Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky has financial backing from the club’s wealthy owners

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:00 am

But Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay has warned he won’t be making wholesale changes to his squad in January.

With the transfer window due to open at the start of next month, Mackay admits he is on the look-out for new players – but he will not splash the cash for the sake of it.

Cardiff currently sit top of the Championship and will be looking to further endorse their promotion credentials in the second half of the season.

But while insisting he has financial backing from the club’s wealthy Malaysian owners, Mackay said he will move into the January transfer window with prudence very much his watchword.

“We will try to bring someone in if we can,” he said.

“But I’ve not put any set numbers on it or even looked at specific positions.

“If there are good players, in particular players we believe are going to improve our squad, then we will try that.

“But we only have a certain amount of positions in the side, and whoever comes in is going to have to improve what we’ve already got.”

Mackay also admits that he finds the January transfer window a difficult time to do business.

Last year, despite strenuous efforts to bring in the likes of Craig Noone, Nicky Maynard (two players he eventually signed in the summer) and Marvin Sordell, only youngster Kadeem Harris came in from Wycombe in January.

Over the course of the summer Mackay splashed nearly £10m on players and says backing from the club’s owners is there again next month, but only with reason.

“I’ve got an open line to our owners as always,” added Mackay, who might be tempted to strengthen in the full-back positions and up front with Maynard set to miss the rest of the season with cruciate ligament damage.

“If I go to them with a proposal they will look at it, but obviously I know the boundaries I’m working within.”

Next up for Mackay’s men is a a trip to Blackburn Rovers on Friday evening.

Leaders Cardiff are currently enjoying their best run of form of the season, taking 13 points from the last 15 on offer.

They also made club history in their last outing by making it 10 home league wins on the bounce as they battled past struggling Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 on Sunday.

Mackay is looking to his Bluebirds to keep the momentum going as the halfway point of the Championship campaign approaches.

After Blackburn a visit to the Welsh capital by rock bottom Peterborough on Saturday week followed by a tough trip to Leicester on December 22 will complete the first half of the Championship season – and Mackay accepts it might be a moment for some refection.

“We’ve been pleased with recent results, but what you want now is the momentum we have built to keep building,” he said.

“We are getting towards the halfway point in the season and that is a time where maybe you take stock of what you’ve done up until then.

“But there’s not really much time to be doing that. The games over Christmas and New Year come think and fast so you have to stay focused on the next game at the same time too.

“But we are confident right now. The result against Sheffield Wednesday will have done us good.

“It wasn’t the prettiest of games and there were distractions with (former Cardiff boss) Dave Jones coming back for the first time.

“There was also the fact we were last to play over the weekend and that put a little bit more pressure on us.

“But the players stayed focused on the task in hand and got their reward for that.

“It sets us up nicely for what is to come.”

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2E9qQQrSx

Re: No big signings in January

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:44 am

Just a smoke screen so when he brings in Ronaldo and Messi we're all drooling. :lol:

Re: Malky unlikely to 'buy big' in January

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 am

Yeh

Be a bit daft if he said

"Im after Charlie Austin and am willing to pay £6m"

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:45 am

Why dont the wealthy Malaysian owners pay of some debt instead of loaning us 2 mill a month at 7%.

All a load of bollocks to me .Gambling on promotion but at what cost ?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 am

How do you know they are gambling?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 am

doesnt say anything in the article about him not "buying big"

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 am

Malky has got a list drawn out, its been drawn out for weeks. I know he def wants to strengthen our squad by at least 3 or 4 players as he feels its vital at that time of year and thats why we have failed in the past. I dont believe we will spend big though, thank goodness, as I would like to finally see our debts come down. I would be happy with 3 or 4 quality loan players, we are there now at the top and can not afford to slip up for the 7th year, so the squad will need strengthening and thats what Malky's back team are there for.

We have now got ourselves well over £100 mill in debt, so it is make or break, the debt needs solving and I personally can only see it happening if we are promoted, if it is ever going to be done. Its a tough one now as we are so much in debt.
Tan has told Malky there is money available for January and of course the club will be lending it off Tan. Were so far down the line, what do you do ?

Re: Malky has financial backing from the club’s wealthy own

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 am

Well if we're totally fucked if we dont got up might as well go down in a blaze of glory! :ayatollah:

Re: Malky has financial backing from the club’s wealthy owne

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 am

Its like we've all forgotten...

We were skint, and close to going into Admin or the receivers before Tan got here.

We had NO assets, the players that werent on loan were pretty much owned by Ranson.

What would have happened if Tan had not stepped in?

Cardiff City would have gone into Administration, and would now be playing in Division 2
or 3, just like the old days.

What happens if we dont go up and Tan wants his money out???

Come on... no prizes here....

We would go into Administration and will be playing in Division 2 or 3, just like the old days

Tan would get f**k all, because there's nothing to give him.

So as far as I'm concerned... spend away Vincent, worst that could happen is the Club goes into
Administration to protect itself from him. Seeing as we were close to doing the same a few years
ago to protect ourselves from Sam... whats the difference?

And this is NOT a pop at Sam in any way shape or form, just plain fact. A few years ago, Sam Hammam
was only ONE of the wolves at the door and Tan stepped in. So hey-ho... if Tan decides to f**k us....

We start all over again.

We've been shit before :lol:

Makes no odds to me if we're shit again, cos we'll probably be shit...but wearing blue!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 am

Well put Taffyapple, be great to be in prem with money man behind us but I for one would still be supporting the city if we were skint,shit and in div2 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 am

So what does Malky do in the transfer window? Does he go for a couple of proven championship players, who he will need to pay a considerable fee for to one of our rivals, and as are unproven at a higher level, should we get promoted may be of no use to us further down the line? or does he go for a couple of loan players from the Premiership who at this moment cant get games and will have to pay huge wages but with the possibilty that if they perform they will make their moves permanent and add to our squad in the Premiership? I would go for the latter option.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:27 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:So what does Malky do in the transfer window? Does he go for a couple of proven championship players, who he will need to pay a considerable fee for to one of our rivals, and as are unproven at a higher level, should we get promoted may be of no use to us further down the line? or does he go for a couple of loan players from the Premiership who at this moment cant get games and will have to pay huge wages but with the possibilty that if they perform they will make their moves permanent and add to our squad in the Premiership? I would go for the latter option.

look at the other three clubs who went up last season and they bought players who are now back in the championship.

having said that, if we could get danny graham for 3m i would buy him. i think Luke young would be a decent shout as well.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 am

paulh_85 wrote:doesnt say anything in the article about him not "buying big"

I only copy the Walesonline headline, It was a bit misleading, it's been edited now anyway

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 pm

One thing I'm confident about is that Malky will not go out and panic buy or panic loan. I think that if we signed one versatile defender and a proven goalscorer we will be fine. Obviously Velikonja doesn't fit in with Malky's plans this season so I don't think there would be any harm in sending him out on loan and letting him adjust to English football by getting some competitive games under his belt.

I would be worried if we got a number of loan signings as there's a danger of annoying our contracted players (eg Karim Frei Craig Conway situation) - If the right player doesn't become available, I'd rather save the cash for the summer and push on then as currently I feel apart from a versatile defender and a striker, our squad is in very good shape :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Jorn Schwinkendorf wrote:One thing I'm confident about is that Malky will not go out and panic buy or panic loan. I think that if we signed one versatile defender and a proven goalscorer we will be fine. Obviously Velikonja doesn't fit in with Malky's plans this season so I don't think there would be any harm in sending him out on loan and letting him adjust to English football by getting some competitive games under his belt.

I would be worried if we got a number of loan signings as there's a danger of annoying our contracted players (eg Karim Frei Craig Conway situation) - If the right player doesn't become available, I'd rather save the cash for the summer and push on then as currently I feel apart from a versatile defender and a striker, our squad is in very good shape :ayatollah:

Agree with this. I doubt we will sign more than 2 but I would like some steel in midfield and a striker

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
Jorn Schwinkendorf wrote:One thing I'm confident about is that Malky will not go out and panic buy or panic loan. I think that if we signed one versatile defender and a proven goalscorer we will be fine. Obviously Velikonja doesn't fit in with Malky's plans this season so I don't think there would be any harm in sending him out on loan and letting him adjust to English football by getting some competitive games under his belt.

Agree with this. I doubt we will sign more than 2 but I would like some steel in midfield and a striker

Great minds think alike, I bloody love fishing aswell :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm

We are where we are, can't change that now. No difference now to the same time last year, year before that, & the year before that, so on, so forth.

I said before the season started that we needed at least ten or so new quality signings to make an impact in the Championship this season, & Malky was give the funding to do this.

We Have to achieve this season, Fact.

With VT in charge, failure is not an option or negotiable. It's business time to deliver! :old:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm

The problem with loan signings is that at the end of the day there gonna go back to there parent clubs at the end of the season so they wouldn't have the motivation or ethic that a player(s) contracted to the club would have