Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Help with PC

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Can someone give me advice, I keep getting a pop up. found tracking cookie ATDM, how do I locate it and get rid of it? thanks

Re: Help with PC

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 pm

LLangynwyd Blue wrote:Can someone give me advice, I keep getting a pop up. found tracking cookie ATDM, how do I locate it and get rid of it? thanks

look in programmes control panel look see if anything that is just been added, or something you didnt download! failing that go to internet options and review pop up levels in privacy! can block specific sites as well :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:58 pm

You should never blindly accept cookies from any site. In Tools, Internet options, Click the Privacy tab. Click the Advanced button. Put a check in Override automatic cookie handling. Then, First party cookies, prompt. Third party cookies, block. Click OK.

Back to the General tab. Under Browsing history, put a check in Delete history on exit, then click the Delete button to remove everything right now. Click apply then OK.

Restart IE.

Now, when you go to any site, IE will prompt you to accept or deny a cookie. Unless it's for a trusted site like your bank, or whatever, deny them all.

You should also give another browser a try. Firefox, as a prime example, lets you pick and choose which cookies to accept, accept only for the session (e.g. are deleted when you close the browser), or deny. This can be done on a site by site basis. There are also extensions that make managing this quite a bit easier, and even an extension that keeps a permanent opt-out status for some of the more onerous sites. There's several other security related reasons for dumping IE in favour of pretty much anything else. You'd be well advised to use IE as sparingly as humanly possible.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 pm

azk wrote:You should never blindly accept cookies from any site. In Tools, Internet options, Click the Privacy tab. Click the Advanced button. Put a check in Override automatic cookie handling. Then, First party cookies, prompt. Third party cookies, block. Click OK.

Back to the General tab. Under Browsing history, put a check in Delete history on exit, then click the Delete button to remove everything right now. Click apply then OK.

Restart IE.

Now, when you go to any site, IE will prompt you to accept or deny a cookie. Unless it's for a trusted site like your bank, or whatever, deny them all.

You should also give another browser a try. Firefox, as a prime example, lets you pick and choose which cookies to accept, accept only for the session (e.g. are deleted when you close the browser), or deny. This can be done on a site by site basis. There are also extensions that make managing this quite a bit easier, and even an extension that keeps a permanent opt-out status for some of the more onerous sites. There's several other security related reasons for dumping IE in favour of pretty much anything else. You'd be well advised to use IE as sparingly as humanly possible.

gor blimey hope he understands all that :lol:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Download a free program called "Malware Byte Anti Malware" it's a great program.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:04 pm

@ pembroke - yeah am sure he will

link to malewarebytes

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5756&file=15&evp=693ee0b20204960edfd909666f809b26

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks to you all, will try :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:33 pm

azk wrote:You should never blindly accept cookies from any site. In Tools, Internet options, Click the Privacy tab. Click the Advanced button. Put a check in Override automatic cookie handling. Then, First party cookies, prompt. Third party cookies, block. Click OK.

Restart IE.

Thanks, just done all that, and had a request for cookise from this site which I declined.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 pm

azk wrote:@ pembroke - yeah am sure he will

link to malewarebytes

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5756&file=15&evp=693ee0b20204960edfd909666f809b26

thought you was given a political speach!!! :lol:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/ <--A good one also