chainman while going through college/uni, after uni I decided I didnt like it anymore and have bounced around getting the valuable experience needed for the job I'm in now.

Im working in the media now, has absolutely nothing to do with what i studied when I was younger (unless you count media studies at GCSE nearly 15 years ago :old: ), but through the years of hard work and a few mishaps I am able to my job a lot better than some spotty little grease monkey fresh out of uni!

Have to agree with the comment above regarding the military also, I think a bit of national service would sort out a lot of wrongs in this country but that is another topic entirely. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 pm

glas wrote:Agree with all 3 above.
People think you just start at the top in a job these days.
They do not want to work and lack the experience of life, work, manangement etc.

The army make you start at the bottom, and it should take about 10 years to get to sergeant.
You have done your apprenticship, learnt the job, know how to behave and are an asset to your battalion, country and yourself and those serving with you.
It is then approx 2/3 years per rank if you are up to it.
You could always bottle out mind, and go for a commission at WO level?
Thats if you prefer not to work for a living (military people will understand).

Haha.

I looked at going for commission and would recommend any youngster do the same. This going against what I support here. :shock:

Lets be honest a worker in this country gets treated like shit. So why not start up the ladder as high as you can from the start. Even more so with the governments of he decades taking away the workers rights.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:23 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

100 % wrong.

In my opinion it depends on the degree. I went into work but just knew it was a profession I didn't want to do so at 20 I decided to go to university and pursue a career im interested in, computing. Unfortunately, unless you are extremely lucky, you need a degree to go anywhere higher up in this sector so I had to go to university.

However, there are loads of students going to university and freeloading an education knowing fully well the chances of them getting a job are minuscule at the end of it. I have done freelancing work and have already had job offers so I know I will do OK. It depends entirely on the circumstances of the individual in my opinion. There are plenty at university doing 2-4 hours of lectures per week which is ridiculous. My course is intense and stressful but I know it'll be worth it in the long run. :ayatollah:

I hate to tell you this but you are being ripped off. I went to Uni for 4 years and I got a degree in computing. Whilst on the course I was led to beleive that there would be this queue of companies ready to throw money at me. Everyone else on the course thought exactly the same.

Here's a test for you. Go around the Uni staff who work there. Ask the one's you would expect to have qualifications in computing like the support staff, engineers etc. See how many got degrees or MS certs etc. You'll find the only ones that got anything are the teaching staff. And even some of those haven't!

I know for a fact that the University's prefer to employ people who have MS certs and Cisco certs over the degree's they sell themselves. I went to one interview after graduating and it was specified for the job that you had to have a computing degree "or equivalent". I spoke to the other candidates whilst we were all wating and only one other had a degree. ALL the others had MS certs. Guess which one got the job! And in fact they made us all sit a test, which was completely new to me at the time even though I'd just finised my degree. Have a guess what the test was? It was an extract from an actual MS certs test! I passed it but I'd never seen that test before unlike the other candidates.

Fact is the University's are selling qualifications in computing that they DO NOT recognise themselves. In recent years I've worked for two large IT company's and in both I was the only one who had a degree. That's all employers want to see is Microsoft certificates and Cisco certificates. FACT!

You can do a two week course for MS for around £5000 and you can get a Cisco one for about £400 these days. FAR CHEAPER than the amounts of money the University's are charging. Plus they recognise them over and above.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Daya I don't often agree with you but your right its not just footballers though I think it applies in most jobs as well

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Nah, it's all do with their names yer cheecky chirpy cockney coont. I don't think this is the original version of a great piece of writing that done the interweb rounds a good few years ago, doesn't have the same style but copied in full from a Newcastle Board...

“I’m feeling all angry about these modern day footballers, I know why – they have gone all soft. It’s because of poncy names. That’s what it is. Remember the old days, when footy players kicked a f*cking ball made out of ten pound of clay stitched inside a steel-reinforced leather shell with laces made out of piano wire? Well, in them days, players could only survive the rigours of the game because they were called things like Albert, Arthur, Bert, Harry, Bill, Eddie, Bob, Jack and Tommy. F***ing tough names for tough men, them was!

And what do we have now? Jason, Wayne, Dean, Ryan, Jamie, Robbie. f*cking tarts’ names, they are great big f*cking puffs. No wonder the ball’s like a f*cking balloon and their shin pads are like slices of bread. In the old days you never saw a Len Shackleton or a Billy Wright with a puffy little Sondico piece of paper down his little thin socks. F***ing shin pads in them days was made out of library books, and sock’s was like sackcloth. Same with the jerseys, f*cking shirts with holes in now so they can breathe. Yes, so that little Jody’s hairless chest can breathe and he doesn’t get a chill. f**k off. Stanley Matthews used to dribble round Europe’s finest wearing a f***ing tent and shorts cobbled together from the jacket of his de-mob suit. Aye, he f*cking did. No wonder players fall over all the time whenever an opponent comes anywhere near them. And they never used to show their arses at one another either. Can you imagine what might have happened if Don Revie had flashed his ring at Nat Lofthouse during a Man City-Bolton Wanderers game? He’d have got one of them size 10 hobnail fuckers up his b*stard chuff.

f*cking therapy for stress my arse! Stan Collymore slaps his missus about and he takes three seasons off with stress counselling. What the f**k is that all about? In the old days it was expected for footballers to belt the old sow about a bit, especially after a bad defeat. And the women used to expect it, and so they should have. They was lucky to be married to footballers. Ha! Trevor Morley got a kitchen knife in his back off his wife and was out of action for three month, soft tw*t. Archie McShitt of Port Vale got run over with horse and cart one Friday night and he still turned out against Bradford the following day and he scored two goals. That’s because his name wasn’t “Trevor”. Good old Archie. Broke his hip, both his legs, murdered his wife and buried her under the patio and still made the England team for the Home Internationals. Did he have any “stress counselling”? Did he bollocks!

And drugs? There was none of that in the old days. Oh, no. In them days it was a quick shot of morphine before kick-off and you was lucky if you got that. By half-time it had all but wore off so they pumped you full of laudanum. None of this cocaine sniffing and shooting up Class ‘A’ narcotics. ‘Goal celebrations’? Don’t talk to me about goal celebrations. Crawling on the floor and thrusting their hips at the crowd. Huh! I’d like to have seen Cliff Bastin do that after a run down the left flank and crossing for Alex James to fire home a winner. Handshakes…and that was all you got, that and a wank in the showers afterwards. But it was a proper wank, all man stuff. None of these puffy wanks between blokes that I reckon you get nowadays what with players like Greame Le Saux and Stephen Gerrard playing the game.

Allegedly, In them days there was now’t wrong with it cos it didn’t mean now’t. They used to say there was a “gay atmosphere” in the dressing room after the match. But it didn’t mean owt mucky. Just a bit of harmless spanking the plank among healthy young sportsmen, aye. I know me dad told me. Sixty grand a f*cking week! Ha! I wouldn’t pay ‘em tuppence. Two bob Tommy Lawton used to get…a month! And Tom Finney still worked as a plumber four days a week when he was playing for England. It’s true, you know, it f*cking is. Players had to work in them days just to make up their money. Not like today. Stan Pearson had to clean sewers and doubled up as Old Trafford shithouse cleaner. He had to go off during one game because some c**t had built a log cabin and blocked the U-bend. And that Eddie Hapgood was a male model…though he never liked to talk about it.

So I say we start calling kids real male names again. If you’re having a kid, don’t even consider puffy names and shit names like what people call their kids these days. Otherwise what we gonna get in twenty years’ time?

The England team full of players called Keanu, Ronan, Ashley and f*cking Chesney. f**k that! Call your kids Alf, Herbert, Len, Frank, Fred and Wilf. And let’s get the puffs out of the game once and for all.

Thanks to Big Gerry

I'll have a search to see if I can find the orginal..

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:59 pm

It is..

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a ... _id=006Zdf

October 2001