Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EDDIE MAY WOULD TURN IN HIS GRAVE

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am

I been watching City for over 30 years now. We've had Phil Neal, Russell Osman, Terry Yorath
all turned out to be wastes of space. We've had Eddie May, John Cleese, Len Ashurst, Dave Jones... all had success of a sort
here.

But Imagine Eddie May as manager nowadays. He'd get absolutely coated on here. We
couldnt get past the FA Cup 1st round to save our lives, missed out on promotion, helped
get us relegated. NO WAY would Eddie May be a 'legend' nowadays. People would have wished
ill on the poor feller as soon as we struggled for a few games.

Thats why I have NO respect for a lot of our 'new age' fans and posters.

"Supporting" a Club is all about being there when things aint so good. Ask Annis. He
knows the bad times

But we were all one, the big Cardiff City family.
We used to laugh at Leo The Lampost, he was awful at times, but a legend. Nowadays, he
would be hounded until his confidence was shot. He would be insulted, called a c**t.

Opinions? we all have them. But next time you all jump straight down players throats after
a defeat, or call for the managers head after TWO :lol: :lol: Have a think eh?

Are you a "supporter" or just a patron

Do you love the Club. Full stop. Or do you only love Cardiff City when they are winning!

Malky Mackay?

He might well turn into one of the top managers in the game. He certainly does all the
groundwork. His preparation is second to none. right now he's struggling. Obviously.
He might NOT become a great manager. But he's trying his best

Many of you aren't trying very hard to support him are you, or the team?

I'll get slated for this post. But not by the kind of Cardiff City supporters i grew up with.

Re: EDDIE MAY WOULD TURN IN HIS GRAVE

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27 am

Spot on!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:32 am

I've been a City fan for 36 years. I felt down yesterday but today's another day. I'm just not looking forward to Saturday, because I've got to get past all the rugger buggers on the train, not because I don't fancy the football.

The difference between then and now, is that we didn't have all this social media, so we would've just kept it to ourselves, or between a few close mates.

I don't know what went wrong on Tuesday night, I couldn't even recognise that team from the one I'd been watching before that. A really bad night for them, best forgotten and they'll all break their backs to beat Hull on Saturday, no doubt.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 am

taffyapple wrote:I been watching City for over 30 years now. We've had Phil Neal, Russell Osman, Terry Yorath
all turned out to be wastes of space. We've had Eddie May, John Cleese, Len Ashurst, Dave Jones... all had success of a sort
here.

But Imagine Eddie May as manager nowadays. He'd get absolutely coated on here. We
couldnt get past the FA Cup 1st round to save our lives, missed out on promotion, helped
get us relegated. NO WAY would Eddie May be a 'legend' nowadays. People would have wished
ill on the poor feller as soon as we struggled for a few games.

Thats why I have NO respect for a lot of our 'new age' fans and posters.

"Supporting" a Club is all about being there when things aint so good. Ask Annis. He
knows the bad times

But we were all one, the big Cardiff City family.
We used to laugh at Leo The Lampost, he was awful at times, but a legend. Nowadays, he
would be hounded until his confidence was shot. He would be insulted, called a c**t.

Opinions? we all have them. But next time you all jump straight down players throats after
a defeat, or call for the managers head after TWO :lol: :lol: Have a think eh?

Are you a "supporter" or just a patron

Do you love the Club. Full stop. Or do you only love Cardiff City when they are winning!

Malky Mackay?

He might well turn into one of the top managers in the game. He certainly does all the
groundwork. His preparation is second to none. right now he's struggling. Obviously.
He might NOT become a great manager. But he's trying his best

Many of you aren't trying very hard to support him are you, or the team?

I'll get slated for this post. But not by the kind of Cardiff City supporters i grew up with.

It happened back then to regarding players being targeted but i agree some want malky to fail

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 pm

No real City fan would want Malky to fail. After all, if he fails, then so doe's our club.

What we do expect is for Malky to "fix" the problems permanently,,,not simply "forget" & move on to the next game.

Problems need solving, & fast. There's no sentiment in business!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:06 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:No real City fan would want Malky to fail. After all, if he fails, then so doe's our club.

What we do expect is for Malky to "fix" the problems permanently,,,not simply "forget" & move on to the next game.

I dont want Malky to fail but he is starting to do that all on his own. He needs to completely reassess his Tactics and selections away from home. And dare i say it the possibility of dropping his love child now and again.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Spot on, well said Mr Apple.

People need to get a grasp of reality sometimes. Not interested in the premier league, but the club need to get there for financial reasons.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Spot on! I hate this British attitude. And the Welsh are the best at it.

We were a few hours from going under, we've been bottom of every league going, we've had to sell our best players are rock bottom prices....Now we are 3rd in the league. Used to dream of these days, as did every one else! So why do some now think they are nightmares??!!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Spot on.

Watched City since late '70's. Remember awful times and good times. Relegation, promotion, cold wet Tuesday nights stood under a floodlight freezing your bollocks off sipping shit tea in my shit Kays catalogue Campari jacket with cold wet feet stood in my shit trainers. Going into school and being miserable for the week but still having banter. Ups and downs. Will always be the same. You support your team through thick/thin/colour changes/administration/great performance/shit performance/rain/shine for life, no matter what.

Nedd's right, ubiquitous social communications on any device means that people will often write stuff that they would never say face to face, especially on an anonymous messageboard like this. I'm all for constructive criticism of anything but.....we are 3rd with a good squad and a good manager, these are good times. Football fans often have short memories and I can't believe some of the knee-jerk and just plain negative stuff that on here sometimes. After years of knocking I want to see City in the premiership/top flight which was just a distant dream as a kid, a long time ago. There's no sentiment in business but there's no success without some failure either. Its how we learn. I've met Malky and he is very "businesslike" in his managerial style, a leader and with the mindset and tools that a modern manager needs. I believe he is the right guy and we have a great squad (OK, a couple of additions but that will happen too).

Get behind the boys lads - good times and bad. That's support.

And these stay-aways can just stay-away. Martyrism FFS. f*cking unthinkable to a vintage Cardiff fan.

And while I'm on my soapbox and the polar opposite of where we are - Barry Town FC. Its despicable whats going on there and the supporters are fighting for the clubs existence and are doing a fantastic job. That's support.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Positive post alert!!! :lol: Agree with every word, all this calling for peoples heads etc, theres a long way to go yet ffs :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Eddie may worked under a different set of circumstances.He done a great job with very little money as well as having a great deal of passion for our football club and its fans (one reason DJ never got any credit).
By the way the big fella was cremated.
R.I.P.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:02 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:No real City fan would want Malky to fail. After all, if he fails, then so doe's our club.

So football is a business to us humble fans now?

The Cardiff City I grew up loving is no more

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:57 pm

All a bunch of miserable glory seeking fu**ers now days most are kids and new genuration championship only supporters.

the fact we have messed up so many times is probably because of the fans it causes tension within the side, and constant moaning and jeering, and forum slates. players will lose A confidence. B. Respect and C. nerves

the one year though against blackpool we we're robbed of our spot, premature player celebrations did not help the cause

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

I dont want Malky to fail but he is starting to do that all on his own. He needs to completely reassess his Tactics and selections away from home. And dare i say it the possibility of dropping his love child now and again.

There have been nothing wrong with his tactics for the last 2 games, we've just lost the games, simple as that! You're not going to win every game!

He's played 4-4-2 like we've been calling for, and it hasn't worked. We just gotta get on with it. The only thing i never would have done is drop Kev, he's our best defender.

As for Cowie, he's been starting because he's been playing well. Malky doesn't play him every game, he wasn't even in the team at the start of the season but lately he has been on merit. I've seen several posts on here after the home games praising his performances.

I have no doubt Gunnarsson will deservedly come in for Cowie on Saturday though.

:ayatollah:

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I would agree with you but to be honest since the rebrand my expectations have gone through the roof. I couldn't give a rats arse about going up but since my club has been turned into franchsie FC its a must. :old:

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:I would agree with you but to be honest since the rebrand my expectations have gone through the roof. I couldn't give a rats arse about going up but since my club has been turned into franchsie FC its a must. :old:

My opinion...

The support was getting like this before the branding. its just getting worse

They make me cringe

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 am

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

There have been nothing wrong with his tactics for the last 2 games, we've just lost the games, simple as that! You're not going to win every game!

He's played 4-4-2 like we've been calling for, and it hasn't worked. We just gotta get on with it. The only thing i never would have done is drop Kev, he's our best defender.

As for Cowie, he's been starting because he's been playing well. Malky doesn't play him every game, he wasn't even in the team at the start of the season but lately he has been on merit. I've seen several posts on here after the home games praising his performances.

I have no doubt Gunnarsson will deservedly come in for Cowie on Saturday though.

:ayatollah:

My gripe has not been the 5-4-1 it's the personnel he has been using. And why he plays Whitts where he is ineffective. Whatever our playing formation the team he picks is to negative. So to keep saying he played 4-4-2 like I wanted is Bollocks Chief.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 am

taffyapple wrote:

So football is a business to us humble fans now?

The Cardiff City I grew up loving is no more

I was referring to the personnel side of things, team selection.

Having said that, football is also a massive financial business, both on & off the pitch. That's a fact, & it always has been.

Money to be made [or lost] in our club. I guess that's why VT owns 49%, appointed MM as manager & we now play in red.

You tell me,,,,i could be wrong. :?

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Why do people have to feel to look at the past?! As a football club you want every sucess and looking to the future

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Don't agree I am afraid.

Chris Pike, Rhys Weston, Josh Low to name but three were hounded before and during the time of Leo. We have always had our favourites and the others get stick.

It's nothing to do with new fans I am afraid.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:I've been a City fan for 36 years. I felt down yesterday but today's another day. I'm just not looking forward to Saturday, because I've got to get past all the rugger buggers on the train, not because I don't fancy the football.

The difference between then and now, is that we didn't have all this social media, so we would've just kept it to ourselves, or between a few close mates.

I don't know what went wrong on Tuesday night, I couldn't even recognise that team from the one I'd been watching before that. A really bad night for them, best forgotten and they'll all break their backs to beat Hull on Saturday, no doubt.

This hits the nail firmly on the head for me for explaining the difference with football fans these days. Back in the Eddie May era, fans used to turn up and get behind the team, no matter what. These days because of social media, fans read one anothers posts and prefer to go along with the "leaders" on internet forums instead of having the backbone to stand up for what they really believe in. If someone sees a so called fan slagging off Malky on here, then this fan feels more comfortable joining in to try and fit in. Unfortunately, that's fans for you, more comfortable following the crowd to fit in and look cool instead of saying what they really think and doing what they really believe in.