Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

11 City players in their own penalty area......

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 am

.....and yet one of the Charlton players manages to head a goal in completely unchallenged!

What's that all about?

It's ridiculous that we always have everyone back defending corners anyway because if the ball does get cleared not only do we have nobody upfield to lead a break it just comes straight back into the box from whichever opposition player collects the clearance.

Are we playing this so-called "zonal" marking in defence? If so we need to change it sharpish. For three of their goals last night it looked like our defence had no idea who was meant to be marking who and for their fourth and fifth goals (as well as the second) here was nobody anywhere near the goalscorer.

Basic stuff really.

Re: 11 City players in their own penalty area......

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Maybe you should send your C.V in

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:11 pm

eighty_8 wrote:Maybe you should send your C.V in

Maybe I will.... :lol:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:16 pm

It's been a common talking point this season with people where I sit in the stadium, the 11 man defence. Who do we pass it to for a counter attack? D'oh! Needs sorting, amongst other things.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:It's been a common talking point this season with people where I sit in the stadium, the 11 man defence. Who do we pass it to for a counter attack? D'oh! Needs sorting, amongst other things.

Brought it up on here a few times, very negative and invites pressure and when you concede goals as mentioned by OP it's just embarrassing!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Valley Lad wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:It's been a common talking point this season with people where I sit in the stadium, the 11 man defence. Who do we pass it to for a counter attack? D'oh! Needs sorting, amongst other things.

Brought it up on here a few times, very negative and invites pressure and when you concede goals as mentioned by OP it's just embarrassing!

Yep, schoolboy stuff. All crowding around the ball and no organisation, no leader.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Totally agree - in the last few games at home it's been the same - all in the area and no one to clear the ball upfield to. All the fans near me say the same - why doesn't Malky see it?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Caerblue54 wrote:Totally agree - in the last few games at home it's been the same - all in the area and no one to clear the ball upfield to. All the fans near me say the same - why doesn't Malky see it?

I have lost count how many times i have brought this up :oops:

We even had all 11 players defending corners when Watford were dow to 9 men :?:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Caerblue54 wrote:Totally agree - in the last few games at home it's been the same - all in the area and no one to clear the ball upfield to. All the fans near me say the same - why doesn't Malky see it?

I have lost count how many times i have brought this up :oops:

We even had all 11 players defending corners when Watford were dow to 9 men :?:

apparently lots teams do it now was on sky sports other night! we talk about it every home game, fans see it so why doesnt malkie see it???

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 am

Most clubs now adopt this tactic ,I rember rafa benitez was questioned on it when he was at liverpool on sky sports before and he said that statistics show that then amount of times you'l score with one man on the half way line is under on the counter was under 2% and by having the player back defending increases the chance of defending the corner successfully

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 am

gknighty89 wrote:Most clubs now adopt this tactic ,I rember rafa benitez was questioned on it when he was at liverpool on sky sports before and he said that statistics show that then amount of times you'l score with one man on the half way line is under on the counter was under 2% and by having the player back defending increases the chance of defending the corner successfully

Can't believe its more popular than man for man marking and having an option for a swift counter. :o