Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is Wales becoming a Police state..?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Now that more powers are being moved to Wales from London there are also powers taken back from local authorities to the WAG.

Lets be honest I can't ever see another leading group in the WAG other Labour because of the many dull fuckers who vote for Labour no matter who is standing for them.

Then we have MediaWales who are owned by Mirror Group who are well known Labour supporting media outlet.

So surely it begs the question that is Wales walking blindly towards becoming a one nation police state..?

Re: Is Wales becoming a Police state..?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Wrong forum

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am

Wrong forum but I'll still answer the question.

I agree that this is likely to happen. The problem is that British voters vote based on how they've been told by their families and their upbringing. My family is not well off but I would not vote labour. I am a UKIP voter because I decided to take it upon myself and look further afield than just the 2 parties, 3 to some, that most people look at or bother with. I was extremely happy that the UKIP got a higher vote at Corby than the Liberal Democrats.

Its a shame that no one sees Labour, the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats for the liars they are and blindly vote for them because they believe it is the right thing to do. The UKIP manifesto appeals more to me, especially being anti Europe. I am a firm believer that trade treaties and peace treaties can be set up without EU membership and that we should follow the same type of model on immigration as Canada. A points based system that takes in the educated, skilled workers or relations is the best system. That does not make you a racist.

The problem is a lot of people do not understand politics in this country as well and that having campaigns such as in America which whips up hysteria would get more people actively involved and feeling part of something. The system is to blame as are some of the people.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:43 am

No, it definitely is not.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:11 am

OhhhGa wrote:No, it definitely is not.

You should be head of the liberal democrats or labour party honestly. :roll:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 am

Just because you can speak doesn't mean you have to. :roll:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 am

Angry Man wrote:Now that more powers are being moved to Wales from London there are also powers taken back from local authorities to the WAG.

Lets be honest I can't ever see another leading group in the WAG other Labour because of the many dull fuckers who vote for Labour no matter who is standing for them.

Then we have MediaWales who are owned by Mirror Group who are well known Labour supporting media outlet.

So surely it begs the question that is Wales walking blindly towards becoming a one nation police state..?

One serious question for you. If we all blindly vote Labour regardless. How come you got voted in before? Were you standing for Labour?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 am

Politics is crap. :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:52 am

I don't live in Wales, so I don't think I can judge whether Wales is becoming a police state or not. But I can tell you what I think is the reason for the problem that some of you mentioned above.

The reason that a lot of people in the UK go vote LibLabCon without ever wondering has a lot to do with your voting system. If you're living in a constituency that has been held by a party for over 50 years, it's very likely it'll go to that party again. There are constituencies who've had Tory MP for well over 150 years in a row, if I were to live in one of these places and would want to cast my vote on Labour, Ukip, Greens or another party, I might as well stay at home. My vote won't have the slightest effect on the balance of power in Westminster.

So the FPTP-system does indeed demotivate a large part of the electorate. Furthermore it encourages those who've been voting like sheep for the same party every single election. It becomes an habbit for these people to vote for 'their' party and they will start to identify with the party. These tribal politics make that there are quite some areas in the UK where your vote frankly doesn't matter.

And last but not least: The FPTP-system prevents 'new' parties and movements from breaking in into the electoral system. If around 10% of British voters would vote for a UKIP candidate, it would seem fair if 10% of MP's would be UKIP. But if all these voters live in constiuencies where another party came first, their votes don't count. This results an a sort of monopoly of power for the establishment.

I admire the UK, especially Wales of course, but your voting system paralyses your country in some sense.

Here in the Netherlands, one man's vote counts regardless where he lives. If there's a 5% support for a party, it will get 5% of the seats in our parliament.
That means that the ruling parties always have to keep in mind that their voters can easily switch to another party. I'm a member of the Dutch Labour party and even my party, fortunately, makes a pledge for stricter immigration laws, less sucking up to the EU and tougher sentences. That's because they know their voters can vote for Geert Wilders or the Liberals next time. It keeps them awake.

The only way you can get your politicians and voters to wake up is a radical change in your voting system.

Cheers.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 am

what politics is to me.......all politicians at the top of the partys are pigs with snouts in the troughs,only in it for what they can get out,,if someone gets into politics and genuinely want to change things for the working man,,ordinary person....then this politician will get nowhere,they will have a short and fruitless life in politics..... :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Angry Man wrote:Now that more powers are being moved to Wales from London there are also powers taken back from local authorities to the WAG.

You should relocate to the south-east or home counties where they all vote Tory for exactly the same reasons as you mention above.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 pm

"Police state" - from a Thatcherite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Im assuming my dear Angry Man that you have never lived in a real police state,if your interested in doing so,i can give you a list of countries that are the real deal for you to visit,and if you come,and it would be a big if,you would then realise how much Britain is a free country

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 pm

angelis49 wrote:Im assuming my dear Angry Man that you have never lived in a real police state,if your interested in doing so,i can give you a list of countries that are the real deal for you to visit,and if you come,and it would be a big if,you would then realise how much Britain is a free country

He doesn't want a reality check, he's happy in his own little world, posting on www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk and telling us about all the things he hates, including Cardiff City. What a joy he is.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:06 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Politics is crap. :ayatollah:

Is that supposed to be a moment of inspiration that everyone nods their heads at and starts clapping? Politics and government are the things that seperate us from all other species. Without it, we would still be huddled in caves, trying to work out how to make fire. Although judging by your comment I guess some of us still are.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:38 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Because I don't think that Wales is becoming a 'police state'? Nice one.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm

angelis49 wrote:Im assuming my dear Angry Man that you have never lived in a real police state,if your interested in doing so,i can give you a list of countries that are the real deal for you to visit,and if you come,and it would be a big if,you would then realise how much Britain is a free country

You see by 'assuming' your point is flawed because I have lived in a police state over 12 years ago. I lived in Veitnam and believe me it was far different to what it is these days somaybe you should ask a question before 'assuming'.

Please also note that I said 'Wales' and not 'Britian' because in Wales the WAG is having more powers from London and taking powers away from local authorities. In Wales there will be no other party in control of the WAG other than Labour and the main newspaper outlet are well known Labour supporters.

Hense my original question and have you lived in any police state during your time..? If so, let me know as I would love hear your experiences while there.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Angry Man wrote:

You see by 'assuming' your point is flawed because I have lived in a police state over 12 years ago. I lived in Veitnam and believe me it was far different to what it is these days somaybe you should ask a question before 'assuming'.

Please also note that I said 'Wales' and not 'Britian' because in Wales the WAG is having more powers from London and taking powers away from local authorities. In Wales there will be no other party in control of the WAG other than Labour and the main newspaper outlet are well known Labour supporters.

Hense my original question and have you lived in any police state during your time..? If so, let me know as I would love hear your experiences while there.

I'd love to hear yours, too. I'd also love you to spell it correctly, just once, Mr Educated - it's V I E T N A M.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

I'd love to hear yours, too. I'd also love you to spell it correctly, just once, Mr Educated - it's V I E T N A M.

oh look at you picking that one out, well done you

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

Well done, you for rabbiting on about all sorts and making a fool of yourself on a regular basis. Really, well done, you.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

Well done, you for rabbiting on about all sorts and making a fool of yourself on a regular basis. Really, well done, you.

if it wasn't for people like me making fools out of ourselves on a boring as f**k messageboard then people like you would have f**k all else to do when you should be looking for work.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 pm

My dear Nedd...i hope i haven't lost you a new playmate with my caustic comments regarding Angry Mans posting,it would appear my dear chap,that if we are to believe him when he says he spent some time in Vietnam,he may have certain knowledge of police states that you and i do not...anyway my dear chap always nice to read one of your postings,they are always lucid and to the point....i remain your obedient servant....Angelis

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

if it wasn't for people like me making fools out of ourselves on a boring as f**k messageboard then people like you would have f**k all else to do when you should be looking for work.

It's only boring because of you, Mr Educated. I can assure you it's fine without you. Off to work you go, there's a good Tory.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 pm

angelis49 wrote:My dear Nedd...i hope i haven't lost you a new playmate with my caustic comments regarding Angry Mans posting,it would appear my dear chap,that if we are to believe him when he says he spent some time in Vietnam,he may have certain knowledge of police states that you and i do not...anyway my dear chap always nice to read one of your postings,they are always lucid and to the point....i remain your obedient servant....Angelis

If he can't even spell the name of the place, on a regular basis, then I have no faith in his "experiences" of the country. Let's face it, he still loves Thatcher, so he appears to know f**k all about the UK, never mind anywhere else.

:D

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Jordy wrote:I don't live in Wales, so I don't think I can judge whether Wales is becoming a police state or not. But I can tell you what I think is the reason for the problem that some of you mentioned above.

The reason that a lot of people in the UK go vote LibLabCon without ever wondering has a lot to do with your voting system. If you're living in a constituency that has been held by a party for over 50 years, it's very likely it'll go to that party again. There are constituencies who've had Tory MP for well over 150 years in a row, if I were to live in one of these places and would want to cast my vote on Labour, Ukip, Greens or another party, I might as well stay at home. My vote won't have the slightest effect on the balance of power in Westminster.

So the FPTP-system does indeed demotivate a large part of the electorate. Furthermore it encourages those who've been voting like sheep for the same party every single election. It becomes an habbit for these people to vote for 'their' party and they will start to identify with the party. These tribal politics make that there are quite some areas in the UK where your vote frankly doesn't matter.

And last but not least: The FPTP-system prevents 'new' parties and movements from breaking in into the electoral system. If around 10% of British voters would vote for a UKIP candidate, it would seem fair if 10% of MP's would be UKIP. But if all these voters live in constiuencies where another party came first, their votes don't count. This results an a sort of monopoly of power for the establishment.

I admire the UK, especially Wales of course, but your voting system paralyses your country in some sense.

Here in the Netherlands, one man's vote counts regardless where he lives. If there's a 5% support for a party, it will get 5% of the seats in our parliament.
That means that the ruling parties always have to keep in mind that their voters can easily switch to another party. I'm a member of the Dutch Labour party and even my party, fortunately, makes a pledge for stricter immigration laws, less sucking up to the EU and tougher sentences. That's because they know their voters can vote for Geert Wilders or the Liberals next time. It keeps them awake.

The only way you can get your politicians and voters to wake up is a radical change in your voting system.

Cheers.

great post jordi.i agree PR would be fairer.as long as it is total PR not that mish mash crap they tried to serve up when we had a vote a year or so ago.one problem with preportional rep atm is that maybe an islamic party would sprout up and i doubt the powers that be would want that .they would be very scared of a big b.n.p vote too.the status quo suits the establishment atm.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm

You know you're doing badly if angelis is talking more sense than you...

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 pm

jtc wrote:great post jordi.i agree PR would be fairer.as long as it is total PR not that mish mash crap they tried to serve up when we had a vote a year or so ago.one problem with preportional rep atm is that maybe an islamic party would sprout up and i doubt the powers that be would want that .they would be very scared of a big b.n.p vote too.the status quo suits the establishment atm.

Thanks for your kind reply, jtc.

Well, I believe the choice you had last year was between fptp and av-plus. Both of them don't reflect the real opinions in the country and both give a distorted image of public opinion.

On your point of an Islamic party/BNP, I would like to compare Britain to continental Europe.

PR is, in a sense, quite a flexible form of democracy. Because of the threat new parties can pose to the establishment, the main parties are forced to actually listen to the sounds of society. In the UK, the three main parties have all ignored the issues that concerned a lot of Britons. Here in the Netherlands, the main parties couldn't ignore these issues (like immigration, the legal system etc.). And as long as the main parties handle the important issues, there is hardly an electoral chance for groups like the BNP.
I don't know about the possibility of a large Islamic movement in the UK. I haven't been to your country often enough to judge about it, but I do know that you have a lot of muslims in the UK. All I can say is: they haven't formed an electoral bloc in countries like the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany, but I can't quite estimate the chances of that happening in the UK, since the British muslims community seems way more assertive than the muslims on the continent. And worse: In the UK there is quite an ammount of politicians, like George Galloway, who profit from this large islamic voter base.

Leaves me just to say that the point you raised about this matter is actually quite good. I can only say what I think of it, but you're quite right in raising this point.

Cheers.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Jordy wrote:
jtc wrote:great post jordi.i agree PR would be fairer.as long as it is total PR not that mish mash crap they tried to serve up when we had a vote a year or so ago.one problem with preportional rep atm is that maybe an islamic party would sprout up and i doubt the powers that be would want that .they would be very scared of a big b.n.p vote too.the status quo suits the establishment atm.

Well, I believe the choice you had last year was between fptp and av-plus. Both of them don't reflect the real opinions in the country and both give a distorted image of public opinion.

On your point of an Islamic party/BNP, I would like to compare Britain to continental Europe.

PR is, in a sense, quite a flexible form of democracy. Because of the threat new parties can pose to the establishment, the main parties are forced to actually listen to the sounds of society. In the UK, the three main parties have all ignored the issues that concerned a lot of Britons. Here in the Netherlands, the main parties couldn't ignore these issues (like immigration, the legal system etc.). And as long as the main parties handle the important issues, there is hardly an electoral chance for groups like the BNP.
I don't know about the possibility of a large Islamic movement in the UK. I haven't been to your country often enough to judge about it, but I do know that you have a lot of muslims in the UK. All I can say is: they haven't formed an electoral bloc in countries like the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany, but I can't quite estimate the chances of that happening in the UK, since the British muslims community seems way more assertive than the muslims on the continent. And worse: In the UK there is quite an ammount of politicians, like George Galloway, who profit from this large islamic voter base.

Leaves me just to say that the point you raised about this matter is actually quite good. I can only say what I think of it, but you're quite right in raising this point.

Cheers.

:thumbup: i see your point about the big parties having to listen to the voters or they will leave them and vote for a smaller one .think you,re right .i,m a natural labour voter but i wouldn,t vote for them last general election because of the immigration issue.i wrote no confidence across my voting slip as i believe i should vote but couldn,t see who to vote for.will be voting labour next time if only to rid the nation of the bunch of chancers who are in power now.what,s was that fellows name who got shot?the gay fellow.kim?didn,t he wipe out the labour in rotterdam?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Jordy wrote:

Cheers.

:thumbup: i see your point about the big parties having to listen to the voters or they will leave them and vote for a smaller one .think you,re right .i,m a natural labour voter but i wouldn,t vote for them last general election because of the immigration issue.i wrote no confidence across my voting slip as i believe i should vote but couldn,t see who to vote for.will be voting labour next time if only to rid the nation of the bunch of chancers who are in power now.what,s was that fellows name who got shot?the gay fellow.kim?didn,t he wipe out the labour in rotterdam?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

Because I don't think that Wales is becoming a 'police state'? Nice one.

No, because of your agenda and blatant bias when it comes to politics that has spread like disease on this forum ever since you signed up. Your liberal do gooding attitude is draining. We won't all live in a world of beautiful flowers where people get on with one another and the mere thought of violence never crosses anyone's mind. :roll: