Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' KIMBO ' " Slow burn process " Malky

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 am

South Korea's Kim eases into life at Cardiff City but boss Mackay predicts ‘slow-burn’ process

Malky
“It was always going to be a slow-burn process. We knew we were bringing a player with great potential to our club.

Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay admits the integration of Kim Bo-Kyung into British football is going to be a “slow-burn” process.

The 23-year-old South Korean has made 12 appearances since his £2m summer move from Japanese football and is beginning to establish himself in a Bluebirds side which secured a record-breaking 10th home league win on the bounce against Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday.

Cardiff moved back to the top of the table and are on their best run of the season so far with 13 points from the last 15 on offer, Kim starting all of those games.

“He is picking up the intensity of Championship football, beginning to understand what the whole league is about,” said Mackay.

“That’s great to see because technically he is a lovely footballer.

“The Championship is a league that players must get to grips with in their head as well as physically, they must understand the nature of it.

“Kimbo has come from a different culture but he has settled in well.

“Every week he is speaking more and more English, he is having lessons and they are going well.

“It was always going to be a slow-burn process. We knew we were bringing a player with great potential to our club.

“He came from the other side of the world, but we were always prepared to give him the time needed and he has done really well.”

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2E2VQyitZ

Re: ' KIMBO ' " Slow burn process " Malky

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 am

Nice article and I hope people see this as I feel that many City fans love to have a scapegoat and Kim seems to be on their radar at the moment. No patience!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 am

I agree, he has been the subject of unjustified criticism at times. I thought he played really well on Sunday and just because he got taken off doesn't mean he had a bad game.
Always plays 2 touch football, takes it in and distributes. Great deft touches. Dictates the tempo and his work rate is great.
Some city fans can't appreciate this and demand directness.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 am

i think most peoples problem isnt with his ability . its the position he is being played in .I really cant see him as a winger and cant actually remember him taking on a full back once sunday , he would be much more effective through the middle where he plays for korea , he looked great there in the olympics
great potential but good enough for the premier league ??? maybe he would be more suited to it being as he wont get kicked as much as he does in the championship, with tommy smith coming back i can dee him having a few games on the bench anyway

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 am

problem is who does he play in the middle with?

him and whitts would be too lightweight. Ideally, him whitts and mutch in a three man midfield, with noone and smith/conway on the wings would be ideal. but that would mean playing 451 which noone on here fancies.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am

paulh_85 wrote:problem is who does he play in the middle with?

him and whitts would be too lightweight. Ideally, him whitts and mutch in a three man midfield, with noone and smith/conway on the wings would be ideal. but that would mean playing 451 which noone on here fancies.

true , so why did we pay 2mill + for him i could see him as a link man between heidur and the midfield being given a free role possibly but i agree he cant play centre in a 442 we will get overrun

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 am

thomasblue wrote:i think most peoples problem isnt with his ability . its the position he is being played in .I really cant see him as a winger and cant actually remember him taking on a full back once sunday , he would be much more effective through the middle where he plays for korea , he looked great there in the olympics
great potential but good enough for the premier league ??? maybe he would be more suited to it being as he wont get kicked as much as he does in the championship, with tommy smith coming back i can dee him having a few games on the bench anyway

Wingers don't always have take people on. I don't understand why people think that. Look at our very own Peter whittingham. When he was playing out there you never really saw him running at players with pace it is all about passes and moving in the tight areas to give midfield and strikers options. David beckham in another example. Kim is class and looks to be getting better and better with each game. He suits the was we play, hold the ball up well for midfield and Taylor to get in those dangerous positions. Anyone thinks anything less has no clue on how to play his role.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 am

you are right, but in both of your examples, you are talking about players who were later moved into the middle of the park (and have performed better there)

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 am

when kim was on sunday we struggled to break them down due to the fact bellamy was being forced into a wide position to receive the ball leaving heidur up front on his own making us pretty much 451 against there 2 banks of 4 who were playing so close together they may aswell have had 8 at the back .As soon as he was replaced by mason and rudy came on we seemed to have natural width with bellamy supported by a very impressive taylor ( although i think that was due to the fact he had nobody to mark and malkey pushed him forward) , the substitutions worked and we looked a lot more dangerous then got the winning goal
I agree kim is a class player his ability is not in question , the point was his tidy quick thinking passing game does not trouble a team who set up like wednesday did to defend , they were more than happy to sit there and let him do a trick then pass it across the field instead of a player like noone,bellamy,conway or smith who would attack them down the wings and stretch there defenders . the reason conway was mom was because he attacked them and if noone was on the other wing we would have scored 3/4 goals .
I disagree with your comment of wingers dont need to take people on THATS WHY THERE CALLED WINGERS so they get down the line and get crosses into the box . Man utd used to play a diamond formation with beckham on the left of the diamond he was never a winger neither is kim .

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 am

He's finding his feet and once he becomes more positive in his thinking his quality will show. Still too often looking for the short ball to Whitts at the moment.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 am

Bobbanker89 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:i think most peoples problem isnt with his ability . its the position he is being played in .I really cant see him as a winger and cant actually remember him taking on a full back once sunday , he would be much more effective through the middle where he plays for korea , he looked great there in the olympics

Wingers don't always have take people on. I don't understand why people think that. Look at our very own Peter whittingham. When he was playing out there you never really saw him running at players with pace it is all about passes and moving in the tight areas to give midfield and strikers options. David beckham in another example. Kim is class and looks to be getting better and better with each game. He suits the was we play, hold the ball up well for midfield and Taylor to get in those dangerous positions. Anyone thinks anything less has no clue on how to play his role.

Yes, my point exactly

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Just read that article in the Echo lunchtime. Cracking article fair play.

Whilst I do think hes tactically naive at times, and certainly not the next Alex Ferguson as some like to make out, theres no denying as a person / fella Malky is a touch of class.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Still can't help but think Kim is a player pushed onto Malky rather than being one of Malky's targets..