Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Swanseas Atmosphere

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Milfy_Sigurdsson wrote:
I Bleed Blue wrote:Their support is generated, a lot are new fans who go to experience Premier League football and see the big teams(before Swansea fans have a go at me, it happens at a lot of clubs not just theirs) they have a drum, goal music and the announcer bangs on and gets them in the mood, with us it's just a plain come on support the boys and make some noise, we have no drum, goal music or that, also add the fact Swansea aren't playing with any pressure, Swansea fans don't expect them to succeed, just accept mid table, with us we're on our toes every game expecting a win because we want promotion, if we get promoted the atmosphere will improve.

Our atmosphere was better in the Championship than yours was/is.

I went to every City game at your Rugby stadium and the atmosphere was nothing special, especially after the novleyt of the first couple of encounters were out of the way.
The accoustics at the CCS arent great in my opinion, the way the club has set the ground up with the family stand next to away fans is another killer, the over zealous stewarding is another killer, the amount of supporters, who are kill joys who have plonked themselves in Ninian 117/118 is a further killer. All these reasons make for a crap atmosphere. However, against Borough, there were signs that the atmosphere was improving.

I'll play devils advocate here, I've been to the CCS 3 times now, twice with the Swans, and once to watch Scotland, I haven't seen a huge problem with the atmosphere but I guess it's the fixtures that I've been to.

The 3-2 win at the Liberty was absolutely rocking that day, as I'm sure you lot were the same when you beat us 2-1 with the late goal at CCS. When we beat you 1-0 at the CCS the away end was great, probably the same with you when you beat us at the Liberty. Very hard to judge on derby matches because there is more riding on it than usual games.

The reasons you list above are interesting though, the stewards at the Liberty are on the whole, very decent. The family stand at the Liberty is at the opposite end to the away fans, the quieter fans tend to be in the West and the noise comes from the East. You are probably right, it sounds as if your ground is set up wrong.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:40 pm

new stadium, sound dont carry well, away fans next to familiy section, new fans who dont know the songs, singers mixed with ovaltiners, stewards who get away with it, telly in the concourse, seating all contribute to the worst or one of the worst atmospheres in the championship.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm

BluebirdJoe wrote:
FinancialAdvisor wrote:Nothing to do with the opposition, they get sell outs against reading and Wigan.

They have always been loud fans. They have a sense of identity and they all have the same philosophies in football and don't get on the teams back if they aren't 5-0 up at half time.

We expect a ridiculous amount for a club not been in the top flight for half a century and only seem to generate a decent atmosphere when winning.

No idea what your point regarding goal music is though.

f**k off back to Planet Swamp, the only thing worse than a Jack on a Cardiff board is a Jack on a Cardiff board pretending to be a Cardiff fan.

Well said. Goal music is shocking too. Can't you generate your own atmosphere? 8-)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

You could take everything away from cardiff you could say we are a poorer club a worse club than swansea but what you couldn't say is that we have a weaker fanbase than swansea or have quieter fans, I have talked to friends from different various clubs and they say cardiff create an atmosphere away from home which is one of the best around

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Hmmm. Spoke to a mate recently, who follows a premiership team all over. Recons atmosphere at Liberty was one of best & most hostilein their league.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:04 pm

scotsjack wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Milfy_Sigurdsson wrote:
I Bleed Blue wrote:Their support is generated, a lot are new fans who go to experience Premier League football and see the big teams(before Swansea fans have a go at me, it happens at a lot of clubs not just theirs) they have a drum, goal music and the announcer bangs on and gets them in the mood, with us it's just a plain come on support the boys and make some noise, we have no drum, goal music or that, also add the fact Swansea aren't playing with any pressure, Swansea fans don't expect them to succeed, just accept mid table, with us we're on our toes every game expecting a win because we want promotion, if we get promoted the atmosphere will improve.

Our atmosphere was better in the Championship than yours was/is.

I went to every City game at your Rugby stadium and the atmosphere was nothing special, especially after the novleyt of the first couple of encounters were out of the way.
The accoustics at the CCS arent great in my opinion, the way the club has set the ground up with the family stand next to away fans is another killer, the over zealous stewarding is another killer, the amount of supporters, who are kill joys who have plonked themselves in Ninian 117/118 is a further killer. All these reasons make for a crap atmosphere. However, against Borough, there were signs that the atmosphere was improving.

I'll play devils advocate here, I've been to the CCS 3 times now, twice with the Swans, and once to watch Scotland, I haven't seen a huge problem with the atmosphere but I guess it's the fixtures that I've been to.

The 3-2 win at the Liberty was absolutely rocking that day, as I'm sure you lot were the same when you beat us 2-1 with the late goal at CCS. When we beat you 1-0 at the CCS the away end was great, probably the same with you when you beat us at the Liberty. Very hard to judge on derby matches because there is more riding on it than usual games.

The reasons you list above are interesting though, the stewards at the Liberty are on the whole, very decent. The family stand at the Liberty is at the opposite end to the away fans, the quieter fans tend to be in the West and the noise comes from the East. You are probably right, it sounds as if your ground is set up wrong.

I think, that out of those reasons I've raised, the one that has the biggest affect, is having the family stand next to the away support. This would be the case at anyones ground, not just ours. For instance, at Derby, on Tuesday, there is a section above and to the right next to the away supporters, which creates most of the noise, if that had been the family end, there would have been no atmosphere at Pride Park, the other end only sang once all night.
At this moment in time, the club are scared about doing anything that looks as if they are encouraging a boisterous atmosphere, as they believe that our own supporters can't be trusted to get behind the team with real passion and noise without it turning to violence, which is extremelly annoying being as we have proved time and time again over the years that we know where the bounderies are. The club needs dialogue with the supporters to find solutions to this as I actually beieve that this issue of the lack of atmosphere is putting off more supporters from attending games than the issues of re-branding or match day costs put together. Many who I have spoken to, just don't enjoy watching football in a sterile atmosphere. It always makes me laugh when Ali blurts out "Support the Boys and make some noise" at the top of his voice, whilst the stewards are doing their best to kill any noise by telling everyone to sit down and behave themselves :lol:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:The club needs dialogue with the supporters to find solutions to this

From what I read on here, that sounds like the way forward. At the Liberty, I have my season ticket in the East stand, only once, a few seasons ago, did the stewards have one of those nights, telling everyone to sit down, ejecting a couple of people and the police had their camcorder out :lol:

The upshot of that night was a backlash from the fans afterwards (no trouble in the ground) and that was the end of the matter, the East stand towards the away goals is where the fans stand to watch the game, the stewards show common sense, the guy with the drum is dead centre getting the crowd going if there is a lull, all in all, it works for us.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:23 pm

I tell you what makes for a great atmosphere.I'd say 15 of the 19 other PL clubs are guaranteed to to fill the away end so almost every game the ground is buzzing.On the other hand most fans in the PL just sit there and clap once in a while and it's upto us Jacks to keep them entertained,which we do every time.None of them can believe how good the atmosphere is down here.

Last night we had the smallest attendance by 6k in the PL yet i can guarantee we were the noisiest fans out of the lot.We loves a song down west we does see butt.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm

6 bysedd wrote:I tell you what makes for a great atmosphere.I'd say 15 of the 19 other PL clubs are guaranteed to to fill the away end so almost every game the ground is buzzing.On the other hand most fans in the PL just sit there and clap once in a while and it's upto us Jacks to keep them entertained,which we do every time.None of them can believe how good the atmosphere is down here.

The West Brom fans had a go last night, even though they only took half the allocation. Funniest one was Sunday, as soon as the scousers piped up with you'll never walk alone, Hymns and Arias drowned them out within seconds, from every corner of the ground :lol: Brilliant.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm

scotsjack wrote:
6 bysedd wrote:I tell you what makes for a great atmosphere.I'd say 15 of the 19 other PL clubs are guaranteed to to fill the away end so almost every game the ground is buzzing.On the other hand most fans in the PL just sit there and clap once in a while and it's upto us Jacks to keep them entertained,which we do every time.None of them can believe how good the atmosphere is down here.

The West Brom fans had a go last night, even though they only took half the allocation. Funniest one was Sunday, as soon as the scousers piped up with you'll never walk alone, Hymns and Arias drowned them out within seconds, from every corner of the ground :lol: Brilliant.

Aye,they had a go last night which was refreshing....until the 1st goal went in.The soon lost interest though.Hardly surprising the footballing lesson we served up :D

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Loads of different factors, for one the ground is set up wrong. The family end and singing section should be swapped around, policing costs wouldn't be too much extra as we're more well behaved now.

Second is how full the ground is, we can fit near enough 27,000 in ours and get on average around 22,000 fans, majority full but big gaps left in between the Canton/Ninian and around the front, thus causing a 'break' in the singing because people don't want to feel stupid chanting on their own. Swansea fill theirs every week and I think they're closer to the pitch than us.

Finally, and most importantly, as someone mentioned the other day, think it was Taff on the Mersey. We've got used to being one of the better sides in the division and expect victories at home now, whereas when we first went up we were fighting for survival. Moments like that are when you subconciously feel you need to get behind the boys, therefore more singing. If we went up we would return to being one of the lowly sides fighting for survival in the Prem, with a full stadium so we could go back to being the well known passionate partizan crowd we're known for :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Rio Ferdinand "I don't fear returning to Elland road with Man Utd. You seem to forget I played at Ninian Park last season."

stupid new stadium

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:18 pm

CantonJack wrote:Loads of different factors, for one the ground is set up wrong. The family end and singing section should be swapped around, policing costs wouldn't be too much extra as we're more well behaved now.

Second is how full the ground is, we can fit near enough 27,000 in ours and get on average around 22,000 fans, majority full but big gaps left in between the Canton/Ninian and around the front, thus causing a 'break' in the singing because people don't want to feel stupid chanting on their own. Swansea fill theirs every week and I think they're closer to the pitch than us.

Finally, and most importantly, as someone mentioned the other day, think it was Taff on the Mersey. We've got used to being one of the better sides in the division and expect victories at home now, whereas when we first went up we were fighting for survival. Moments like that are when you subconciously feel you need to get behind the boys, therefore more singing. If we went up we would return to being one of the lowly sides fighting for survival in the Prem, with a full stadium so we could go back to being the well known passionate partizan crowd we're known for :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I agree with your point about the amount of supporters in the ground, with the gaps etc, we had an attendance for the Borough game of 21,500, however it looked a lot more than that, as we have been used to being told that we are selling 21,000 seats, yet we are only getting 18-19,000 actual bums on seats. That extra 2-3,000 made a big difference, as the atmosphere was far far better than anything this season, especially the last 20 minutes.
We know we are not a quite or dis-passionate bunch, quite the oppposite in fact, yet the club hierarchy and their attitude towards their own supporters are strangling the atmosphere, this aint new, its been going on since we moved across the road.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 pm

A proper away end atmosphere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrD2AWsaIMw

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm

They hardly ever had an atmopshere before they got promoted, there's your answer.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm

scotsjack wrote:I've said this many times on here, the Liberty atmosphere is great these days, but it wasn't always like this. We had the odd game here and there where it was good, but not always.

It came about with building new memories, League one champions, the play-off matches, eventually it clicked. Can't put an exact moment but it took time for all the pieces to fall into place. The like minded sections of the crowd all have their places sorted these days which helps, but it didn't happen overnight.

I'd say it started to become good with the emergence of the drummer in the Championship, think his first game with the drum was the 3-0 win over Doncaster. Performances were good, the fans were good, new good atmosphere creating songs were formed (I just can't get enough, The Cavase), attendences improved and we played a lot of big teams.

We've got great atmosphere at the Liberty though, partly due to the way the ground is organised, certainly partly due to us being in the Premier League, partly due to the drummer and partly due to us having songs that can create a good atmosphere (Hymes and Arias, The Cavase). Having been to a lot of the Premier League grounds since our promotion, ours has had a much better atmosphere than i've been to so far (including Norwich and Stoke).

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 pm

We have allways had a good atmophere depending on the who we play!as did you.
As for saying its the rugby fans??we were getting 15k plus in the champ and leauge 1!thats only 3.5k less then now?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:22 pm

swansealad69 wrote:We have allways had a good atmophere depending on the who we play!as did you.
As for saying its the rugby fans??we were getting 15k plus in the champ and leauge 1!thats only 3.5k less then now?

Bollocks. 12 k for some games in championship with free tickets/clubcard deals. You are a small club get over it whilst we are bigger (not a big club before you start spouting)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Wilts have a day off from being a bitter prick ffs.
Check out the stats for when we were in league 1and we were getting 15k in some games.
As for bieng a big club!!never said we are but will say you aint eather...
You are a bitter boy aint you.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:31 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Wilts have a day off from being a bitter prick ffs.
Check out the stats for when we were in league 1and we were getting 15k in some games.
As for bieng a big club!!never said we are but will say you aint eather...
You are a bitter boy aint you.

Not bitter at all.

You are the one with the huge chip on your shoulder. Resorting to calling names as well. Pathetic. I've been in 20k crowds in 4th division. You only had 15k for big games v the likes of Leeds.

Please learn to argue properly or go onto your own clubs website.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm

And wile in the champ you have been in gates of 12k!so please dont make out you have allways had big gates when clearly only since your fa cup final and play offs you have had decent gates.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:41 pm

swansealad69 wrote:And wile in the champ you have been in gates of 12k!so please dont make out you have allways had big gates when clearly only since your fa cup final and play offs you have had decent gates.

In the 2010 season, when in the same competition, we were getting 23k average (high of 25k) and you were getting averages of 15k. Both teams were chasing promotion.

No doubt that Cardiff are the bigger club/side - history and fan base will dictate that, but there's no doubt that Swansea are by far the better team at the moment (no true City fan can argue that point)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:41 pm

swansealad69 wrote:And wile in the champ you have been in gates of 12k!so please dont make out you have allways had big gates when clearly only since your fa cup final and play offs you have had decent gates.

I've been in gates of 1500 and away followings of 100 however we have always had a bigger support than yours with few exceptions and that is what hurts you.

As for atmosphere-rugby songs are an embarrassment. A mate of mine who is about the only good jack (you might know him-Hoppy from Carmarthen who was one of your hard core in the 90s) refuses to go to liberty due to egg chasing songs and the new breed of supporter.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:

In the 2010 season, when in the same competition, we were getting 23k average (high of 25k) and you were getting averages of 15k. Both teams were chasing promotion.

No doubt that Cardiff are the bigger club/side - history and fan base will dictate that, but there's no doubt that Swansea are by far the better team at the moment (no true City fan can argue that point)

The jacks are better than us at moment but not by much and i would love to play them in the FA Cup to prove this theory correct.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Now willts you realy are on a new level by saying we aint much better then you.
As for rugby songs!the big match revisited on sats should you 2weeks back from the 70s!and gess what your fans were singing???
I allso been in gates of 1300 and less then 100 away,and been to every swansea cardiff game since i was13 so i allso know a bit.
Ps dont kmow your mate as i no good with names but will know him if he use to hang around with the lads.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58 pm

2010-2011 season, your Promotion season, I should add, your average=15,567. Our average= 23,193. We have considerably bigger crowds than you-FACT :lol:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Now willts you realy are on a new level by saying we aint much better then you.
As for rugby songs!the big match revisited on sats should you 2weeks back from the 70s!and gess what your fans were singing???
I allso been in gates of 1300 and less then 100 away,and been to every swansea cardiff game since i was13 so i allso know a bit.
Ps dont kmow your mate as i no good with names but will know him if he use to hang around with the lads.

Take my word for it. You think you are better than you are. We are better than you think as well. I'd love to play you in the FA Cup just to shut you egg singing shell suit wearing scruffs up.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:

2010-2011 season, your Promotion season, I should add, your average=15,567. Our average= 23,193. We have considerably bigger crowds than you-FACT :lol:

Careful Phil you'll have him confused with all that correct spelling.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
swansealad69 wrote:Now willts you realy are on a new level by saying we aint much better then you.

Take my word for it. You think you are better than you are. We are better than you think as well. I'd love to play you in the FA Cup just to shut you egg singing shell suit wearing scruffs up.

You should be careful what you wish for :mrgreen:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:09 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

You should be careful what you wish for :mrgreen:

I'd love to play you lot in the cup. The likes of Whittingham, Bellers, Kimbo and Noone would cause you problems. Not saying we would win but it'd be one hell of a game and there wouldnt be much in it.