Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Darren Bent

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Talk going around that he could be a target for us in January. Of course there is reaction to this with such arguments as why would he want to drop down a division and its rumoured he is a target for Liverpool. All these arguments are feasable but just how much possible is it he could come to us?

Lets talk about the argument he would not drop down a division. Well this to me is a weak one as if he joined us he would be entering a team that is favourite to go up to the premier. We are not a championship team that is on the outside hoping to get a chance of going up but are the team that everyone is trying to dislodge from getting there. It is possible that if it is true we are looking at Bent then it would be on his mind that he could quite easily become a main player with us and the 6 months playing in the Championship could be an excellent stage for him to cement his place. So would he choose Liverpool with all its uncertainty or will he it as us being a team that will rekindle his career? Of course the mentality is that no one will turn down Liverpool if the chance came along but it is not a myth that we could a possible choice for him.

Thinking forward we should be looking at a player like this if we are serious about going up. We will need to add to the quality of our squad if the premier comes beckoning. Don't think anyone would argue about that. Bent would definately be that quality we should be looking for. Getting him in on loan to a permanent move if we go up to me would be the icing on the cake.

Re: Darren Bent

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:58 pm

NO chance. He has 47 appearances at the moment, once he gets to 50 for Villa, Villa have to hand over another FIVE million to Sunderland

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm

I Bleed Blue wrote:NO chance. He has 47 appearances at the moment, once he gets to 50 for Villa, Villa have to hand over another FIVE million to Sunderland

I thought that would be an even bigger incentive to move him on.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
I Bleed Blue wrote:NO chance. He has 47 appearances at the moment, once he gets to 50 for Villa, Villa have to hand over another FIVE million to Sunderland

I thought that would be an even bigger incentive to move him on.

I can see where you're coming from but we have no chance of signing him

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Cant see it happening

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Have you actually heard rumours that we are interested in him?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Talk going around Ian? where and how did this come about? curious....

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Good ol' JR wrote:Have you actually heard rumours that we are interested in him?

Merlin wrote:Talk going around Ian? where and how did this come about? curious....

Just talk like any other talk.

Straight off a lot of people say no way,just like they did about Bellamy first time around. However the more I think about it the more I feel it is a lot more than a no way hosay situation.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Talk going around that he could be a target for us in January. Of course there is reaction to this with such arguments as why would he want to drop down a division and its rumoured he is a target for Liverpool. All these arguments are feasable but just how much possible is it he could come to us?

Lets talk about the argument he would not drop down a division. Well this to me is a weak one as if he joined us he would be entering a team that is favourite to go up to the premier. We are not a championship team that is on the outside hoping to get a chance of going up but are the team that everyone is trying to dislodge from getting there. It is possible that if it is true we are looking at Bent then it would be on his mind that he could quite easily become a main player with us and the 6 months playing in the Championship could be an excellent stage for him to cement his place. So would he choose Liverpool with all its uncertainty or will he it as us being a team that will rekindle his career? Of course the mentality is that no one will turn down Liverpool if the chance came along but it is not a myth that we could a possible choice for him.

Thinking forward we should be looking at a player like this if we are serious about going up. We will need to add to the quality of our squad if the premier comes beckoning. Don't think anyone would argue about that. Bent would definately be that quality we should be looking for. Getting him in on loan to a permanent move if we go up to me would be the icing on the cake.

are you on drugs ? no chance proberly the most outrageous rumour ive ever heard :lol:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm

wez 1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Talk going around that he could be a target for us in January. Of course there is reaction to this with such arguments as why would he want to drop down a division and its rumoured he is a target for Liverpool. All these arguments are feasable but just how much possible is it he could come to us?

are you on drugs ? no chance proberly the most outrageous rumour ive ever heard :lol:

I've heard a lot worse.

So you dont think it would cross his mind if the opportunity was presented to him. That is to come to an ambitious club who could be playing premier football where hewould be first choice?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:00 pm

wez 1927 wrote:

no the dimitar berbatov one was worse or the peter crouch one

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Zero chance. Absolutely zero chance.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
wez 1927 wrote:

You're forgetting that brief Adebayor rumour shortly after Bellamy signed the first time.

He ended up signing for Real Madrid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Not a bad post but I think you dismiss the liverpool option too easily,besides if he was to be moved on surely there would be at least half a dozen PL clubs in before us.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Jollffe wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
wez 1927 wrote:

You're forgetting that brief Adebayor rumour shortly after Bellamy signed the first time.

He ended up signing for Real Madrid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha oh yeah forgot about that :lol: It bewilders me sometimes how people come with these rumors. With Darren Bent I can understand but I can see him going to a prem side in January

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:49 pm

No chance of getting him. His price tag and wage will be huge

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:28 pm

This has got to be 2nd only to the Berbatov link :lol:

Hes been frozen out at Villa for financial reasons not footballing reasons.

When he becomes available in January he wont need to worry about dropping down a division thats for sure.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Don't rate Bent.

Genuinely wouldn't want him here even if he bizarrely was offered to us.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 pm

He cost 18m last year (rising to 24m if he plays another couple games). he is on 65k a week. enough said.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Aramore wrote:Don't rate Bent.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This site gets better

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Villa - 20 goals in 47
Sunderland - 32 in 58

How can you not rate the guy? :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I hope all of these posters are 10 yrs old otherwise I'm seriously worried! Darren Bent hahahaha

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Jollffe wrote:

Villa - 20 goals in 47
Sunderland - 32 in 58

How can you not rate the guy? :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

What does he do apart from score?

If he doesn't score it's like playing the game with 10 men.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm

What does he do apart from score?

If he doesn't score it's like playing the game with 10 men.[/quote]

What does he do apart from score? Lol. Who gives a f**k, goals win games

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Mikef wrote:What does he do apart from score?

If he doesn't score it's like playing the game with 10 men.

What does he do apart from score? Lol. Who gives a f**k, goals win games[/quote]

So if he scores one goal in a match but doesn't pass when he's got the ball and doesn't track back to help the midfield which allows the other team far more time on the ball to build their attacks with.

Personally I'd rather my striker did more than just sit in the 6 yard box all game. And Malky agrees which is why we have strikers like Bellamy and Helguson and Earnie's been sent off to Israel.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Strikers who track back are good to have but they don't score as much as players like Bent, Defoe, Dzeko, Hernandez etc. If your striker is one who tracks back to help the midfield all the time who's going to score the goals??

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Are you serious? I think you need your heard sorted out if you think he will be coming here, hes a premier league player through and through.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

neeball wrote:He cost 18m last year (rising to 24m if he plays another couple games). he is on 65k a week. enough said.

Exactly, there are bigger clubs than us that will be in for him.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... aying.html

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Mikef wrote:Strikers who track back are good to have but they don't score as much as players like Bent, Defoe, Dzeko, Hernandez etc. If your striker is one who tracks back to help the midfield all the time who's going to score the goals??

It's all about transitions.

When you don't have the ball you want him to press their center backs so they can't distribute as well, You want him to drop deeper in midfield and chase the ball or a player giving them less options.

Then when you get the ball you want them getting back into the position where they can effectively attack the ball.

Players like Bellamy can do that and even Defoe has worked hard on that aspect of his game lately and he's definitely improved his all round game. Bent still just sits waiting for the ball to be delivered to him exactly where he wants it. Which is why he's not done that well since Downing and Young have left Villa.