Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What has changed from last season??!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:00 pm

This time last season, despite not having the most talented group of players (with the exception of Whitts) we were probably the most consistent and hardest to beat teams in the league. I remember watching us earning the right to play (basically running teams into submission). This of course came at cost as the season went on and our players were totally spent in January!

This season we have a far better squad, with far more quality, but the ridiculously high work rate just doesn't seem the same. If this years quality was matched with last years mental toughness and will to win I honestly believe we'd be unstoppable.

The question I'm asking is what is the difference or why the difference?

Part of me thinks losing the much maligned kenny miller may be the problem. I'm not criticising helguson at all but there is no way that he gets through the amount of work that kenny did. I don't think helguson is capable of playing on his own up top due to his lack of mobility. Miller wasn't the best finisher I have ever seen but his movement and intelligence in creating holes for other players was superb. I think the lack of a striker who can play alone up top is severely damaging us!

We cant underestimate how much losing maynard is damaging us. The lad is pure quality at this level and he showed at bristol that he was capable of being the lone striker.
If Malky can find a good replacement for Nicky it will allow us to play a proper 4-5-1 where we are not just passive but also create and are a threat to the opposition.

To be honest not many names spring to mind as i'm writing this, maybe connor wickham but i do wonder why no other clubs have shown any interest in him since he's been frozen out at sunderland. The only other name that truly grabs me is Danny Graham! If Laudrup truly has replacements lined up for him i 100% think that malky will break the bank for him in january. In the meantime i think playing joe mason alone up top in away games is our best alternative. (he did alright last season when kenny was injured). This would allow to play 5 in midfield and prevent us being overrun at will in away games, we'd also have more of a threat than last year with noone and frei/kimbo out wide. :ayatollah:

Re: What has changed from last season??!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm

You're spot on about Miller. Helguson is the problem away from home.