Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Got to agree with this.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Paul Abbandonato: Cardiff City picking Paul Quinn ahead of Adam Matthews 'utterly crazy'

Cardiff City picking Paul Quinn ahead of Adam Matthews 'utterly crazy'

by Pauk AbbandonatoNov 8 2012

Adam Matthews keeps Lionel Messi under wraps
Anyone see Wales and former Cardiff City youngster Adam Matthews starring for Celtic against Barcelona on Wednesday night?

For those who didn’t, let me enlighten you.

Barcelona lost the Champions League clash 2-1, but had 84 per cent of the possession and put the Celtic back four under siege.

Picked at left-back, when he is more naturally suited to the right hand side, Matthews first found himself locked in combat with Barca’s tricky and nippy Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez. He didn’t give him a kick.

Next, Spanish ace Pedro switched flanks to try to get some joy out of Matthews. He, too, didn’t get a kick.

While this was going on, Brazilian great Dani Alves, the world’s finest overlapping full-back, was doubling up on young Matthews by spending almost the entire 90 minutes as a right-winger. He also got little joy from the young Welshman.

Finally, Lionel Messi switched to Barcelona’s right-hand side. It would be wrong to say he didn’t get a look-in because at one point the world’s best footballer got past Matthews... but that was the only occasion.

Even Messi, notwithstanding his injury-time goal, was by and large blotted out by Matthews’ defensive excellence.

Why do I make these points? Because, to this day, Dave Jones’ treatment of this precocious talent while he was with the Bluebirds rankles with me.

I said at the time it was utterly crazy for Jones to pick Paul Quinn ahead of Matthews in the team, when the Bluebirds were pushing for promotion in the 2010-11 season.

I say it again. Paul Quinn? Come on, we’re hardly talking Carlos Alberto here.

Yet good old Quinn it was who consistently got the nod, Matthews unceremoniously axed by Jones after he was blamed by the former Bluebirds manager for a 2-0 loss at Ipswich.

What should have happened, in my view, was Jones putting his arm around such a fine young talent, telling him to learn from any errors and to come back better and stronger in the next game and beyond.

Instead, Matthews found himself ostracised, picked for just a mere handful of matches afterwards, his Cardiff City career pretty much over.

While the misfiring Bluebirds desperately needed Matthews’ defensive prowess, athleticism, speed and footballing ability on the overlap in the closing months of the season, Jones decided Quinn was a better bet. Absolutely crazy, in my eyes.

In banishing Matthews to the sidelines, the Bluebirds also created a situation where he was in effect permitted to go for nothing.

Again, absolutely crazy, this time from a business point of view. Particularly when you consider Matthews was being linked in the media with some of the biggest clubs in the land, including Manchester United and Arsenal, and being talked of in some quarters as a £5m footballer.

He’s certainly worth that sum today, if not more, judging by the manner in which he has played at the highest level for club and country this season.

Re: Got to agree with this.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Still annoys me the way the lad was treated by Dave Jones. :x

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:00 pm

nobber wrote:Paul Abbandonato: Cardiff City picking Paul Quinn ahead of Adam Matthews 'utterly crazy'

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2Bf9Z6tLP

Nobbie, DJ was a total disgrace in how he treated Matthews.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
nobber wrote:Paul Abbandonato: Cardiff City picking Paul Quinn ahead of Adam Matthews 'utterly crazy'

I was staggered the club allowed him to get away with his treatment of Matthews. I'm convinced there were some personal differences between DJ and Matthews or between DJ and Matthews' father (also his agent, I gather).

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I was staggered the club allowed him to get away with his treatment of Matthews. I'm convinced there were some personal differences between DJ and Matthews or between DJ and Matthews' father (also his agent, I gather).

Nedd, DJ would fall out with players and make it personal, I know that for a fact, plenty of Cardiff players this happened to.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Nedd, DJ would fall out with players and make it personal, I know that for a fact, plenty of Cardiff players this happened to.

Which is what made him so unpopular with the fans - as well as slagging us off - he embarrassed himself and the club with his lack of professionalism at times.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:20 pm

I don't think the article gives a fair reflection. Matthews was very young and very naive when he was with us and most postlude average but with big potential.

DJ fell out with Quinn and Matthews so I don't think that effected DJ's choice on those two. Quinn was simply bigger, stronger and better defensively.

Shame Matthews isn't still with us though as I think MM would have liked him.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 pm

I felt Quinn played well during that period, even scored a goal.

However the treatment of Matthews was not DJs best man management moment. The way Adam played against Messi and co I just wonder if DJ has regretts.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm

to be honest its a disgrace the way dave jones treated all the youngsters we had, thats why even though prob the most successful manager we have ever had in modern times,that and his attitude with the press mean his stint as manager he wont get the credit and warm welcome that he probably deserves.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:58 pm

robjohn wrote:to be honest its a disgrace the way dave jones treated all the youngsters we had, thats why even though prob the most successful manager we have ever had in modern times,that and his attitude with the press mean his stint as manager he wont get the credit and warm welcome that he probably deserves.

Yep, that's the way it is with me.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Classic Jones.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Matthews was a bit naive defensively at the time but was only going to get better by playing. I always felt that DJ missed a trick in not playing Adam on right hand side of midfield on a few occasions which would have built his confidence.

Shit man management by DJ

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Good article. Paul Quim. Total shite. He used to run like a penguin and with as much pace. Typical shit from Mr Moans.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis Malky has treated some players quite badly too I feel. Dekel Keinan and Earnie to name but two.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 pm

I looked up to Matthews.

Dave Jones ruined it for him here, end of.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 am

Load of bollocks. Why didnt he write that article after Wales played Serbia?

Quinn was better than Matthews

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 am

I thought Jones blackballed Quinn for a while too.