Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Advice on the U.S.A, where to go?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:22 pm

For those of you who have been/lived across the pond I'd like to know which of these places would be best (in your opinion) to study. Just been given three options today so will do some research of course.

1) University of Washington (Seattle)

2) University of West Virginia

3) University of Calfornia Pennsylvania

Cheers :ayatollah:

Re: Advice on the U.S.A, where to go?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

OhhhGa wrote:For those of you who have been/lived across the pond I'd like to know which of these places would be best (in your opinion) to study. Just been given three options today so will do some research of course.

Don't know much about the USA but forget Seattle, due to the weather (you'll still think you're in Wales), forget West Virginia, due to the backward country people there and your 3rd option, is it California or Pennsylvania?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:For those of you who have been/lived across the pond I'd like to know which of these places would be best (in your opinion) to study. Just been given three options today so will do some research of course.

Don't know much about the USA but forget Seattle, due to the weather (you'll still think you're in Wales), forget West Virginia, due to the backward country people there and your 3rd option, is it California or Pennsylvania?

Cheers Nedd. Pennsylvania, apparently there's a place called California there just to confuse everything :lol:

I'll probably stick closer to home anyway (France, Italy etc) as I prefer Europe. Just thought this list looked interesting.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:59 pm

The U.S.A. Is a nice country.............just needs a population transplant.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:13 pm

shouldnt you do some reasearch on the actual universites? seattle is supposed to be quite nice isnt it?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

Cheers Nedd. Pennsylvania, apparently there's a place called California there just to confuse everything :lol:

I'll probably stick closer to home anyway (France, Italy etc) as I prefer Europe. Just thought this list looked interesting.

A friend (and ex-colleague) of mine, currently lives in Pennsylvania and is extremely happy there. He's been there for about a year now, after we were made redundant and moved there as his wife is from there.

Might not be a bad move, that one and could be a decent adventure, rather than opting for somewhere in the UK. Give it some consideration, G.

:thumbup:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Pennsylvania has a lot of Welsh communities there and place names, Brynmawr to name just one, there is also a Cardiff there, myself I would go for West Virginia, but that is my choice because Virginia is a nice state :thumbup:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Igovernor wrote:Pennsylvania has a lot of Welsh communities there and place names, Brynmawr to name just one, there is also a Cardiff there, myself I would go for West Virginia, but that is my choice because Virginia is a nice state :thumbup:

The bloke I know lives in a town called Mansfield, so there's some English thrown in as well. The Welsh connection is due to all the mining, I suppose.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Dont bother with America nothing but fat burger munching invasion monkeys the lot of them!
( well ok not all of them - but most! :lol: )
Try Canada instead. Beautiful place,nice people,loads to do.
Calgary would be my chioce if i could move anywhere!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Pennsylvania has a lot of Welsh communities there and place names, Brynmawr to name just one, there is also a Cardiff there, myself I would go for West Virginia, but that is my choice because Virginia is a nice state :thumbup:

The bloke I know lives in a town called Mansfield, so there's some English thrown in as well. The Welsh connection is due to all the mining, I suppose.

And because the USA was founded by lots of immigrants from European countries. ;)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

And because the USA was founded by lots of immigrants from European countries. ;)

Aye, tis true.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes, A few years ago there was a drama series, called off to Philadelphia in the morning about all the Welsh miners who emigrated to there OH! I just realized that I have got mixed up, I have confused Philadelphia with Pennsylvania , dumb me!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Igovernor wrote:Yes, A few years ago there was a drama series, called off to Philadelphia in the morning about all the Welsh miners who emigrated to there OH! I just realized that I have got mixed up, I have confused Philadelphia with Pennsylvania , dumb me!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's in the state of Pennsylvania, so don't worry!

:thumbup:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Silly me again, of course it is, Philly is a town penns is a state :roll:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm

The weather is rough in Seattle but not as bad as people like to think. It is a very cool and trendy academic place. The people there are friendly, and you would like it, quite a liberal place ;) .

As for Pennsylvania, you would be close to some really cool cities. Not sure there would be much to do there in California, PA but you would be able to drive to New York, Boston, Philly, or other interesting places.

West Virginia, is nothing like Virginia. Those are two distinct places. West Virginia is like a southern state in that it has a lot of rural area, but without the really laid back polite southern charm. It would be my last choice.

But you would enjoy any of the three IMO, and would miss out on a good chance. The people over here are really cool. In spite of the negative stereotypes, Americans (maybe except for New Yorkers) are a pretty gracious people.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:55 pm

disney land or universal mate...... :D :D :D :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Would love the chance to work in Seattle.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:52 pm

boston is one of my favorite places in the states! been to many different cities but always seem to go back to boston.. much preferred it to new york.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Cheers lads, some helpful replies and good advice :ayatollah:

Just need to do my research now and think about it!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:34 pm

greenlawler wrote:The weather is rough in Seattle but not as bad as people like to think. It is a very cool and trendy academic place. The people there are friendly, and you would like it, quite a liberal place ;) .

As for Pennsylvania, you would be close to some really cool cities. Not sure there would be much to do there in California, PA but you would be able to drive to New York, Boston, Philly, or other interesting places.

West Virginia, is nothing like Virginia. Those are two distinct places. West Virginia is like a southern state in that it has a lot of rural area, but without the really laid back polite southern charm. It would be my last choice.

But you would enjoy any of the three IMO, and would miss out on a good chance. The people over here are really cool. In spite of the negative stereotypes, Americans (maybe except for New Yorkers) are a pretty gracious people.

Liberal?! Seattle it is :lol:

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:10 am

krabb wrote:

disnazi-land or universal mate...... :D :D :D :ayatollah:

Cleared that up for you.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 pm

I have quite a few friends that went to University of West Virginia and they loved it.
It is apparently one of the top party schools in the US.
It's in a place called Morgantown which is pretty close to Pittsburgh, it's also driving distance to Columbus Ohio which is also a pretty cool city.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:06 pm

You jammy bugger, wish I could have my time again and go studying in the US. I've not been to Seattle, but I've heard nothing but good things about the place. West Virginia and Pennsylvania are great states. No idea where California in Pennsylvania is, but Philadelphia in Pennsylvania is in my opinion the best city in the US. It's like a small version of NYC with a buzzing nightlife but no-where near as busy as NYC, and your close to the New Jersey Coast which is fantastic.