Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mark Clattenburg cleared by FA as Chelsea's Mikel is charge

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:57 pm

And is sueing chelsea als micael charged by fa for miconduct, for threatening to break clattenberg

' Mark Clattenburg cleared by FA as Chelsea's Mikel is charged '

The Football Association has cleared referee Mark Clattenburg of using "inappropriate language" towards Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi.
But Mikel, 25, has been charged by the FA with misconduct following his involvement in the incident.
The Blues had claimed Clattenburg directed racial language at Mikel in their home defeat by Manchester United.

David Bond
BBC sports editor
"The FA's verdict of no case to answer against referee Mark Clattenburg was hardly a surprise.

"Ever since it emerged the alleged victim Jon Mikel Obi hadn't even heard the comment but was relying on second-hand evidence from Brazilian team-mate Ramires, Chelsea's case looked as wafer thin as their managerial contracts.

"Rightly, given how high the stakes were, the FA has taken its time to be sure.

"And while their reluctance to criticise Chelsea for bringing the case is designed to avoid other players from clamming up if they believe they have been racially abused, this is yet another damaging blow for a club which seems a magnet for trouble."

Clattenburg said it was "truly frightening" to have faced the prospect that his career might be over.
Following the match at Stamford Bridge on 28 October, the FA interviewed Clattenburg, Mikel and several other Blues players before reaching its decision to clear the official and charge the Nigerian.
"It is alleged that in or around the match officials' changing room at the end of the fixture, Mikel used threatening and/or abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour," an FA statement read.
Mikel has until Friday, 30 November to respond. Chelsea have indicated he will not deny the charge but will request a hearing to "explain the mitigating circumstances".
The evidence for Chelsea's allegation towards Clattenburg came from their midfielder Ramires who, when interviewed, explained that his instinctive reaction was to seek confirmation from Mikel as to what the referee said.
Mikel, who was being spoken to by Clattenburg, was much closer than Ramires and did not hear what it is suggested was said to him.
The two assistant referees and the fourth official revealed they did not hear any of the comments Clattenburg was accused of making, despite being linked up to the referee via microphones.
An FA statement also said the complaint by Mikel's team-mate Ramires was "made in good faith".
Clattenburg timeline
13 Nov: Police drop Clattenburg inquiry
12 Nov: Clattenburg to miss third week
5 Nov: Clattenburg misses second weekend
3 Nov: Ref row not to blame - Di Matteo
31 Oct: Chelsea lodge Clattenburg protest
31 Oct: Ref dialogue 'should be audible'
29 Oct: Chelsea make Clattenburg claim
29 Oct: Ref Clattenburg 'is not a racist'
28 Oct: Officials ruined game - Di Matteo
28 Oct: Chelsea 2-3 Man Utd
Clattenburg, 37, has always maintained his innocence and the Metropolitan Police dropped its own inquiry earlier this month.
He missed four weekends of Premier League matches while the FA investigated Chelsea's complaint.
"I am looking forward to putting this behind me and concentrating on refereeing in the Premier League and other competitions," said Clattenburg.
"The messages of encouragement from those inside and outside of the game have helped me through the most stressful time of my professional life.
"To know you were innocent but there was the opportunity for it to wreck your career was truly frightening.
"Racism has no place in football and this experience should not discourage those to speak out if they genuinely believe they are a victim of abuse.
"However, there are processes that should be adhered to in order that any investigation can be carried out in a manner that is fair for all parties involved.
"I know first hand the ramifications of allegations of this nature being placed into the public domain ahead of a formal process and investigation. I hope no referee has to go through this in the future."

What has happened over the last few weeks should not overshadow the fact the on-pitch relationship between match officials, players and managers is the best we've ever known it

Mark Clattenburg
Read Clattenburg's statement in full here
Responding to the announcement, a Chelsea statement said: "Chelsea Football Club accepts the Football Association's decision regarding Mark Clattenburg and welcomes the fact that the FA recognises the club and players were correct in reporting the matter.
"The club accepts the case is now concluded and notes the FA states the allegation was made in good faith.
"Chelsea FC has a duty of care, as do all employers, to act responsibly when such allegations are reported by employees.
"We did not take the decision to lodge a formal complaint with the FA lightly and followed the correct processes and protocols throughout."
Referees' union Prospect, on behalf of Clattenburg, are asking Chelsea for a full apology and compensation.
Police dropped an investigation into the alleged comments towards Chelsea's Mikel and Juan Mata in the Premier League match at Stamford Bridge last month.
Chelsea initially suggested Spanish midfielder Mata had also been verbally abused by Clattenburg, before deciding there was insufficient evidence to support these claims.

Re: clattenberg cleared

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Not a surprise he has been cleared, Chelsea are a disgrace.

Can Clattenberg now ref chelsea again without his decidions being questioned, surely he must hold some resentment towards them and Mikel?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Igovernor wrote:And is sueing chelsea als micael charged by fa for miconduct, for threatening to break clattenbergs legs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20420934

i hope he does sue them.someone is going to have to take a stand .there is a culture in the uk now of guilty till proven innocent.the tactic of smear enough crap on someone and they will eventually end up stinking of it is a disgrace.personally i was hoping john terry would sue the f.a for loss of earnings and character assasination .the bloke was stripped of the england captincy BEFORE his court case :? the fact he was cleared in a british court meant nothing to the f.a

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 pm

jtc wrote:
Igovernor wrote:And is sueing chelsea als micael charged by fa for miconduct, for threatening to break clattenbergs legs

i hope he does sue them.someone is going to have to take a stand .there is a culture in the uk now of guilty till proven innocent.the tactic of smear enough crap on someone and they will eventually end up stinking of it is a disgrace.personally i was hoping john terry would sue the f.a for loss of earnings and character assasination .the bloke was stripped of the england captincy BEFORE his court case :? the fact he was cleared in a british court meant nothing to the f.a

also it will stop other players/clubs from doing same, unless they have irrafutable proof!!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:59 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
jtc wrote:

also it will stop other players/clubs from doing same, unless they have irrafutable proof!!

spot on al.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Bloody hell Swansealad has come back under a new user name :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Paul i told you we would realise straight away :D

Re: Mark Clattenburg cleared by FA as Chelsea's Mikel is cha

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Finally Justice prevails. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:55 pm

For football im really glad to see its all clear and finished :ayatollah:

But what have Chelsea done wrong? Supported their players? Is that wrong nowadays?

To call Chelsea a disgrace over supporting their players is a little bit wrong..

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Following today's decision by the FA, all referees officiating Chelsea matches will now carry 3 cards:

1. A Red Card for actions resulting in a player to be asked to leave the field of play.

2. A Yellow Card for actions that require a player to be given a warning.

3. A Race Card to be issued to the lying cheating twats for using despicable racist tactics when they can't get their own way. Orrible Cunts.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Pinster25 wrote:For football im really glad to see its all clear and finished :ayatollah:

But what have Chelsea done wrong? Supported their players? Is that wrong nowadays?

To call Chelsea a disgrace over supporting their players is a little bit wrong..

there was no evidence what so ever.chelsea pay lawyers very very well i would imagine.perhaps next time they will speak to one before going public.a good lawyer would have told them of liable implications.mark clattenburg gets a month of grief,his rep tarnished all over an over the top reaction to something that wasn,t there in the first place :shock: .not on in my book

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 pm

I've always hated Man Utd and Leeds and can now add Chelsea - horrible club :twisted:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Justice has not been done.
Ramires should now face criminal charges for making allegations which could have finished a man's career. Its all very well punishing people who make racist remarks but people who make allegations which cannot be substaniated should be prosecuted.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:18 pm

spike ferndale wrote:Justice has not been done.
Ramires should now face criminal charges for making allegations which could have finished a man's career. Its all very well punishing people who make racist remarks but people who make allegations which cannot be substaniated should be prosecuted.

True Spike, very true.

Also I wonder what the new black lawyers association will announce next :lol:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:27 pm

It would be very interesting to know what the Association of Black Lawyers make of Ramires remarks. Especially in the light that Clattenburg was wired up and all his comments during the match could be heard by the other officials. I am all for stamping out racism but black players making allegations like this certainly doesn't help their cause.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:33 pm

spike ferndale wrote:It would be very interesting to know what the Association of Black Lawyers make of Ramires remarks. Especially in the light that Clattenburg was wired up and all his comments during the match could be heard by the other officials. I am all for stamping out racism but black players making allegations like this certainly doesn't help their cause.

Them pricks will just accuse the officials of closing ranks and the fa of sweeping it under the carpet.

The response from Chelsea speaks volumes for me.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:41 pm

he'll never be able to ref a Chelsea game again. Also im sure he a true professional, any decisons he makes in a game that game that can effect Chelsea's standing would be questioned...ridiculous but thats what'll happen, people will jump on it.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:53 pm

His reputation has been spoilt by their pathetic and disgraceful behaviour.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:38 am

ramiries (f**k knows how to spell his name) said he heard clattenburg say "shut it you monkey"

now I don't believe it but its 2 ways to look at it,

1- ref said it but the assistant refs who hear everything are ignoring it and are afraid to admit it incase it causes a massive outbreak in the game

or

2- it all bullshit and it was just the players trying to get the ref who had a poor game introuble

obviously now he has been cleared and the matter is fully put to bed and no repeat happens again.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:19 am

pembroke allan wrote:
jtc wrote:

Agree with you Allan :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ea-1451633