Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

30 YEARS AND STILL FRESH TODAY

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Michael Jackson's Thriller album celebrated its 30th anniversary this weekend :ayatollah:

I bet the older lads on here can remember T-Day, when the video premiered, still regarded as the best music video of all time, it set the bar and the video and the album have yet to be surpassed.

Not only is the album the biggest selling album of all time but it spawned events that will on forever, the moonwalk, Beat It being released and going to number 1 knocking off Billie Jean from the spot.

From collaborating with Sir Paul McCartney on The Girl Is Mine, a conversation took place between the two and resulted in MJ buying the back catalogue and rights to the Beatles tracks, that catalogue is now the wealthiest to own.

The album took Michael Jackson from stardom to something out of this world and the album changed the face of music like no other, Nirvana's Nevermind album caused a musical shift but even that could compare to what Thriller achieved , it crossed divides, it forced the institution known as MTV to change their policy and music came back alive after a recession.

Has any other album had such an affect on the industry like Thriller did ?

Re: 30 YEARS AND STILL FRESH TODAY

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:40 pm

:D i am saying nothing :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:41 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote::D i am saying nothing :ayatollah:

Are you listening to it Baz :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:43 pm

you still harping on about Michael jackson !

give me the sex pistols or Elvis presley any day ;)

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:you still harping on about Michael jackson !

Get on BBC 2 right now Mozzer :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:57 pm

wish i could carlos but er indoors have taken over the remote !

i,m stuck on here till match of the day ;)

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 pm

One of two good albums that oddball made.

Well, bad was alright i guess.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 pm

carlccfc wrote:
MOZZER1 wrote:you still harping on about Michael jackson !

Get on BBC 2 right now Mozzer :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: Never going to be an artist like it.

Shame they have that woman beater on the show

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 pm

carlccfc wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote::D i am saying nothing :ayatollah:

Are you listening to it Baz :ayatollah:
forced to watch the jungle thing, but i must admit brilliant album :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:19 pm

MJ was ICF. Apparently he was forever blowing Bubbles. HeeHee Shamone You Crazy Bluebird Muthafukkas. Owww!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:25 pm

i`m sorry carl but i think michael jacksons music is well over rated and i know he was good live but so was a band like inxs who wrote much better songs .... check this performance out by michael hutchence for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhoELTrQnGE

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:31 pm

carlccfc wrote:Michael Jackson's Thriller album celebrated its 30th anniversary this weekend :ayatollah:

I bet the older lads on here can remember T-Day, when the video premiered, still regarded as the best music video of all time, it set the bar and the video and the album have yet to be surpassed.

Not only is the album the biggest selling album of all time but it spawned events that will on forever, the moonwalk, Beat It being released and going to number 1 knocking off Billie Jean from the spot.

From collaborating with Sir Paul McCartney on The Girl Is Mine, a conversation took place between the two and resulted in MJ buying the back catalogue and rights to the Beatles tracks, that catalogue is now the wealthiest to own.

The album took Michael Jackson from stardom to something out of this world and the album changed the face of music like no other, Nirvana's Nevermind album caused a musical shift but even that could compare to what Thriller achieved , it crossed divides, it forced the institution known as MTV to change their policy and music came back alive after a recession.

You say his music changed the face of music what absolute crap

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:35 pm

carlccfc wrote:Michael Jackson's Thriller album celebrated its 30th anniversary this weekend :ayatollah:

Phenomenal! Has there ever been a bigger solo artist than Michael Jackson?

People talk about Elvis Presley but in my opinion Michael Jackson transcended the music industry on a level that no one has ever reached. I'm far from being his biggest fan but credit where credit is due. The bloke was a phenomenon!

His song "Beat It" off the Thriller album is probably my favourite track of his. The Eddie Van Halen guitar solo is just sublime!

:ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:40 pm

thriller was a pile of shite in my eyes carl im sorry and didnt really change anything to me ..... i hated every song! ... how can you compare that to elvis presleys first albums and anything the beatles or the likes of the sex pistols .... those people changed music not some dancer whos videos sold the actual songs! .... the artists i mentioned didnt spend millions on videos to sell themselves!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:52 pm

AHERNE wrote:

thriller was a pile of shite in my eyes carl im sorry and didnt really change anything to me ..... i hated every song! ... how can you compare that to elvis presleys first albums and anything the beatles or the likes of the sex pistols .... those people changed music not some dancer whos videos sold the actual songs! .... the artists i mentioned didnt spend millions on videos to sell themselves!

Just look at the entire pop industry for the last 20 years it has been massively influenced by MJ. He's up there with all those artists in terms of influencing music. The vidoes where something on another level to what others where doing and showed how much it could improve the songs give the music a whole new level.

Just because you dont like the music you cant deny how brilliant he was.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:52 pm

AHERNE wrote:

And on producers. I mean Quicy Jones had more to do with the music than that weirdo Jackson.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Oh and Carl, don't forget his other 'great' collaboration with McCartney which also had an excellent and groundbreaking video - Say, say, say.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm

MJ was a weirdo.and is music is shit. :old: Can't even compare it to the brilliance of ,The Clash or Sex Pistols. :D :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.