Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES "

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:46 pm

As happy as I am that we won the game today especially against Dave Jones' team, I would have hated even drawing the game today as DJ would have been the manager to take away our winning run.

But let's be honest the performance was poor today, the football was not the kind of stuff you would expect from a team at the top of league and one that has beaten everyone before them at home.

I accept we are not going to win every game by big margins but today was laboured and there weren't too many clear cut chances carved out against one of the worst teams I have seen at the CCS since we moved there. Looking back at the game I honestly feel we should be ripping teams like Wednesday apart with the amount of money we have put into the squad.

The gap between our two strikers was incredible today, Bellamy was so far from Helguson it didn't surprise me that they didn't click.

I think Kimbo needs to take a leaf out of Jordon Mutch's book and learn to pull the trigger when he is in or around the box.

Hopefully there won't be too many more performances like that at home this season but plenty more winning results.

Delighted for Craig Conway getting his goal today, when I saw the replay on the big screen of him running towards the Canton Stand after scoring you could see in his face how much that goal meant to him. He has asked Malky to play him or leave him go and I am glad that Malky turned down his request and played him, Conway has laid a marker down now.

Still we are top of the league and I am looking forward to going to Blackburn on Friday and hopefully open up a gap between us and the teams behind us.

Re: LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Over the years we've always seemed to struggle against the bottom clubs at home, and played well against the top clubs, but possibly today we won against the odds as in the past we would have dropped points against this type of team.......... ask Dave Jones. ;)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Missed Noone a lot, Mutch still recovering. They made it ugly also. But we had a moment a magic they were ever going to come up with.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 pm

nobber wrote:Over the years we've always seemed to struggle against the bottom clubs at home, and played well against the top clubs, but possibly today we won against the odds as in the past we would have dropped points against this type of team.......... ask Dave Jones. ;)

Yes Nobber I concede that if DJ had been in charge of us today against that Sheffield Wednesday team we probably would have dropped points but that doesn't excuse the performance from our team today Nobber, hopefully there won't be many more :ayatollah:

I know I sound miserable when we won but against a slightly better team that result could have been so different and that concerns me.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm

We needed to play with more pace today. Our passing was slow & laboured for most of the time but to be fair it's difficult when the other team has 10/11 players constantly behind the ball.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 pm

carlccfc wrote:As happy as I am that we won the game today especially against Dave Jones' team, I would have hated even drawing the game today as DJ would have been the manager to take away our winning run.

But let's be honest the performance was poor today, the football was not the kind of stuff you would expect from a team at the top of league and one that has beaten everyone before them at home.

I accept we are not going to win every game by big margins but today was laboured and there weren't too many clear cut chances carved out against one of the worst teams I have seen at the CCS since we moved there. Looking back at the game I honestly feel we should be ripping teams like Wednesday apart with the amount of money we have put into the squad.

The gap between our two strikers was incredible today, Bellamy was so far from Helguson it didn't surprise me that they didn't click.

I think Kimbo needs to take a leaf out of Jordon Mutch's book and learn to pull the trigger when he is in or around the box.

Hopefully there won't be too many more performances like that at home this season but plenty more winning results.

Delighted for Craig Conway getting his goal today, when I saw the replay on the big screen of him running towards the Canton Stand after scoring you could see in his face how much that goal meant to him. He has asked Malky to play him or leave him go and I am glad that Malky turned down his request and played him, Conway has laid a marker down now.

Still we are top of the league and I am looking forward to going to Blackburn on Friday and hopefully open up a gap between us and the teams behind us.

craig noone seems the difference,we never ran at them at all today,never tried to run at the wednesday donkey defence :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:We needed to play with more pace today. Our passing was slow & laboured for most of the time but to be fair it's difficult when the other team has 10/11 players constantly behind the ball.

I think we better get used to teams 'parking the bus' as teams won't want to be open when they come to us because of our home record this season. Our main threat seems to be set pieces, that's when we as fans seem to believe we are gong to score, not a bad trait but some more flowing football would be nice :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 pm

carl. i agree with what you say. but. most teams that come down here with our home record. will be more than happy to go home with a point. we need to get our away form going. then when we sort that out . think we can pull away from the rest. :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:02 pm

carlccfc wrote:
nobber wrote:Over the years we've always seemed to struggle against the bottom clubs at home, and played well against the top clubs, but possibly today we won against the odds as in the past we would have dropped points against this type of team.......... ask Dave Jones. ;)

Yes Nobber I concede that if DJ had been in charge of us today against that Sheffield Wednesday team we probably would have dropped points but that doesn't excuse the performance from our team today Nobber, hopefully there won't be many more :ayatollah:

I know I sound miserable when we won but against a slightly better team that result could have been so different and that concerns me.

A better team woudnt have played 10 men behind the ball for 90mins

Re: " LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES "

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Wot are the ticket sales lookin like for Friday Carl?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't think we played that badly, some of our passing and movement especially in the first half was excellent, the final ball was a bit off though, maybe we missed people like Noone and Smith. Also the numbers they had back meant it was so congested it was always going to be tough. I did always feel a goal was coming thought if I'm honest.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

We must also take into account all the disruptions through injury the squad has suffered.
We are not playing flowing coherent football, but we have not played the same 11 starters
more than two games running either. A settled side is obviously going to play better together

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Wednesday were fighting for their lives, they time wasted for 80 minutes until we scored, were physical and dirty on occasion and put a lot of bodies behind the ball!

They came for the point, were content to sit back, wasted time and tried to hit us on the break, much the same as Huddersfield & Watford did, so It's all about being patient and not allowing yourself to get frustrated!

People need to get real, even top teams struggle to break down lesser teams when they play so defensively and we've no divine right to stick 4 or 5 goals passed other lower teams, merely because we've spent some money and they're struggling!

Against other teams who came and parked the bus last season, we had to be content with a draw, which eventually cost us a chance of automatic promotion!

10 home wins on the bounce, so I'm more than content with the 3 points today, time to praise instead of moaning!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm

krabb wrote:
carlccfc wrote:As happy as I am that we won the game today especially against Dave Jones' team, I would have hated even drawing the game today as DJ would have been the manager to take away our winning run.

craig noone seems the difference,we never ran at them at all today,never tried to run at the wednesday donkey defence :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Every time Conway got the ball today he ran at them. Conway was the only player who tried being positive running at them mind. I still can't get over Bellamy's dire contribution today, he's so much better than today's performance.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Kimbo gets a free season this season. Hes got to learn to play in a completely different style of league, pick up what is considered a very hard language to learn and get used to a new culture.

Think we all need to just not even consider passing judgement. Would hate to hound him out of the club, only to watch him stay in the UK and prosper once given a chance to settle at another club.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Ok today we didn't play to our strengths but we got an ugly win. How often have we said in the past we were all over them but couldn't score!!!

To be honest I wish Ali would stop beating on about the new record because you could clearly see the players we so concerned about the record that things didn't go to plan. Lets be honest we battered them. They had two lines of four across the back and looked to hit us on the break. Their finishing was poor and we should have wrapped it up earlier than we did.

Sometimes we have to win ugly and tody was one of those days. Well done City each and everyone of you need to be congratulated on your efforts tody.

If we produce the same battling performance against Blackburn we should be still top of the league on Saturday

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:17 pm

carlccfc wrote:

we didnt play against a slightly better team though did we???,wednesday come and shut u shop,dj hoped that the crowd would get restless and get on city players backs,lets take the 3 points and be happy

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Carl it was always going to be difficult because we score the vast majority of our goals from set play and crosses and corners. They are a very tall team and defended the corners we'll, put in loads of blocks and the wall was so tall Whits and Bellers couldn't get the ball over it. You can be sire that other teams will now try and defend in the same way and frustrate us, we are the best home team in the league, we will have to expect all teams to come and park the bus from now on.

I am delighted we stuck with it and eventually broke them down, I was very disappointed with Bellamy again and think we missed Noone a lot, still 3 more points and 100% record at home intact :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Two observations from today's game.

1. We went one up against possibly the worst team to visit CCS but straight away we sit back and let them hurl long balls into the box for the last 5 mins or so and with the height they have in the team anything could have happened. We were controlling the game even though we didn't play well so why sit back after taking the lead? A better team than Wednesday would probably have equalised.

2. Bellamy muscled in on a couple of free kicks in Whitts' territory. :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Carl. You have to look at the home performances as a whole. For example we have blown away the better teams Blackpool burnley, wolves. Ok we struggled today but its about getting the job done which we did.
Any news about Leicester? Twisty has messed the train booking up it seems.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Well we ground out another 3 points and another clean sheet, thats 10 straight wins at home thats 30 points from 30 not bad going that. Ok we didnt play so good today but good sides sometimes need to win ugly. To be truthful I would rather win ugly than play pretty football and lose. It's all about sustaining this good run we are on and slowly start to pull clear of the pack - Top of the league thats what it says in the stats and that will do for me :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Unfortunately I had to miss a home game today, but I'm glad they won without me.
When we lose our home record, its always likely to be against a team you least expect it from.

Southampton won their first 10 games last season then lost to a very poor Bristol City. We avoided a banana skin today - lets hope our attempts at a record 11th win don't come unstuck against lowly Peterborough!

After all, we are not going to win all 23 home games, much as I would like us to!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:40 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I don't think we played that badly, some of our passing and movement especially in the first half was excellent, the final ball was a bit off though, maybe we missed people like Noone and Smith. Also the numbers they had back meant it was so congested it was always going to be tough. I did always feel a goal was coming thought if I'm honest.

i commented in another post. we didnt get one of our free kicks over there wall :roll:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:49 pm

mumblesblue wrote:Carl. You have to look at the home performances as a whole. For example we have blown away the better teams Blackpool burnley, wolves. Ok we struggled today but its about getting the job done which we did.
Any news about Leicester? Twisty has messed the train booking up it seems.

Matthew, Freddie :lol: I am running a bus to Leicester yes :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Carl
Is it different to dib s ?
Straight back?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:53 pm

mumblesblue wrote:Carl
Is it different to dib s ?
Straight back?

Straight back yes :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Cheers Carl and whilst I'm at may be looking at a place for brum.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm

mumblesblue wrote:Cheers Carl and whilst I'm at may be looking at a place for brum.

Do you want seats for Leicester then Matt ? :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 pm

I'll speak to the big man tomorrow and will let you know as I say I think he's delayed too long for the train and the prices have gone up

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 pm

Got to agree with this post, great to get the points, but performances like that will not put bums on seats, and before anyone says that there is no pleasing some people, the point here is we will get undone by a better side, or maybe we will rise to the occasion; who knows, what I'm seeing isn't exciting, perhaps my expectations are to high, should we expect three points and to play well as well? I think so, we are top of the league, time our performances reflected our lofty position.