Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 pm

If Barrow win .....

Barrow-v-Cardiff

Re: Bluebirds -v- Bluebirds

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 pm

I want Barrow to win then.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm

They haven't got a Bluebird on their badge. Interesting.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Karl wrote:They haven't got a Bluebird on their badge. Interesting.

Ha :lol:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:22 pm

They've got a wasp and a submarine. :lol:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Karl wrote:They've got a wasp and a submarine. :lol:

It's a bee, not a wasp. It has an arrow through it. B + arrow, geddit?

The submarine is a reference to the fact that submarines are built in the town. The other emblems on the badge are a football and the red rose of Lancashire. Don't let anyone tell you that Barrow is in Cumbria.

The nickname 'Bluebirds' is a comparatively recent thing. Those of us with memories going back more than 40 years still use the original nickname 'Ziggers'. Don't ask me what that's supposed to mean though.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm

BAFC wrote:

The submarine is a reference to the fact that submarines are built in the town. The other emblems on the badge are a football and the red rose of Lancashire. Don't let anyone tell you that Barrow is in Cumbria.

The nickname 'Bluebirds' is a comparatively recent thing. Those of us with memories going back more than 40 years still use the original nickname 'Ziggers'. Don't ask me what that's supposed to mean though.

Oh I see. B + Arrow, funny.

Very interesting. Good luck against Macclesfield.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:55 pm

BAFC wrote:

Where did bluebirds originate?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 pm

They play also play in blue.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 pm

RFMH wrote:

About 1970 a new social club/bar was built next to the ground. It was christened 'the Bluebird Club' following a poll amongst fans. That name was subsequently mistakenly used by the media to refer to the football team, but it seems to have stuck.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:11 pm

BAFC wrote:

Welcome to our forum, good luck v Macclesfield, then hopefully BARROW HERE WE COME :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 pm

would love a trip to barrow :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 pm

BAFC wrote:
RFMH wrote:

About 1970 a new social club/bar was built next to the ground. It was christened 'the Bluebird Club' following a poll amongst fans. That name was subsequently mistakenly used by the media to refer to the football team, but it seems to have stuck.

Cheers, lovely piece of footy trivia. Best of luck :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 pm

We also have a chant of simply "All bluebirds are blue" the record stands at around 50 minutes. IF we do beat Macclesfield then the record could well be broken if you guys take over hoarse voices :-)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:51 pm

but some of the bluebirds are red ;)