Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

AFC WIMBLEDON WANT THEIR NAME BACK

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 pm

I have just read an interesting piece written by sports writer Steven Howard.

With the FA Cup match between MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon taking place this Sunday there has been a lot of talk about how these sides have become the clubs they are today and in particular the name of each club.

AFC Wimbledon want MK Dons to change the Dons part of their name to something else and AFC Wimbledon want it back.

To AFC fans the continued use of the name ‘Dons’ is a red rag to a bull. Were Winkelman to remove it — and replace it, perhaps, with Rovers or United or Albion or whatever — much of the animosity would evaporate. It’s a pretty simple procedure.

Under FA rule A3 (l), you apply for a change of name before April 1 which is then considered by the FA Council and which, in this case, would be waved through.

The full piece is here :

Hand back the Dons!
STEVEN HOWARD

IT was January 26, 1975, the morning after one of the most miraculous results in FA Cup history.
Southern League minnows Wimbledon had just held Don Revie’s Leeds United to a goalless draw in the fourth round at Elland Road.

A Leeds side who were league champions and on their way to the European Cup final at the end of the season.

Wimbledon’s part-timers were on their way back to London aboard the Intercity — and a replay at Selhurst Park where 45,000 witnessed Harry Bassett’s deflection put Leeds through 1-0.

Opposite me, Selwyn Rice rolled up his trouser leg and displayed his war wounds.

Pointing to a variety of indentations on a well-worn limb plonked on a table in front of me, the farmer’s boy from Exeter proclaimed: “That was Madeley, that was Reaney, that was Giles... and THAT was Billy Bremner!”

It still remains the personal highlight of a lifetime of watching and covering Wimbledon FC — one that started in the 60s when the Howard family moved next door to Cannizaro Park on Wimbledon Common.

I would be at the Cafe Royal in 1977 when the Dons were elected to the Football League and aboard the merry charabanc that would end up in the old First Division, then at Wembley where the club won the FA Cup in 1988.

Just 14 years later they were in the Combined Counties League courtesy of the self-seeking efforts of two men — Sam Hammam and Charles Koppel.

Hammam, who brought the club for £40,000 and took £36million out of it, sounded the death knell when he moved Wimbledon to Selhurst Park then flogged Plough Lane to Safeway for £7m.

Club chairman Koppel then finished them off by threatening to liquidate the club unless it moved to Milton Keynes and the welcoming embrace of former pop mogul Pete Winkelman.

The rest, as they say, is history. On Sunday, the story comes full circle when Milton Keynes Dons ‘entertain’ AFC Wimbledon in the second round of the FA Cup, the first time the clubs have met.

Ever since the draw good news has been at a premium.

But, finally, there is some. After threatening to boycott the game, AFC Wimbledon fans have taken up 2,800 of their 3,000-ticket allocation and will be cheering on their boys at stadium:mk.

That is as it should be. Had they decided not to attend, AFC supporters would have done their cause nothing but harm.

Everyone knows the rancour AFC fans hold towards the Winkelman franchise that stole their club. But Sunday is the day when they have to rise above it and retain their dignity. To show just why their club, the phoenix that rose from the ashes, is one of the most admired and respected in football.

The one that, thanks to a small group of die-hards including Ivor Heller, Kris Stewart, Trevor Williams, Mark Jones and, later, Erik Samuelson, refused to die.

A group that met at the Fox and Grapes on the corner of Wimbledon Common in the dark days of 2002 and set the template for a supporters-run club — the example for Exeter, Wycombe, FC United of Manchester, and shortly, Portsmouth to follow.

An example to the world of what a real football club is all about. And then, of course, there is Milton Keynes and multi- millionaire Winkelman.

I will upset some Wimbledon fans by saying that Milton Keynes, despite their controversial origin, have been a welcome addition to the Football League.

Thanks to £60m provided by Asda and IKEA, an £83m 30,000-capacity stadium is moving towards completion on a retail park in what used to be a footballing desert. The club, under the management of the bright Karl Robinson, are flying high near the top of League One and playing the attractive football all fans love.

But there is still one huge problem. One running sore that rightly infuriates AFC Wimbledon fans — the fact that a club seen as interlopers and imposters call themselves MK Dons.

A few years ago Winkelman handed back all the old trophies and other historic memorabilia.

Now he must be both big and wise enough to hand back the name. This week he admitted that the deal he struck to take the old Wimbledon to Milton Keynes was wrong.

But he made a mug of himself when he refused to even entertain the notion of dropping the name ‘Dons’.
Laughably, he said: “What’s the name got to do with it?

“This club are the direct descendant of Wimbledon FC. These supporters absolutely believe they’re still following the club that’s Wimbledon.”

Poppycock.

To AFC fans the continued use of the name ‘Dons’ is a red rag to a bull. Were Winkelman to remove it — and replace it, perhaps, with Rovers or United or Albion or whatever — much of the animosity would evaporate. It’s a pretty simple procedure.

Under FA rule A3 (l), you apply for a change of name before April 1 which is then considered by the FA Council and which, in this case, would be waved through.

And it wouldn’t cost Winkelman a penny. A no- brainer, you would have thought.

As it is, AFC fans will travel to Milton Keynes still seething about the iniquity of it all.

It is also a match that has come at precisely the wrong time for a club that has one of the smallest budgets in the Football League. MK are on a run of six wins and two draws and have scored 14 times in four games.

AFC have lost four of their last six in the league and hover one point above the drop zone.

They also have FIVE on-loan players who may be ruled out of the game.

There is also the added concern of how AFC fans will react if, say, their team are being hammered and the MK supporters start to wind them up.

In the middle of the AFC fans wearing a suit and his Wimbledon tie will be club president Dickie Guy.

As he said this week: “It’s a big ask. Then, again, anything can happen in the FA Cup.”

He should know as he was the man who famously saved a Peter Lorimer penalty at Elland Road in 1975. But the last word goes to John Brockwell, chairman of the MK Supporters’ Association.

He said he naively believed they were saving Wimbledon in 2002. Now he wants both clubs to celebrate what they have and move on. That can only happen when the real Dons get their name back.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... z2Dj09Uiwj

After reading that piece, if MK Dons felt it right to hand back all trophies and memorabilia to AFC Wimbledon then I think they should drop the name 'Dons' all together and have no allegiance to Wimbledon whatsoever. They should give the name back to Wimbledon.

Re: AFC WIMBLEDON WANT THEIR NAME BACK

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Carlos, so a club can change its name, many on here said it cant be done nowadays and this article is in todays paper.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Under FA rule A3 (l), you apply for a change of name before April 1 which is then considered by the FA Council and which, in this case, would be waved through.

Carlos, so a club can change its name, many on here said it cant be done nowadays and this article is in todays paper.

I can't see an FA Council allowing Cardiff's name to be changed to Lucky Red Malaysia Dragons or Kuala Lumpa FC. There's no reason why they'd let it happen.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Id like to set fire to that Winkleman fella. Condesending tw*t of the highest order.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:54 pm

[quote="Forever Blue"]Under FA rule A3 (l), you apply for a change of name before April 1 which is then considered by the FA Council and which, in this case, would be waved through.

Carlos, so a club can change its name, many on here said it cant be done nowadays and this article is in todays article.[/quot

Applying and getting if changed area two different things! Wimbledon is special case. Tan would not succeed or anyone else for that matter! Because of Wimbledons plight originally
:(

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Under FA rule A3 (l), you apply for a change of name before April 1 which is then considered by the FA Council and which, in this case, would be waved through.

Carlos, so a club can change its name, many on here said it cant be done nowadays and this article is in todays article.

i think(and hope) the f.a would drop the don bit out of mk as it would defuse any lingering resentment.i doubt the f.a would change the name cardiff but the city bit to something else?i hope not.
Last edited by jtc on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Wimbledon fans abandoned their club, they seem the victims but they could have just bought out the current regime and stayed in Wimbledon but attendances were down anyway, the move saved their club now look at them, in a nice new stadium and nearing the Championship

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:32 pm

I completely agree, they should just be called Milton Keynes FC and they shouldn't be associated with Wimbledon FC in any way.

Wouldn't be surprised if our name gets changed one day with the owners we have.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Id like to set fire to that Winkleman fella. Condesending tw*t of the highest order.

Very humane. Just proves how sick a person you are mate. You need help.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Id like to set fire to that Winkleman fella. Condesending tw*t of the highest order.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:

I read it first time Frank #parrot

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

:glasses6:

^ how anyone could wish such a thing on another person is disgusting.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:54 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

:glasses6:

^ how anyone could wish such a thing on another person is disgusting.

oh f**k off will you, he obviously doesn't mean that, stop taking everything so seriously

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Jon please dont bite on my behalf :lol:

Franks rattled :lol:

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Frank barnett :?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Jon please dont bite on my behalf :lol:

Im fine mate. I am watching a film and relaxing. How's your evening? Cried yet coz your mrs left you or what?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Im fine mate. I am watching a film and relaxing. How's your evening? Cried yet coz your mrs left you or what?

Cried because she hasnt left me yet

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Face it mate everyone knows what happened. Be honest.

stop kidding yourself, just let it out, let it be mate.

you know you are crying inside. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

I preferred the serie a Barnett, I don't think I like this argumentative one.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Bluebird_87 wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

I preferred the serie a Barnett, I don't think I like this argumentative one.

Im not argumentative mate, just carrying it on. I have never been argumentative or serious in my life. :lol: :lol:

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 pm

I Bleed Blue wrote:Wimbledon fans abandoned their club, they seem the victims but they could have just bought out the current regime and stayed in Wimbledon but attendances were down anyway, the move saved their club now look at them, in a nice new stadium and nearing the Championship

Absolute nonsense.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:39 pm

PtB wrote:
I Bleed Blue wrote:Wimbledon fans abandoned their club, they seem the victims but they could have just bought out the current regime and stayed in Wimbledon but attendances were down anyway, the move saved their club now look at them, in a nice new stadium and nearing the Championship

Absolute nonsense.

Totally agree. Would you be happy if we changed our name and moved to Swindon? I certainly wouldn't and I hope our fans wouldn't be happy about it neither. That would be the last straw for me

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeah, alright :lol:

You forgot your fishing rod smiley because you are definitely on a wind up with that post :o

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:55 pm

I don't think that the FA would simply waive through a name change for Cardiff City if it was something obviously off the wall like 'Red Bull Malaysian Dragons'' or 'FC Malaysia,' but something like 'Cardiff Red Dragons' or 'Cardiff City Dragons?' then that may be another story.

If it kept the word Cardiff and didn't include a sponsor, then it may be a possibility. Tan is a powerful man, able to offer a route into media markets in SE Asian markets for the FA and Football league.Money talks...

At the moment, it's all speculation anyway as nobody really knows VTs longer term vision.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:36 am

MK Dons are a disgrace.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 am

As Vinnie Jones said yday its not only MK Dons to blame for what happened to Wimbledon its the Norwegians and Sam Hammam before them.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 am

alfie sherwood wrote:I don't think that the FA would simply waive through a name change for Cardiff City if it was something obviously off the wall like 'Red Bull Malaysian Dragons'' or 'FC Malaysia,' but something like 'Cardiff Red Dragons' or 'Cardiff City Dragons?' then that may be another story.

If it kept the word Cardiff and didn't include a sponsor, then it may be a possibility. Tan is a powerful man, able to offer a route into media markets in SE Asian markets for the FA and Football league.Money talks...

At the moment, it's all speculation anyway as nobody really knows VTs longer term vision.

They would allow MK to drop the Dons part of their name as it will put right one of the FAs biggest wrongs