Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bristol City Suffer Record Losses

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20607144

With the financial fair play regs imminent , they look more in danger of going under than they did in 1980.

Re: Bristol City Suffer Record Losses

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 am

Missing out on that Premier League spot a few years ago has cost them, it seems.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 am

Like pocket money compared with us, and god knows what it will be like in a few years if we don't go up this year.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 am

captbirdseye wrote:Like pocket money compared with us, and god knows what it will be like in a few years if we don't go up this year.

How will going up remove our debt ? We will have to bring in players on high salaries and fee`s plus £90m is over three years - does not work out

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 am

They're in a similar position to us i.e. majority of total debt owed to shareholders. In financial terms, it's not an urgent problem as long as the same shareholders continue to sign cheques and underwrite the debt.

HOWEVER, this is where FFP will kick in an hurt clubs, in football terms, run in this manner.

Alternatively a club could spend big and assemble a squad before FFP penalties kick in (sound familier?..) and just take the hit of a transfer embargo and plan on getting promotion within the length of the contracts issued to the highly paid players. It is however an extremely risky strategy.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 am

NIBluebird wrote:
captbirdseye wrote:Like pocket money compared with us, and god knows what it will be like in a few years if we don't go up this year.

How will going up remove our debt ? We will have to bring in players on high salaries and fee`s plus £90m is over three years - does not work out

Never said it would. However, getting there will make it more manageable.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Total debt of 41m, 35 of which is owed to our majority shareholder. Fully expect next years to be lower. not really a situation of going bust as landsdown is not about to walk away. Much the same as your situation but debt less than half. dont forsee us folding anytime soon.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:38 pm

NIBluebird wrote:

mmm lot more than 90mil, next season its going up hugely worth about 65 mil a season

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:21 pm

44million ? a lot o pocket money :lol:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm

whenthemoonshines wrote:Total debt of 41m, 35 of which is owed to our majority shareholder. Fully expect next years to be lower. not really a situation of going bust as landsdown is not about to walk away. Much the same as your situation but debt less than half. dont forsee us folding anytime soon.

people only see what they want to see on here! really doesnt matter how much we owe as the situation is same as before! so why not have a great ride along way to oblivion or stardom!! time will tell which it is? :D

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 pm

My belief is, we are being lined up for a massive takeover by a Chinese consortium if we do go up. We will become a mega rich club, not even man cities owners will be able to live with us. We will play our home games at the millennium stadium untill building work on the ccs is finished to take it up to 50k, and our first signing will be gareth bale, closely followed by carlos teves and ronnaldo. We will put in a bid for messi, but the british weather will be the deciding factor in him turning us down. Within 5years we will be dominating europe, we will become the first back2back winners of the champions league. Swansea will become a feeder club for our reserve team. Malkay will employ the "SPECIAL ONE" as our under 21s team coach.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm

whenthemoonshines wrote:Total debt of 41m, 35 of which is owed to our majority shareholder. Fully expect next years to be lower. not really a situation of going bust as landsdown is not about to walk away. Much the same as your situation but debt less than half. dont forsee us folding anytime soon.

Without giving too much away, I put the post up as I understand Lansdown is getting itchy feet. He is no Marcus Evans ( Ipswich benefactor)

Read into that what you like.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Unless.you are ITK then i think you have probly read one.of the.threads on our forum about landsdowns frutration concerning stafium and current team position. Our forum is full of knobs and doom merchants thats why i refuse to join. I belueve kandsdown is fully comitted to BCFC and will continue to bankroll our recent failures much as VT is doung yours. Wonder what you will have to say when your results for last year are announced . Apologies for spelling, tw@tting fat fingers!! And landsdown is wirth over 700 million. Hope that puts your mind at ease concerning his wealth.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 pm

NIBluebird wrote:

i think the 90 million is for going up. i think wba had a good idea go up and down untill you can afford to stay up,

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 pm

whenthemoonshines wrote:Unless.you are ITK then i think you have probly read one.of the.threads on our forum about landsdowns frutration concerning stafium and current team position. Our forum is full of knobs and doom merchants thats why i refuse to join. I belueve kandsdown is fully comitted to BCFC and will continue to bankroll our recent failures much as VT is doung yours. Wonder what you will have to say when your results for last year are announced . Apologies for spelling, tw@tting fat fingers!! And landsdown is wirth over 700 million. Hope that puts your mind at ease concerning his wealth.

Actually, he's worth an estimated £549m after losing £201m in the last year.

"Hargreaves’ co-founder Stephen Lansdown has fallen out of the top 100 after losing £201m in the past 12 months.....Lansdown is now 152nd in the Sunday Times Rich List having been 90th in 2011. His estimated wealth stands at £549m."

It doesn't matter if he will continue to bankroll your failures because FFP will screw you.

The one thing Cardiff have is a squad capable of getting us out of this league and (hopefully) out of this mess.

The only way Bristol are heading with their current squad is down with a new stadium still a pipe dream.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 am

Just for fun, here's our main man:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/84/mal ... _WKZS.html

A nice family man, 11 kids :-D

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:06 am

Oh the irony. Constant failure? Aint that something you have walked hand in hand with for the last 40 years.? Glass houses and stones spring to mind. How you gonna sustain your losses of 18m a year when FFP kicks in? Seems all is pinned on promotion and that aint guatenteed is it. Those landsdown figures are old. Check out how much hargreaves lansdown shares have gone up this financial year, was told by someone ITK that every penny of value equates to a million in his pocket. Putting him somewhere where i said.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 am

Gonzo. You sir need to do your research. Landsdown is back up to 90th in rich list with a personal fortune of 750 million . Up 298 million on last year. Marcus evans? Never saw him on top 100. seems my info was correct. He wont walk away, much the same as most owners in football , too much tied up.
As a sidenote the wage figure at AG was. Over £18m!!!! That averages out at almost £2300 per week for all of the clubs 158 employees. That is amazing. Can anyone offer a figure across the board per employee at your club? Would be interesting to compare

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:30 am

whenthemoonshines wrote:Gonzo. You sir need to do your research. Landsdown is back up to 90th in rich list with a personal fortune of 750 million . Up 298 million on last year. Marcus evans? Never saw him on top 100. seems my info was correct. He wont walk away, much the same as most owners in football , too much tied up.
As a sidenote the wage figure at AG was. Over £18m!!!! That averages out at almost £2300 per week for all of the clubs 158 employees. That is amazing. Can anyone offer a figure across the board per employee at your club? Would be interesting to compare

I believe that figure is from the published Sunday Times Rich List for 2012 although I'm happy for you to prove otherwise. Here's a link to an article about it on your local rag:
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol- ... story.html

I can't find anything in the public domain with confirmed figures that he has regained £298m in the last 12 months. Again, happy to be proved wrong though.

At the end of the day, neither Cardiff or Bristol can comply with FFP. Cardiff however have a squad which is capable of gaining promotion before it kicks in or could sustain a transfer embargo due to already having a talented squad. Not sure the same could be said about the current Bristol squad. I'm not attacking you, just stating my opinion based on the performances of each club at this present moment.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Www.richestpeople.co.uk. It was.posted on our forum today.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

people only see what they want to see on here! really doesnt matter how much we owe as the situation is same as before! so why not have a great ride along way to oblivion or stardom!! time will tell which it is? :D

we went on a ride yrs ago under ridsdale n o leary we got off safe the other end others might not be so lucky!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:06 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:

mmm lot more than 90mil, next season its going up hugely worth about 65 mil a season

Its from THIS season that it`s gone up.

Sky tv money is a minimum of £61m even for finishing bottom. Goes up by £700k a finishing place.

Matchday income from attendance , marketing and sponsorship deals also goes up considerably.

As a minimum , I would expect us to have total income of at least £80m next season if we get promoted this season.(current income about £16m).

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 pm

whenthemoonshines wrote:Unless.you are ITK then i think you have probly read one.of the.threads on our forum about landsdowns frutration concerning stafium and current team position. Our forum is full of knobs and doom merchants thats why i refuse to join. I belueve kandsdown is fully comitted to BCFC and will continue to bankroll our recent failures much as VT is doung yours. Wonder what you will have to say when your results for last year are announced . Apologies for spelling, tw@tting fat fingers!! And landsdown is wirth over 700 million. Hope that puts your mind at ease concerning his wealth.

Your forum is full of "doom merchants"
It must be bad if you come on here. We thought we had some grumpy bastards. Perhaps it is not as bad as we first thought.

Lansdown worth £700 million? Did not realise that. Isn't he into financial dealings? So should have control of his spending, or is he using it as a write off against tax (probably both).