Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES "

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Carl, once again i really can't believe what i'm reading from you here.

You have got to be kidding me.

I was so proud of the effort the boys put in today. Unless you're one of the absolute top sides in England OR nick an early goal, any team will struggle to break down a team that played as defensively as Wednesday did today. What you need to do in that situation is work hard, keep battling and find a breakthrough somehow - which is exactly what we did.

Yes, we've spent alot of money but why do so many people think we should be walking through teams. This is Championship football. You have to work hard to win games. If anyone thinks we don't have a good enough team then 10 home wins and being top of the league proves that wrong straight away.

Honestly, i'm embarrassed to be a Cardiff fan sometimes.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Our home record is pretty impressive but every other team in this league is also fully aware of our record.Expect more teams in future content on shutting up shop at our ground.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm

bethanmattsgrampy wrote:Ok today we didn't play to our strengths but we got an ugly win. How often have we said in the past we were all over them but couldn't score!!!

To be honest I wish Ali would stop beating on about the new record because you could clearly see the players we so concerned about the record that things didn't go to plan. Lets be honest we battered them. They had two lines of four across the back and looked to hit us on the break. Their finishing was poor and we should have wrapped it up earlier than we did.

Sometimes we have to win ugly and tody was one of those days. Well done City each and everyone of you need to be congratulated on your efforts tody.

If we produce the same battling performance against Blackburn we should be still top of the league on Saturday

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I will be very surprised if we are top at this time next week after looking at the fixtures .Sorry cant see us beating Blackburn

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

LLangynwyd Blue wrote:Got to agree with this post, great to get the points, but performances like that will not put bums on seats, and before anyone says that there is no pleasing some people, the point here is we will get undone by a better side, or maybe we will rise to the occasion; who knows, what I'm seeing isn't exciting, perhaps my expectations are to high, should we expect three points and to play well as well? I think so, we are top of the league, time our performances reflected our lofty position.

But we haven't been beaten at home by any better sides, as all the supposed better sides like Wolves, Burnley & Leeds that have come to us and tried to play attacking football, have gone home with their arses kicked! :D

Huddersfield, Watford and now Wednesday have come and parked the bus, been content to waste time and play for a point and got exactly what they deserved as well, which is Feck all! :D

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:51 pm

We are not playing brilliantly but what people have to remember is that we have been unlucky with injuries to our key players yet we are still grinding out results.Its not pretty on the eye I admit but I remember a few years ago we would complain about our inability to grind out results.We are winning games now where maybe we would have drawn or lost in the past.I believe when we have a fully fit squad and if we add some quality in January our performances will improve we are averaging 2 points a game which is promotion form and today we missed noone and smith is out bells is still not match fit and Mutch and we managed to break down a stubborn defence.I Beieve it won't be long and we will click and give someone a hiding :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Bustertjd wrote:We are not playing brilliantly but what people have to remember is that we have been unlucky with injuries to our key players yet we are still grinding out results.Its not pretty on the eye I admit but I remember a few years ago we would complain about our inability to grind out results.We are winning games now where maybe we would have drawn or lost in the past.I believe when we have a fully fit squad and if we add some quality in January our performances will improve we are averaging 2 points a game which is promotion form and today we missed noone and smith is out bells is still not match fit and Mutch and we managed to break down a stubborn defence.I Beieve it won't be long and we will click and give someone a hiding :ayatollah:

We have clicked on occasion and especially against Wolves & Burnley where we were superb!

We are not going to be able to play scintillating football every game and we've put in some superb performances at home, mainly against the teams that have come attack minded, but all teams struggle to break down other lesser teams, when they put so many players behind the ball!

Just ask Barcelona about when they went to Celtic Park a couple of weeks ago!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:02 pm

How many times have you seen Man Utd grab a 1-0 win without playing on top form because they have to be patient and take the chance when it comes along?

We can't expect to just win every game, we should be pleased that after 20 games we lead the championship on 41 points and have a 5 point cushion to 3rd.
Well done to Malky ,his back room staff and the players on setting a new club record today :ayatollah:

10/10 top of the class :)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:16 pm

i would think its easier to play a team that wants to attack us. rather than like today. teams are happy to go away with a draw, but we created that ourselves. and long may it continue :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I have always liked Conway - unlike many City players he likes to shoot!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old:

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 am

ninianblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I don't think we played that badly, some of our passing and movement especially in the first half was excellent, the final ball was a bit off though, maybe we missed people like Noone and Smith. Also the numbers they had back meant it was so congested it was always going to be tough. I did always feel a goal was coming thought if I'm honest.

i commented in another post. we didnt get one of our free kicks over there wall :roll:

what you expect when they were all over 6ft ! plus didnt think any of the walls were 10yds in fact we counted ref steps on one occasion and he made 8 steps! :roll:

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 am

pembroke allan wrote:
ninianblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I don't think we played that badly, some of our passing and movement especially in the first half was excellent, the final ball was a bit off though, maybe we missed people like Noone and Smith. Also the numbers they had back meant it was so congested it was always going to be tough. I did always feel a goal was coming thought if I'm honest.

i commented in another post. we didnt get one of our free kicks over there wall :roll:

what you expect when they were all over 6ft ! plus didnt think any of the walls were 10yds in fact we counted ref steps on one occasion and he made 8 steps! :roll:

They looked like small steps too from where I was sitting.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:30 am

FFS ! Since when has football become an exact science ?

Okay we struggled to beat Wednesday who are way below us but who thought we would hammer Burnley? That’s why football is the fantastic game it is.
Sorry mate I can’t see any logic to this moan what so ever
How many times do you see a struggling premier side beating a top four side to stay up that season or some team from the backwoods of Switzerland beat an established Champions league team. We can only beat the team we’re playing, forget about where they are in the league, when we are top every club will raise the bar to beat us, for many it’s their biggest game of the season
:ayatollah:

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 am

Brizzle have beaten Palace,'Boro and Us ! Explain that !

This is the championship , forget league placings and just take it game by game !

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 am

scott_w_ccfc wrote:Carl, once again i really can't believe what i'm reading from you here.

You have got to be kidding me.

I was so proud of the effort the boys put in today. Unless you're one of the absolute top sides in England OR nick an early goal, any team will struggle to break down a team that played as defensively as Wednesday did today. What you need to do in that situation is work hard, keep battling and find a breakthrough somehow - which is exactly what we did.

Yes, we've spent alot of money but why do so many people think we should be walking through teams. This is Championship football. You have to work hard to win games. If anyone thinks we don't have a good enough team then 10 home wins and being top of the league proves that wrong straight away.

Honestly, i'm embarrassed to be a Cardiff fan sometimes.

Im thinking carl followed neath rfc until a few years ago judging by his football analysis on here :lol: :lol:

Re: LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:24 am

carlccfc wrote:
nobber wrote:Over the years we've always seemed to struggle against the bottom clubs at home, and played well against the top clubs, but possibly today we won against the odds as in the past we would have dropped points against this type of team.......... ask Dave Jones. ;)

Yes Nobber I concede that if DJ had been in charge of us today against that Sheffield Wednesday team we probably would have dropped points but that doesn't excuse the performance from our team today Nobber, hopefully there won't be many more :ayatollah:

I know I sound miserable when we won but against a slightly better team that result could have been so different and that concerns me.

Think your wrong there mate,a better team than Wednsday wouldn't have set their stall out like they did.Its never easy against negative teams like that.Malky and the boys should be praised for that performance because thats exactly the type of team that used to roll up and mug us in seasons gone by.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 am

I will be very surprised if we are top at this time next week after looking at the fixtures .Sorry cant see us beating Blackburn

We are 7/4 they are 6/4, not that much in it really with the bookies. They have only won 1 in there last 7 games but have a decent home record winning 5 out of 10. We are one of the form teams winning 4 out of the last 5 and drawing 1 but have only 3 wins on the road. It all balances out quite even hence the odds.

Im under no illusions about Leicester away that's got tough written all over it. Their home record is awesome at 25 points out of 30 and only bettered by ours. They will be hell bent on beating us and they certainly have the credentials to do it.Palace will be hard to beat but at home I feel we can do it. The other games are very winnable.

Palace have Blackpool,Birmingham, Huddersfield us and Forest, plenty to keep them busy while we create a lead.

Its looking pretty good for us as things stand but it is by no means a foregone conclusion. I think the top of the table will look something like this after December.

1.Cardiff 52
2.Crystal Palace 48
3.Leicester 45
4.Watford 45
5.Middlesbrough 44
6.Hull 42 (Hard run)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 am

To get results when you dont play well is promotion winning stuff.

I watched W Ham down here twice last season and though that they were crap in the league game and couldnt belive they were up the top of the table.
They scrapped many results. Their song was "how shit must you be, we're winning away"
Theres a lot of cancelling out in this league - you just have to keep getting results.

I'd love us to trounce teams with flair and style and looking at the young and squad and injured, we may have that here.
Horses for courses now

lets keep backing the team and getting behind those on the pitch.
:ayatollah:

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:28 pm

We won, are top of the league. Unbeaten at home in 10 games and yet still theres negativity.. Who cares whether or not it was a shit performance, WE WON!! We've played games and been all over the opposition and come away with nothing.. If we lose then moan away, if we're winning and give away the lead and drop 3 points then slate the team and management.. Id rather win ugly than lose playing like brazil.. Id have given my left bollock last season to see us win ugly against west ham.. f**k up an get behind the team

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:39 pm

I agree with carl in what he has said Being honest although we have done well at home we DO NOT seem to kill off sides like we should do enough and often waiting for the final whistle to goThere IS something really lacking in the team or tactics BEFORE people start that we are top the league etc remember past years when i heard the same thing we 1ST or we are 2nd or third or 4th

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:28 pm

People say this after every game, despite us winning 10 in a row... sometimes I almost think people would rather see a good performance and a draw rather than an ok one but a win! :old:

3 points on the board is all that counts no matter how we get there.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Kim bo needs a rest I think,thought Taylor was excellent yesterday :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:49 pm

I think only two posts on this thread point to our injury crisis.

how the hell do you expect City to play touch and go football, know where the ball
is going, read each other, play cohesive football when we've had the MAJORITY of
the side out for one reason or another.

Once the lads are all fit, once we've been able to field a settled side for a few weeks...

Watch us go!!

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 pm

I just don't think this team and Malky have been given enough praise for what they have done 10 wins on the bounce at home and 30 points out of 30 no City team has ever bettered that and we still have fans complaining :roll:

There are no easy games in the Championship look at Middlesboro they came down here and looked very impressive and we had to take our chance and grind out 3 points then in their next home game they lose 3-1 to Bristol City. :o

Yesterday we totally dominated but Wednesday especially with Dave Jones returning were never going to be a push over and we earned another 3 points in a game we would previously would have drawn or lost.

So congratulations to Malky and every single player and as others have said once we get all our players fit and with a couple of additions in January we will be firing again in the mean time i will take a few hard fought 1-0 wins :ayatollah: :ayatollah: