Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Paul Robeson

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:07 pm

My late fathers favourite singer. Mainly associated with the song "Old Man River" he was in his time an international star. What most people never knew was that he spent time in Wales and got to know the culture and people. This led him to do an English versionof the national anthem Land of my Father". Its not an exact translation, doubt the right word could be sung in English, but its certainly brings a lump in the throat. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziJoep1cDlY

Re: Paul Robeson

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 pm

He famously sang to 5,000 people at the Eisteddfod in the 1950's over a telephone link. He had been invited to attend but couldn't because his passport had been confiscated on suspicion he was a communist.

I saw a good play at the Sherman a few years ago all about his connection with South Wales.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:38 pm

He became a political activist during the Spanish Civil war 1937-39 for the fight against fascism. I think during this time he was in Wales and gave support to the Welshmen who fought in that war against the Republicans.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:He became a political activist during the Spanish Civil war 1937-39 for the fight against fascism. I think during this time he was in Wales and gave support to the Welshmen who fought in that war against the Republicans.

You are right there, Ian :D

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 pm

jon1959 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:He became a political activist during the Spanish Civil war 1937-39 for the fight against fascism. I think during this time he was in Wales and gave support to the Welshmen who fought in that war against the Republicans.

You are right there, Ian :D

My father told me this and a few other storis about Robesons affection for Wales. My father could be quite racist, most of his age were in those days, so it confused me when he look up to this black man who eventually returned to America and joined the Civil Rights Movement where he was accused of being a communism. I sometimes feel this is why my father liked him so much as he himself had communistic views.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:08 am

I have always admired Paul Robeson - obviously. A great man and a great talent.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 am

I think my brother was trying to get a petition for a statue of him to be erected in Cardiff down the bay end as he did a lot or had a lot of respect for the miners and their plight as he felt they had a similar struggle as the black people during the partied or something ... Good man tho for all he did either way :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 pm

I remember him well, I think he died in the mid-seventies, an unforgetable voice and I used to love one of the films he starred in called "Sanders of the River" :old: