Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

It's not the first time I have mentioned the need for more

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:38 pm

' Thank The Lord we didnt lose '

It's not the first time I have mentioned the need for more players.

I thought the team done well last night, especially because we played with 10 men for such an amount of time, and to get 4 points from two way games was as good as many of us expected.

I read on here this morning that Malky said he was proud of his "threadbare squad", but why is it threadbare?

Yes there have been injuries and we have had more than most but I think most agree that we are desperately shy of numbers long before injuries hit.

It's not the first time I have mentioned the need for more players and no doubt it won't be the last, I just find it frustrating to have been in this position when there has been a clear need to add players in certain positions.

Nothing will happen now as the emergency loan window has shut and we will have to wait until January before we strengthen.

At a recent meeting with Simon Lim he said it was Vincent Tan's plan to get us into the Premier League and to stay there, so why couldn't we not bring players in who are good enough to get us up there and good enough to play up there too.

Lets be honest whoever you are and whatever your thoughts are of him, Vincent Tan has invested a great deal of money into the playing squad to try and get us up there.

I am so glad we didn't lose last night, as I think Malky's comment of 'threadbare squad' would have gone down as an excuse and not a reason to be proud of, after a credible draw.

Surely now though as a result of being threadbare Malky will act to fill the voids in the squad early in January so we don't find ourselves having to use one of the youngsters out of position.

A couple of defenders obviously and a couple of strikers, as Velikonja is clearly not ready as Malky does not pick him and Gestede is bit part only. Hopefully we will cover these positions and City will continue to kick on until the end of the end of the season.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: THANK THE LORD WE DIDN'T LOSE

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Agree with this - find it slightly bizarre that our squad is being called threadbare after all the investment in the playing squad over summer.

It's at the points where we felt needed strengthening before the loan window shut too. The versatility of Darcy Blake would be very handy right about now!

After losing Maynard so cruelly, we should Hve got someone in.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Very concerning this threadbare situation. It just seems we can have a huge squad but struggle to put out a team.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:Agree with this - find it slightly bizarre that our squad is being called threadbare after all the investment in the playing squad over summer.

It's at the points where we felt needed strengthening before the loan window shut too. The versatility of Darcy Blake would be very handy right about now!

After losing Maynard so cruelly, we should Hve got someone in.

Indeed we should have brought someone in for Maynard and definitely 2 defenders and being greedy another striker as well as the replacement for Maynard.

Re: ' THANK THE LORD WE DIDN'T LOSE '

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Still cant get my head round the Velikonja situation, I obviously need to go out and watch him play in a development game and make my own mind up. Good money spent on a player thats 'not ready' oh well, in Malky we trust! :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Manager Malky Mackay pleased with Cardiff City resilience

Malky Mackay has praised Cardiff's resilience as they maintained their place at the top of the Championship with a 1-1 draw at Derby County.
Heidar Helguson had given Cardiff a first-half lead but the visitors then had winger Craig Noone dismissed for two yellow cards.
Theo Robinson equalised for Derby but 10-man Cardiff held on.
"We stay top and we stay top scorers in the division as well, which is important," manager Mackay said.
The draw at Derby followed last Saturday's 2-1 win at Barnsley, which Cardiff achieved without six first-team regulars.
Continue reading the main story

I was really delighted up to 60 minutes and think we could have gone on and won the game by more

Malky Mackay
Cardiff City manager
Injuries have hampered Cardiff during recent weeks and Mackay handed starts to teenagers Joe Ralls and Ben Nugent at Pride Park.
But the Cardiff manager is hoping to welcome back four senior players for Sunday's home game against Sheffield Wednesday.
"We really ended up quite threadbare but I'm very proud of the group," Mackay said of the draw at Derby.
"We've been up in Yorkshire and Derbyshire and picked up four points out of six with a real patched-up group.
"I'm delighted to be bringing [Kevin] McNaughton, [Andrew] Taylor, [Ben] Turner and [Don] Cowie back in, hopefully for Sunday."
Cardiff were leading 1-0, courtesy of Helguson's first-half goal, when they were reduced to 10 men following Noone's dismissal.
Noone picked up two yellows for two clumsy challenges in quick succession before Robinson equalised for Nigel Clough's side.
Although he had no complaints about the decision, Mackay rued Noone's red card - the second Cardiff player to be sent-off in as many games following Simon Lappin's dismissal against Barnsley.
"I was really delighted up to 60 minutes and think we could have gone on and won the game by more," added Mackay.
"The sending-off then changes that and means you have to be dogged and resilient.
"I was delighted by the way we made sure we professionally saw the game out."

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 pm

We're certainly threadbare in defence but we all knew that Malky had gone into the season with only 5 senior defenders.

Not only does that mean that each of them knows that their place is almost guaranteed no matter how they play, it also means that should injuries or suspensions come along as inevitably they will(and have), we are suddenly "threadbare" and having to rely on youngsters such as Ralls and Nugent, who have certainly not let anyone down, but we really should have signed more experienced cover along the whole of the back four at the start of the season.

I don't think it can be argued by anyone that Vincent Tan has not backed the manager financially and Malky saw fit to spend the funds available to him in a certain way.

If the squad is threadbare it is because it was unbalanced at the start of the season.

The lack of experienced cover in defence and a striker to work with or cover for Helgusson must be a priority come January.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm

We are ok untill january you drama queens :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 am

Earlier in the season Malky said he didn't want to get anyone in to just keep the bench warm.

No, you get them in for situations like we're in now.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 am

Malky said we were top scorers of the league? If true hardly a drama going forward.

Defensively yes a little light in numbers but you can't plan ahead losing two left backs, a right back and a CB.

None are long term, all could be back for Sunday, nothing wrong with using a few youngsters for a week to cover. I'd say it shows we have more depth than we thought.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:36 am

2blue2handle wrote:Malky said we were top scorers of the league? If true hardly a drama going forward.

Defensively yes a little light in numbers but you can't plan ahead losing two left backs, a right back and a CB.

None are long term, all could be back for Sunday, nothing wrong with using a few youngsters for a week to cover. I'd say it shows we have more depth than we thought.

^^^^^^^^^
This!!!

When is enough enough? We brought in emergency cover at Left Back, unfortunately the
lad got an unlucky sending off. But McNaughton, Turner, Taylor, all out at the same time?
You cant really legislate for that. But its proved our Academy is doing its job, the young
lads did really well! I agree perhaps we needed more than Connelly in at the start of the
season, but the fact that we are still top after a catastrophic month of injuries surely proves
that the 'squad' is up to it. For all we know Malky DID have another target months ago but
it fell through for whatever reason. Remember Sordell/Noone and the "Malky is a liar" stories
saying he only pretended to put bids in to cover the fact that the Malaysians werent backing him!!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10 am

Conway has become frustrated at not playing and maybe Malky feels the team spirit is better not having players moping around because loan players have got their place?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 am

Everyone as an opinion on what we do on the field based on what we see , however not many are aware of what happens behind closed doors until it becomes public ... Conway transfer.
If we believe some then it's not only Conway that is unhappy with the lack of game time.
Do you honestly think by increasing the squad will improve this situation ?
All I am saying is its a fine balancing act which ultimately the manager makes.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:07 am

2blue2handle wrote:Malky said we were top scorers of the league? If true hardly a drama going forward.

Agree - it is exactly this sort of situation that then serves to illustrate the capability of the Academy - Nugent and Ralls have done well, John got on the bench. No League Cup etc so these boys will only have injuries to first teamers to develop.

So many on here criticised Dave Jones for his approach to young players; Malky comes in and has changed the approach, then when we start using them in real football matches we are all having a baby!

If it is good enough for Fergie it sure is good enough for Malky - and me ;)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 am

im glad we didnt bring anyone else in to be fair, we dont need them.

Maybe one or two permenant signings in Jan, but thats it for me.

we have cowie, kev, taylor and lappin who should all be back for sunday.

Turner and smith will be back soon too

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:32 am

Nice one mate spot on.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:32 am

I agree with Mackay,s statement,that we have a threadbare squad,but surly Carl you have say that the reason for that is Mackays dithering and an inability to strengthen our numbers when he had an opportunity to do so...is it not now the time to call a spade a spade

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 pm

angelis49 wrote:I agree with Mackay,s statement,that we have a threadbare squad,but surly Carl you have say that the reason for that is Mackays dithering and an inability to strengthen our numbers when he had an opportunity to do so...is it not now the time to call a spade a spade

Your right.......your a pleb

Re: It's not the first time I have mentioned the need for mo

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Imagine we had brought in a defender from the Premiership on £18,000 a week....this weekend Turner, McNaughton, Taylor all report fit to play....what do we do? Play the £18 grand a week man until January and piss off our existing squad or leave the £18, grand a week man on the bench?

Its not easy being a manager although I also hoped we would bring in a defender last week.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 pm

corky wrote:Imagine we had brought in a defender from the Premiership on £18,000 a week....this weekend Turner, McNaughton, Taylor all report fit to play....what do we do? Play the £18 grand a week man until January and piss off our existing squad or leave the £18, grand a week man on the bench?

Its not easy being a manager although I also hoped we would bring in a defender last week.

But I also believe Corky, if Malky had had more strength in depth and got loan signings in we might be 6pts better off. Come December, if we injuries and loose a couple of games we will be out of the top 2 again and the Malky out brigade will be back. But your right in one way a manager cant win and yes I am chuffed we are top, but I believe we could have been more comfortable up there and there is a tough month ahead of us. To me they have now gambled everything on getting promotion this season, so its now or never in my opinion. On the plus side, well done to Malky on believing in our youth.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
corky wrote:Imagine we had brought in a defender from the Premiership on £18,000 a week....this weekend Turner, McNaughton, Taylor all report fit to play....what do we do? Play the £18 grand a week man until January and piss off our existing squad or leave the £18, grand a week man on the bench?

But I also believe Corky, if Malky had had more strength in depth and got loan signings in we might be 6pts better off. Come December, if we injuries and loose a couple of games we will be out of the top 2 again and the Malky out brigade will be back. But your right in one way a manager cant win and yes I am chuffed we are top, but I believe we could have been more comfortable up there and there is a tough month ahead of us.To me they have now gambled everything on getting promotion this season, so its now or never in my opinion.On the plus side, well done to Malky on believing in our youth.

Maybe, if he had more faith in the youngsters he has now included, he could've got them involved earlier. Some of our defenders got complacent, because they didn't feel anyone was pushing for their places from the bench.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Now we've seen Nugent play, we know he can cover centre half adequately.
We are still top of the league.
A pair of fullbacks and another striker in January will probably be enough.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Well said 2b2h.
Can't have it both ways. Fans moaned when jones ignored the youth. Now a few injuries and Nugent comes in and does brilliant. If we didn't have those 3/4 injuries we'd have been none the wiser.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:18 pm

My dear CraigCCFC....its so nice to see you back after your recent surgery

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:35 pm

milly44 wrote:

Well said 2b2h.
Can't have it both ways. Fans moaned when jones ignored the youth. Now a few injuries and Nugent comes in and does brilliant. If we didn't have those 3/4 injuries we'd have been none the wiser.

So are you suggesting we didn't have to bring in Matt Connolly then Milly, as we had a perfectly able centre half replacement in Ben Nugent?

Also do you think that there was no need to bring Simon Lapping in on loan as we have used Joe Ralls as temporary full back?

I am genuinely interested in your view.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm

This is where I disagree totally Luke.

I think you can plan ahead for injuries and suspensions, how can I say this?

Simply because I have wrote on here on many occasions and also in my column on a Saturday that I have been concerned that if our full backs got injured and a centre half then we would find ourselves with a problem!

We have countered that problem by using two midfielders as temporary full backs, not ideal and really it is foolhardy to think otherwise.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:47 pm

carlccfc wrote:
milly44 wrote:

Well said 2b2h.

So are you suggesting we didn't have to bring in Matt Connolly then Milly, as we had a perfectly able centre half replacement in Ben Nugent?

Also do you think that there was no need to bring Simon Lapping in on loan as we have used Joe Ralls as temporary full back?

I am genuinely interested in your view.

Connelly was brought in months ago Carl.
I haven't read your opening post as it had more than 6 lines and I get migraines :lol:
I was merely making the point that jones neglected the youth side, so it's good to see young players come in and prove there up to it.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Simply because I have wrote on here on many occasions and also in my column on a Saturday that I have been concerned that if our full backs got injured and a centre half then we would find ourselves with a problem!

We have countered that problem by using two midfielders as temporary full backs, not ideal and really it is foolhardy to think otherwise.

The thing is you can only have 18 players in the team squad. Would bringing in lots of players to sit on a bench or in the stands be helpful? I agree a full back should have been bought in the summer but Malky corrected that by going out and bringing a loan when we needed it. As for strikers we had enough even with Maynard injured. It would be unfair to the strikers we have to have brought someone in on loan and prevent them from trying to break into the team. We are top goal scorers (though most coming from midfield) so its not that great a worry. I would like to see a striker brought in January where we can get him permantly unless he wants to start playing etein.

Also people moan about the increasing debt but then want us to chuck a load of money on players to sit in the stands just in case we get injuries

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:11 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Of course MM could plan ahead and could have brought in more and more players but how often do we lose 4 defenders over a weekend. MM knew before the window closed that they should all be back in a week to find some cover for a game or two.

Even if we had bought in an extra LB and RB I dont think MM would have gone with a LB, RB, CB all on the bench against Boro (or I hope he wouldnt have anyway) so we still would have been filling in the holes.

People go on about the debt quite often but to me bringing in a load of loans to cover a week of injuries would have seemed OTT to say the least. These loads would then end up back in the stands on big wages doing nothing or alternatively pushed and potentially unsettled permanent players who had been pushed out by loans.

We gave a few youngsters a go and it hasn't effected our form at all, Nugent has been excellent. We have won 3 out of 4 games and held on for an impressive draw at Derby, the injuries have had no effect on us at all.

To me the injuries have proved we have more strength in depth than we though and in the next week or so, maybe even on Sunday MM will have a selection dilemma in defence because of all the options.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm

CJ it looks like I copied you but I didnt see your post until after I posted :oops: