The premiership is going backwards at a rapid pace imo

Re: Premier league a strong league?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 pm

2blue2handle wrote:In comparison to other leagues:

Man City the Champions of England OUT
Chelsea the Holders OUT

Strongest league in the world.

If the Italian, English, German, Spanish and French leagues joined a super league of 100 teams or whatever the figure would be, England's teams would have the highest collective placing even though Real Madrid and Barca would probably come top 2.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 pm

A few years ago, yes. Now? No. Europe is showing how the premiership is no longer strongest!

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:A few years ago, yes. Now? No. Europe is showing how the premiership is no longer strongest!

The current champions of Europe are English.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm

think the overall quality is better. 'top teams' arent a match for the top teams elsewhere though

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:In comparison to other leagues:

Man City the Champions of England OUT
Chelsea the Holders OUT

Not as strong as La Liga in terms of quality in my opinion, but not far off, and it's the most exciting and the most watchable which makes it the best. :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: This old chesnut! Look how many English teams have been in the final since 2004/2005. Strongest league in the world without a doubt

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:56 pm

its piss poor this season. hence, swansea are doing well in there :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm

BOT wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:A few years ago, yes. Now? No. Europe is showing how the premiership is no longer strongest!

:lol: and are already out of the following season's competition, along with the English champions.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm not so sure anymore. Yes the champions are English but they are also the first champions not to qualify through the group stage. The standard has definetly dropped compared what it was a few years ago.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Certainly at the moment it's not what it has been. Loads of massively overpaid players and mercenary foreigners. And all this extra money with the new TV deal is only going to end up in players pockets. I have no strong desire to be in the prem at all :old:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm

unfortunately money talks. so prem will always be in top 2 with la liga.

in my view they need to stop this ridiculous farce of having 4 teams from these leagues in the champs league. clearly the tournament doesnt benefit anyway in terms of quality/excitement and it is sadly at the detriment of other leagues in europe

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
BOT wrote:

:lol: and are already out of the following season's competition, along with the English champions.

So you are basing it on that?

England have consistently been the best represented country in top European competition. This season Man
United seem to be flying the flag as best team in England, the current champions are English. That's all that needs to be said really. Celtic have done well, do you think they are better than Man City or Chelsea?

Strength is of a league is not based on how far the top 1 or 2 teams go in Europe, they only make up 5-10% of the league you are discussing,

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Okay, well we shall look at the rest of the league. Piss poor!

How are you financial manager?

PTBG ;)

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:44 pm

I Bleed Blue wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: This old chesnut! Look how many English teams have been in the final since 2004/2005. Strongest league in the world without a doubt

I think that's the point which you some how seem to have missed. not so long ago the English teams were 3/4 of the semi finals? And ruling the champions league.

Now they seem to struggle at the group stages.
Man-u didnt make it last season.
Chelsea and man city already out this season.

Even the quality of the "big 4" in the prem has been dissapointing. I think the medium clubs have got a tiny bit better while the big clubs have gone backwards.

It's still a great league but IMO the quality has gone down hill rapidly.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 pm

man city didnt qualify in a group containing three other league champions :roll:

overall, its the best quality league, but the top teams have been caught by the top teams in other leagues.

Just look at teams like shaktar donesk, a few seasons ago they were basically no names in european football. Now they are a dangerous side for anyone.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 pm

paulh_85 wrote:man city didnt qualify in a group containing three other league champions :roll:

overall, its the best quality league, but the top teams have been caught by the top teams in other leagues.

Just look at teams like shaktar donesk, a few seasons ago they were basically no names in european football. Now they are a dangerous side for anyone.

It isn't the best quality league by any stretch. Look at some of the dross in the premiership - it shows.

Promoted sides used to always struggle in the prem, not so much these days.

Look t Norwich, Swansea, West Ham and other examples where clubs didnt struggle on their promotion...

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

"man city didnt qualify in a group containing three other league champions"

That's exactly our point.. The top teams in other leagues are all stronger now..

You just disproved your own point :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:man city didnt qualify in a group containing three other league champions :roll:

It isn't the best quality league by any stretch. Look at some of the dross in the premiership - it shows.

Look t Norwich, Swansea, West Ham and other examples where clubs didnt struggle on their promotion...

football has changed over the years though. its a far more tactical league than it ever used to be. But the league as a whole is stronger than any other

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:

Or you could have picked QPR, Reading and Southampton of course.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 pm

It isn't stronger than any other.

The top teams have got worse and are now behind the top teams in other leagues. Doesn't that tell you it all..

:roll:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

also, didnt norwich only just stay up last season? :?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:It isn't stronger than any other.

The top teams have got worse and are now behind the top teams in other leagues. Doesn't that tell you it all..

:roll:

not really. as a league in general its stronger than every other.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Nah.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:yeah.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

QPR stayed up. Southampton are currently holding their own and Reading are struggling after not investing too much and having a clueless manager.

Anyway, obviously your biased, your club is in the league.

I'd like to think I have a less biased outlook on it.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

QPR stayed up. Southampton are currently holding their own and Reading are struggling after not investing too much and having a clueless manager.

QPR stayed up on the last day of the season.

Southampton currently holding their own in the relegation places :lol:

And Reading are bucking your trend so you make excuses for them.

But of course, I'm biased :lol:

The league is as strong as it ever has been imo and I've yet to see a credible argument as to why it isn't.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 pm

The Premier League is by far the strongest league in the world, no other league compares to it. But there's no doubt that the quality has gone down in recent years.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

The league is as strong as it ever has been imo and I've yet to see a credible argument as to why it isn't.

Yes, as I just said, QPR stayed up.. No need to repeat... :roll:

Southampton are currently doing okay considering the run of games they had at the start of the season.

Reading are bucking my trend, look at other teams who have been promoted in recent years..

Newcastle, West Brom for example.

You keep telling yourself that the prem is the strongest, but it isn't. :lol:

Proof is quite simple, when the leagues go head to head against each other, England falls down massively.

Defending champions and English champions can't get past pool Stage.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

Yes, as I just said, QPR stayed up.. No need to repeat... :roll:

Southampton are currently doing okay considering the run of games they had at the start of the season.

Reading are bucking my trend, look at other teams who have been promoted in recent years..

Newcastle, West Brom for example.

You keep telling yourself that the prem is the strongest, but it isn't. :lol:

Proof is quite simple, when the leagues go head to head against each other, England falls down massively.

Defending champions and English champions can't get past pool Stage.

And yet an English club won the Champions league last season :lol:

I'd say that points towards the PL being as strong as it's ever been.

In the last 8 years, it has been won by a PL side 3 times, a Spanish side 3 times and an Italian side twice. In that period, 8 of the 16 finalists have been English clubs.

I would suggest your argument on the basis of Champions league performance is flawed.