Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Premier league a strong league?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 am

Barry Chuckle is roath magic NQAT.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 am

Not really, seeing as they are already out of this seasons.

We are on about CURRENT - not the past...

Champions? OUT
Holders? OUT

Yet Celtic are still in ? Says it all!!

Premier league is still strong, but not the strongest anymore.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:Not really, seeing as they are already out of this seasons.

We are on about CURRENT - not the past...

Champions? OUT
Holders? OUT

Yet Celtic are still in ? Says it all!!

Premier league is still strong, but not the strongest anymore.

scottish league must be better than the spanish then! i mean, they beat barcelona after all :roll:

chelsea won the champions league and couldnt get into the top four in the league.

also there is a history of teams getting promoted and doing well straight away. Newcastle (twice) stoke, reading (first time) ipswich ages ago had a good season, wigan etc etc

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:42 am

NJ73 wrote:
And yet an English club won the Champions league last season :lol:

I'd say that points towards the PL being as strong as it's ever been.

In the last 8 years, it has been won by a PL side 3 times, a Spanish side 3 times and an Italian side twice. In that period, 8 of the 16 finalists have been English clubs.

I would suggest your argument on the basis of Champions league performance is flawed.

2008- 09 Champions League competition England ad 3 of te 4 semi finalists but it was a Spanish club that won it. That devalues your argument the EPL is just as strong.

There is a lot of dross in the premier and that has shown especially this year. Two well established premier clubs are now struggling in the championship, Bolton and Blackburn. There are 2 yo yo clubs that are not so yo yo ish, Wolves and Birmingham, both club big enough to be premier but simple are not good enough. I could go on about other clubs like Portsmouth and others who spent many years inthe premier but look like they wont be returning for a while. It makes you wonder how much more dross is in the top league surviving because only 3 can come down.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 am

Bakedalasker wrote:2008- 09 Champions League competition England ad 3 of te 4 semi finalists but it was a Spanish club that won it. That devalues your argument the EPL is just as strong.

if anything it makes his point more valid surely? :?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:2008- 09 Champions League competition England ad 3 of te 4 semi finalists but it was a Spanish club that won it. That devalues your argument the EPL is just as strong.

No.

That was 2008-09, we are talking about 2011-12 where England can only get 50% of its teams through to the next stage.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

No.

That was 2008-09, we are talking about 2011-12 where England can only get 50% of its teams through to the next stage.

one of which has a poor european rating and as such was drawn into a league containing 4 champions.

a league is only as good as its weakest team, and in this case the premier leagues overall quality outdoes anything in germany italy or spain

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:33 am

Whats a european rating got to do with it, tell me do Chelsea have a poor european rating?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Whats a european rating got to do with it, tell me do Chelsea have a poor european rating?

nope, they were just rubbish, but still in a tough league against (guess what) three other league champions.

cant base an entire leagues quality on the european fortunes of that leagues 5th (or was it 6th) best team

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:14 pm

So - the champions of England were drawn against other champions... And came last. Despite having a bottomless of money.

The holders, also didnt get through the group stage.

Says it all.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:28 pm

The Premier League struggles under the weight of its own hype, without a doubt there are some world class players in there, but with the wages on offer, a lot of clubs offer eye watering wages to some fairly average players.

I wouldn't say the Spanish league is that strong, another 2 horse race, Italian football has a wide range of issues it needs to sort out, so for me the Bundesliga is probably the best league out there right now.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 pm

scotsjack wrote:The Premier League struggles under the weight of its own hype, without a doubt there are some world class players in there, but with the wages on offer, a lot of clubs offer eye watering wages to some fairly average players.

I wouldn't say the Spanish league is that strong, another 2 horse race, Italian football has a wide range of issues it needs to sort out, so for me the Bundesliga is probably the best league out there right now.

Finally, a jack with sense and no bias towards the prem.

Totally agree with you.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:14 pm

The spanish league is becoming less of a 2 horse race as look at how well Athletico Madrid is doing this season. Above Real Madrid

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Whats a european rating got to do with it, tell me do Chelsea have a poor european rating?

nope, they were just rubbish, but still in a tough league against (guess what) three other league champions.

cant base an entire leagues quality on the european fortunes of that leagues 5th (or was it 6th) best team

Ah right, so one team went out because they had a poor european rating but the other team that had a good rating were rubbish. Seems you are changing the argument to suit yourself.

Both teams are crap, neither are exactly doing that well in the premier considing what they have got. I do believe the standard of the premier compared to other seasons is affecing our big club in a decremental way.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:The spanish league is becoming less of a 2 horse race as look at how well Athletico Madrid is doing this season. Above Real Madrid

Fair point, Athletico are doing well this year, but it's usually the exception to the rule when someone breaks up the Real/Barca monopoly.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 pm

ninianblue wrote:its piss poor this season. hence, swansea are doing well in there :ayatollah:

:lol: ten out of ten for irony.