Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dave Jones admits he has a 'problem' with CCFC

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:37 am

DAVE JONES returns to Cardiff City for the first time tomorrow admitting he currently has a “problem” with the Bluebirds.

Jones’ Sheffield Wednesday head to the Championship leaders with the former Cardiff manager under pressure after a string of bad results.

Jones would not be drawn on what the issue was surrounding himself and the Bluebirds, but the Western Mail understands it is regarding his pay-off after he parted company with the Bluebirds in May 2011.

Ahead of tomorrow’s clash, Jones said at a Hillsborough press call: “I’ve got a problem with them that will come to light eventually.”

When asked to elaborate Jones declined, adding: “No, it does not need to be out there in the public domain at this moment in time.

“But I don’t hold bitterness towards anybody.”

After his departure from Cardiff, Jones eventually took over at Wednesday on March 1, 2012 following the sacking of Gary Megson.

Jones led the Owls into the Championship as League One runners-up behind champions Charlton.

On the pitch, to the casual observer tomorrow’s clash would seem a foregone conclusion.

Malky Mackay’s Bluebirds are flying high and have taken 10 points from the last 12 on offer.

Wednesday, meanwhile, have won just two league games in their last 16 and have emerged victors just once away from Hillsborough all season.

Tuesday’s 4-1 home drubbing by Watford saw them slide into the Championship relegation zone.

But Jones, desperate to end Cardiff claiming a record 10th straight home win, said: “I have always believed that if I put a team out it’s going to get a result.

“You can’t go into a match thinking you’re going to lose.

“It was the same when I went to places such as Manchester United and Arsenal in the past.

“If you don’t believe, don’t go out there. It’s about believing and staying together.

“I have plenty of confidence in my ability and I have confidence in this group of people to turn it around.”

Jones had six years in charge of Cardiff and took them to the FA Cup final in 2008 where they lost out to Harry Redknapp’s Portsmouth.

During his reign he also came very close to taking the Bluebirds into the top flight, losing the 2010 Championship play-off final to Blackpool.

The following season Cardiff crashed out in the play-off semi-finals to Reading and, not long after, Jones was shown the door.

Jones is unsure what reaction he will get tomorrow from home supporters, but he said he is looking forward to his first return to the Welsh capital.

And he emphasised his main priority was getting a result for his Wednesday strugglers.

“I look forward to going back anywhere. I did my time there,” said Jones.

“It wouldn’t matter if I’d been there 20 years; I’m employed by this club now.

“My time at Cardiff is done. I did quite well. If you look at where they were and where they are now, I was part of that.

“A new manager has taken it on, he’ll want to take it to the next level, and so on and so on.

“I’m going there with a team that’s trying to beat Malky Mackay’s team.

“The day I left, it wasn’t my team, it wasn’t my club.”

Jones often felt during his time with the Bluebirds that his side’s progress was hampered by the financial situation at the club.

Often, up-and-coming players had to be sold and Jones was forced to embark on another chapter of squad rebuilding.

Mackay, meanwhile, has spent almost £10m bringing in new players this summer to bolster his options.

But Jones said: “Cardiff have been a decent side for six years. Now they’ve got the investment that they needed all those years ago.

“We always had to sell our best players every January and June just to keep going.

“Now they’ve got backers who can buy and get them where they’re going.

“Three or four times when I was there they were going into administration, but we staved it off, kept in the division and tried to get into the Premier League without the backing they’ve got now.

“I’m not jealous of the club or the manager. I did my bit. It’s on somebody else to do it now.

“I’ve got no animosity towards the club whatsoever, and I hope they achieve what they’re trying to achieve, I hope this club does as well.

“I’m going there to do battle and try to take three points away from them.

“If that helps me, that’s all I’m after.”

While Cardiff fans might have mixed views on their former boss, midfield playmaker Peter Whittingham is in no doubt.

“I have the utmost respect for him as a manager and a guy,” said Whittingham, a bargain £350,000 buy when Jones signed him from Aston Villa in January 2007.

“I owe a lot to Dave, he brought me to Cardiff and had a lot of trust in me.

“He probably did a lot better for this club than many people expected as he took us to Wembley for an FA Cup final and a play-off final.”

Whittingham, 28, has since scored 75 goals in nearly 300 first-team appearances since Jones spotted his potential at Villa Park.

One of three ever-present Bluebirds in the Championship this season – David Marshall and Mark Hudson are the others – Whittingham is once again a key figure in the push for promotion under Mackay.

But Whittingham insists it would be foolish to under-estimate a Wednesday side who plunged into the bottom two on Tuesday after a fifth straight home defeat.

“Wednesday need the points,” warned Whittingham.

“And what better place for a Dave Jones team to come to Cardiff, his former club, and break our home record?

“Every game in this division is hard. We all know what a horrible league the Championship can be at times.

“Our job is to go out with the same mentality as we do for every match.

“Wednesday have pace, good players and plenty of quality – and Jay Bothroyd will want to do well against his old club.”

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2DmP06TQo

Re: Dave Jones admits he has a 'problem' with CCFC

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 am

Yes there was a dispute regarding Jones wages, the Malaysians tried not to pay him, its in one of Carlos updates.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 am

Good piece and no coincidence the 3 "ever presents" were all Jones signings.

Doesnt get the credit he deserves for making us as competetive as we were especially when he had to sell his best players.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:08 am

Mario Polotelli wrote:Good piece and no coincidence the 3 "ever presents" were all Jones signings.

Doesnt get the credit he deserves for making us as competetive as we were especially when he had to sell his best players.

Top post - Jones played his part in our progress . He'll get a welcome from me !

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:08 am

One of the problems DJ refers to is that he has not received the settlement on his contract, he and his wife have been offered shares as a settlement.

I find his comment, "The day I left, it wasn't my team, it wasn't my club", very interesting.

I am assuming that DJ is referring to the loan players that we had in his final season and being they were short term, that it was not his choice to go down that route but the choice of the Malaysians and the board.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:47 am

Mario Polotelli wrote:Good piece and no coincidence the 3 "ever presents" were all Jones signings.

For me, jones best years at the club were his first three years, he managed to keep us in the championship without ever any threat of reglegation with very little money, when he started to get some funds (mostly for loans) the expectations rose and so did the dissapointments, there were too many bottle jobs from his players for my likening, too many of his players went missing in action when the going got tough, there is no doubt in my mind that he should have had his cards after the biggest bottle job of them all, the play off final against blackpool.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 am

Interesting read that Dave Jones states that it was not 'his team" at the end, then as a man of principle, why did he not walk away? whose team was it ? Maybe in this part of the world we would not understand

Anyway as DJ states it will all come out in the end, maybe the book could be called "out of the fire and passion " :D :D :D :D
I will give him a warm reception tomorrow, because he moved our club forward.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:41 am

Coco wrote:

Top post - Jones played his part in our progress . He'll get a welcome from me !

Snap! He was great for the club!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 pm

f**k him he had his chance and peter risdale paid him well over the top i think he doesnt deserve a pay off from tan ,go and get it off your mate peter :(

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Dave Jones contract was shady as f**k, lets be fair.

Whether your a Tan fan or not, surely we should all applaud the fact that
Cardiff City are not keen on throwing more money at Jones. He's had enough!!!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm

He's a f*cking leach of the highest order I for won't clap the prick tomorrow. Why should we he doesn't manage us.he didn't win us f**k all.he had no respect for us fans. we got a manager now who seems to love us and has put passion into our side that's the guy I'll be clapping

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Jones is a miserable c**t. He HATED the fans. Why should we kiss his f*cking arse?

We owe him nothing

He had a ridiculous rip-off contract and is moaning (as usual) about that.

I HATE his comment "i havent become a bad manager overnight" ... he's right. Its
happened over a number of years

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:35 pm

carlccfc wrote:One of the problems DJ refers to is that he has not received the settlement on his contract, he and his wife have been offered shares as a settlement.

I find his comment, "The day I left, it wasn't my team, it wasn't my club", very interesting.

I am assuming that DJ is referring to the loan players that we had in his final season and being they were short term, that it was not his choice to go down that route but the choice of the Malaysians and the board.

for me he,s saying that when he left that was that.that emotionly he has no more ties.maybe that,s why he doesn,t want any shares

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 pm

what was he on £800. 000 per season, for failure, he was the best paid manager in the division. and better paid than half of the prem managers. yes. i know your going to say thats not his fault. but i think he done well out of this club with his mate risdale, f**k him i say. just being greedy :roll:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Before you condemn DJ too harshly please think of the following. He was an employee of the club and had a 12 month rolling contract. In normal business this contract is only terminated if the employer decides that the employee has broken the terms of his contract. They then give him notice. If not they send him on gardening leave.

I worked for a major UK retail chain, on a six month rolling contract. I did not in any way shape or form break my contract of employment.
They decided because of the economic climate in 2008 they would break my contract and the contracts of my team illegally. They ask you to sign a compromise agreement that forbids you from revealing the terms of you severance agreement, but they pay you far more than you would ever be awarded in an employment tribunal. Our contracts resulted in us being made redundant, they gave us six months pay, sent us home on six months "gardening leave" this meant that we could not seek employment for six months. I took legal advice, was told that this would be classed as *restraint of trade" and went to work for another retail company immediately. I said to my previous employer "see you in court" and nothing happened.
DJ is possibly in the same place, love him or hate him, if he had a twelve month rolling contract they need to have paid him and let him move on. Anything else is unfair, unethical and possibly illegal.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 pm

norfolkblue wrote:Before you condemn DJ too harshly please think of the following. He was an employee of the club and had a 12 month rolling contract. In normal business this contract is only terminated if the employer decides that the employee has broken the terms of his contract. They then give him notice. If not they send him on gardening leave.

I worked for a major UK retail chain, on a six month rolling contract. I did not in any way shape or form break my contract of employment.
They decided because of the economic climate in 2008 they would break my contract and the contracts of my team illegally. They ask you to sign a compromise agreement that forbids you from revealing the terms of you severance agreement, but they pay you far more than you would ever be awarded in an employment tribunal. Our contracts resulted in us being made redundant, they gave us six months pay, sent us home on six months "gardening leave" this meant that we could not seek employment for six months. I took legal advice, was told that this would be classed as *restraint of trade" and went to work for another retail company immediately. I said to my previous employer "see you in court" and nothing happened.
DJ is possibly in the same place, love him or hate him, if he had a twelve month rolling contract they need to have paid him and let him move on. Anything else is unfair, unethical and possibly illegal.

Also unfair, is Dave Jones sitting there with Ridsdale saying "Go on then, i'll take 800k a year"
Then sure as eggs is eggs, off he goes complaining he's got no money for players. The man
had no morals, off down the Golf Club whilst the players go on the piss. He's such a bighead
and egotistic tw*t "When I used to go to places like Man Utd and Arsenal" blah blah blah

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:35 pm

taffyapple wrote:
norfolkblue wrote:Before you condemn DJ too harshly please think of the following. He was an employee of the club and had a 12 month rolling contract. In normal business this contract is only terminated if the employer decides that the employee has broken the terms of his contract. They then give him notice. If not they send him on gardening leave.

Also unfair, is Dave Jones sitting there with Ridsdale saying "Go on then, i'll take 800k a year"
Then sure as eggs is eggs, off he goes complaining he's got no money for players. The man
had no morals, off down the Golf Club whilst the players go on the piss. He's such a bighead
and egotistic tw*t "When I used to go to places like Man Utd and Arsenal" blah blah blah

If you remember he backed Risdale all the way and said he would leave if Sam remained in position. The game was that with his shares(wifes name for tax reasons) he would make a zillion if CCFC got to the premier league and he would have Risdales/the Booard's backing to achieve this bearing in mind that they were all working on a shit or bust strategy.In addition he obviously did very well salary/benefits wise.
He was always very clear that as far as he was concerned managing CCFC was just a job and when he move on he would just move on.
I am not sure he ever enjoyed being here and he knows and has admitted he stayed (at least) a season too long.
I have no idea what he told the Malaysians he would do but I thought it was amusing/Godfather-like when they sacked him on the day jackbastards won the play-off final having kept him hanging around a week or three.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:06 am

Malky Mackay hopes Cardiff fans give ex-manager Dave Jones a warm welcome on his return to the Welsh capital.

Jones returns to the Cardiff City Stadium for the first time with Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday.

Mackay, in his second season in charge at the Bluebirds, replaced Jones in June 2011 .

"There will obviously be fond memories and I would hope people would take that into account and give Dave a warm welcome on Sunday," said Mackay.

Jones had six years at the Bluebirds and led them to the FA Cup final in 2008, losing 1-0 to Portsmouth, and a Championship play-off final in 2010, losing 3-2 to Blackpool.

He is credited with turning Cardiff City from a mid-table Championship side to genuine Premiership promotion contenders.
Continue reading the main story

“To be at a football club for six years is a long time now”

Malky Mackay Cardiff City manager

Jones, who led his new club Sheffield Wednesday from League One to the Championship last summer, will return to Cardiff for the first time since he was sacked in May 2011 .

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:10 am

“I look forward to going back anywhere. I did my time there,” said Jones.

He says it like he was in prison. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I met him once and I saw more charisma in a table. Malky on the other hand is great banter and up for a good chat. He is also very intelligent. Ask him about tactics and you can tell the guy is switched on and that's why I truly believe he is the man to take us up. Under Jones I always had doubt.

Jones seems to think he is better than he is as manager and it seems as though he is very happy as things are without wanting to push for better whereas Malky seems happy to just keep building on an already great run.

Jones would do well then falter in November and make excuses that it was just a blip and you can't expect a team to always win.True to some extent but losing numerous games on the bounce is not going to get you promotion either. In that respect, he was very deluded.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 am

Im not a fan of DJ and haven't been for many years but a contract was agreed and should be upheld whatever your feelings about him.

It is a worry that the club seem to be unwilling to do the right thing in coming to an agreement with both Sam and DJ and the result of that is to spend more on legal costs.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 am

Best manager in my time going to watch the city came so close on a budget.I no he had his problems we all no them but he did a good job moving the club forward.

The wembley play off final was the end for him really but it was so close if Bothroyd had stayed on who knows.

Then we had the 6-1 defeat to Preston and the 3-1 defeat to Ipswich and all that to miss out on the playoffs by 1 goal.

He was so near but so far for us but I will give him a good reception today.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:18 am

how do you know its the club when did you become a director or work for the club angry man why dont you shove you unfounded words up yout a..e :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:20 am

troobloo3339 wrote:how do you know its the club when did you become a director or work for the club angry man why dont you shove you unfounded words up yout a..e :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Its never the clubs fault in the eyes of people like you. Nothing but a blinkered tw*t

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 am

Angry Man wrote:Im not a fan of DJ and haven't been for many years but a contract was agreed and should be upheld whatever your feelings about him.

It is a worry that the club seem to be unwilling to do the right thing in coming to an agreement with both Sam and DJ and the result of that is to spend more on legal costs.

Again, agreed. If you were owed money by your ex employers - you'd chase it wouldn't you?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:
Angry Man wrote:Im not a fan of DJ and haven't been for many years but a contract was agreed and should be upheld whatever your feelings about him.

Again, agreed. If you were owed money by your ex employers - you'd chase it wouldn't you?

Excatly and we've had people on occasion who have asked people on here about advice on chasing ex-employers about wages themselves yet now critising DJ for doing the same thing!!!!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 am

Most people expect DJ to have a link with this club - but in reality, he was just an employee - just as not many people would give up money for their employers.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:48 am

A six year spell at the club and not one positive word about the club?!? I expected more from him. He just sounds like a bitter old man in my opinion.

He did well at the club though. So let's give him a warm welcome - and then beat their asses :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Not a worry to you though.

Seeing as you dont support the Club anyway

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Not a worry to you though.

Seeing as you dont support the Club anyway

What a great contribution to the debate. Well done Taffy