Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Malky regarding whitts '

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cardiff boss Malky Mackay makes promise over Peter Whittingham

Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay has said he will not allow midfielder Peter Whittingham to leave the club during the January transfer window.
The 28-year-old has played a key role in Cardiff's push for promotion to the Premier League.
Whittingham signed a new three-year contract with Cardiff in August despite interest from Premier League clubs.
"He's certainly not going to be going anywhere in January, that's a promise," Mackay said.
The former England Under-21 international has scored seven goals so far this season for Cardiff, the current Championship leaders.
Continue reading the main story

He's [Whittingham] someone myself and my staff are constantly pushing to be better and bette

Malky Mackay
Cardiff City manager
Earlier in the season Mackay described Whittingham as the " best player outside the Premier League."
Although Mackay says the interest in Whittingham is flattering the Scotsman is unwilling to sell the former Aston Villa midfielder.
"It's not a bad thing to have people wanting your players," Mackay told BBC Radio Wales Sport.
"There have been teams who have wanted him but they've not valued him at the value I feel merit the club looking at that.
"It was certainly something I was very strong in my views with our owners in terms of us building a team to challenge and our best players have to be here.
"And he [Whittingham] falls into that category. At the same time he's got to feel it's the right environment for him.
"He's got to feel he's wanted here and is part of something that's growing here.
"He's a fantastic lad and he's someone that I think will play at the highest level no matter what but I want it to be with me."
Whittingham provided the assists for Cardiff's two goals in their 2-1 win at Barnsley in the Championship last Saturday.
And manager Mackay says Whittingham's hard work on the training ground is paying dividends in Cardiff's push for promotion.
"It's something we felt, with a little bit of practice on the training ground, that pays off and it certainly has over the last few months," added Mackay.
"He's someone myself and my staff are constantly pushing to be better and better."
Whittingham spent a loan spell with Derby County in 2005.
And the midfielder is due to make his 250th start for Cardiff against The Rams in the Championship on Tuesday.
Derby County have lost just two of their last 14 home matches, a fact that hasn't escaped the Cardiff City manager.
"They've got players that can hurt you," Mackay said of Nigel Clough's side.
"We've got to make sure we stand up to that and try and come away with a victory."

Re: ' Malky regarding whitts '

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:49 pm

No brainer, :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We love u Whitts

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:58 pm

He does what he wants, that lad. :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay has 'promised' that midfielder Peter Whittingham will not be leaving the club in the January transfer window.

Whittingham signed a new three-year contract with the Championship leaders in August following interest from the Premier League, with Fulham reported to be among the clubs keen on the 28-year-old.

With the former Aston Villa youngster having scored seven goals already this season, speculation has claimed that top-flight clubs will again be in for Whittingham in the New Year.

However, Mackay is not worried about losing Whittingham and wants him to be part of the club's continued bid to reach the Premier League.

"Peter has signed new contracts since I've been at the club, in the summer signing a new long-term deal with Cardiff City, outlining his ambitions for this football club," said Mackay.

"It's nice when clubs take interest in your players, but he's certainly not going to be going anywhere in January, that's a promise.

"I was very strong in my views to our owners in terms of us building a team to challenge and for that our best players need to be here, of which Whitts falls into that category.

"But at the same time he's got to feel it's the right environment for him, to feel wanted and to be enjoying his football as a part of something that's growing. That was something I was keen to show him was certainly the case."

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:52 am

More info:
http://adf.ly/2038788/http://www.storingbooks.com

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 am

Doesn't he make this statement every window?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:05 pm

I have the highest regard for whittingham,but he will never be more that what he is at this level,simply because he drifts in and out of games to often for my liking,thats why i think the big premiere league clubs have not been willing to try and sign him....this is just my personnel view of course