Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHY DO WE SIT BACK

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 am

Tonight we went one nil up and sat back can't remember us creating a chance,why do we always score and sit back,and we were just hoofing the ball everywhere

Re: WHY DO WE SIT BACK

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:43 am

Defending a lead I guess, sending off won't have helped.

We do drop a little to deep but then again we are top of the league, maybe others should sit back.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 am

Derby have only lost 2 games at home in 11 games and have the highest possession in the championship. Though I do agree we tend to sit back when we take a lead

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 am

Always Blue wrote:Tonight we went one nil up and sat back can't remember us creating a chance,why do we always score and sit back,and we were just hoofing the ball everywhere

Richard Rufus

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:48 am

I think its a mindset thing.......but what worries me,is why do we do it,is it the case that Mackay thinks thats the way to defend a lead,if not why does he not instruct his players to push up more,whats Hudson doing?should he not see the danger of playing to deep and instruct his team mates to push up,we seem to panic and make stupid mistakes,hence the Noone sending off...its needs to be sorted soon or our promotion hopes might suffer

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 am

I dont believe they are intsructed to sit back. Against Derby and Barnsley you only have to look at David Marshall, he is forever urging everyone forward, if they were instructed to sit back why would he do that.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 am

Why don't we ever give credit to the other team? Rather than assuming we sit back, maybe it's the other team forcing us back, especially away from home.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:07 am

Resilience 10 out of 10 :ayatollah:
Passing was awful we just didn't get a foothold and take control. We sat to far back with our creative midfielder Whitts sat even further back. It does feel we play not to get beat away from home ! but hey we are still top and yes the sending off was very harsh.
But a great trip :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Why don't we ever give credit to the other team? Rather than assuming we sit back, maybe it's the other team forcing us back, especially away from home.

Well said :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 am

For the quality of player we have we do tend to get out passed and out played away from home. You would think we would be able to hold onto the ball for longer periods. We seem to give it away too easily. Sounded like Bellamy hardly had a touch. Kimbo kept giving the ball away and Mutch when he came on. Whittingham hardly got a mention in commentary. The people mentioned most were Marshall, Hudson and Nugent and that was before the sending off as well as after. Shouldn't complain as we are still top, but we are not playing like a top team away from home. Let's hope Malky uses his budget well in January. :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 pm

moonboots wrote:For the quality of player we have we do tend to get out passed and out played away from home. You would think we would be able to hold onto the ball for longer periods. We seem to give it away too easily. Sounded like Bellamy hardly had a touch. Kimbo kept giving the ball away and Mutch when he came on. Whittingham hardly got a mention in commentary. The people mentioned most were Marshall, Hudson and Nugent and that was before the sending off as well as after. Shouldn't complain as we are still top, but we are not playing like a top team away from home. Let's hope Malky uses his budget well in January. :ayatollah:

Completely agree Moonboots. Our problem is not sitting deep but not being able to keep the ball which allows the opposition to force us back. And it's not just a problem away from home. It happened against Boro last week when it seemed we just couldn't wait to give the ball back to them and in large parts of other home games too. The results tell a different story and it is diffcult to argue with them, but to me we have not often looked like a promotion team this season. If we can add a bit more passing quality and control to our undoubted spirit, organisation and guts we could be exceptional.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Nemo wrote:
moonboots wrote:For the quality of player we have we do tend to get out passed and out played away from home. You would think we would be able to hold onto the ball for longer periods. We seem to give it away too easily. Sounded like Bellamy hardly had a touch. Kimbo kept giving the ball away and Mutch when he came on. Whittingham hardly got a mention in commentary. The people mentioned most were Marshall, Hudson and Nugent and that was before the sending off as well as after. Shouldn't complain as we are still top, but we are not playing like a top team away from home. Let's hope Malky uses his budget well in January. :ayatollah:

Completely agree Moonboots. Our problem is not sitting deep but not being able to keep the ball which allows the opposition to force us back. And it's not just a problem away from home. It happened against Boro last week when it seemed we just couldn't wait to give the ball back to them and in large parts of other home games too. The results tell a different story and it is diffcult to argue with them, but to me we have not often looked like a promotion team this season. If we can add a bit more passing quality and control to our undoubted spirit, organisation and guts we could be exceptional.

Yes you are right. It's not just in away games but often at home too but I suppose it's easy to mask over it because of the results. We don't seem to be a pass and move team to me, often receiving the ball standing still or under pressure. However we are very good in other areas as you point out. Lots of goals from set pieces because of Whitts' shooting and delivery technique tend to make up for other failings. Imagine how good we could be if we passed better and held onto the ball for longer periods!! :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:00 am

moonboots wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Yes you are right. It's not just in away games but often at home too but I suppose it's easy to mask over it because of the results. We don't seem to be a pass and move team to me, often receiving the ball standing still or under pressure. However we are very good in other areas as you point out. Lots of goals from set pieces because of Whitts' shooting and delivery technique tend to make up for other failings. Imagine how good we could be if we passed better and held onto the ball for longer periods!! :ayatollah:

Bellamy, Whitts, Kim Bo, Noone...

We are most definitely a pass and move side.

We have proved it in the dismantling of Leeds, Blackpool, Wolves, Blackburn.

I think all the injuries have disrupted the cohesion in the team.

It will come.