Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Individual errors are ‘killing’ us, says Cardiff boss Mackay

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:28 am

Individual errors are ‘killing’ us, says Cardiff boss Mackay

MALKY Mackay blamed “individual howlers” as Cardiff City crashed out of the Championship’s automatic promotion positions.

City suffered a third successive away defeat as Charlton’s home turned into The Valley of tears for the Bluebirds.

Lowly Charlton had scored only five goals in seven home games this season – but they equalled that tally with an incredible 5-4 victory, City scoring twice in injury time to put some gloss on the scoreline. Mackay’s men have now conceded 10 goals in three successive away defeats and, having led 2-0 inside 24 minutes last night, the Scot said: “Individual howlers are killing us. Four of the goals we conceded could have been avoided.

“Five minutes before half-time David Marshall dropped a ball he would usually catch easily.

“For their second we did not mark properly and Johnnie Jackson will not score an easier goal in his life.

“Then ‘Marsh’ lost a goal from 60 yards and I will be amazed if I see that again from him.”

Heidar Helguson and Joe Mason had fired City into a 2-0 lead and there looked only one winner at the point. But Charlton were level by half-time and Mackay reflected: “We started really well and the first half-an-hour was as good as we have played all season. At half-time, with the score at 2-2, we had to make sure we stayed calm, but you can’t legislate for individual mistakes like those we saw. Now we have to regain the consistency we have had for most of this season and cut out those errors.”

Crystal Palace now head the Championship with Ian Holloway’s first game in charge ending in a 5-0 victory over Ipswich, while Middlesbrough are second after a goalless draw at Nottingham Forest.

Re: Individual errors are ‘killing’ us, says Cardiff boss Ma

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:30 am

It's the same old excuses after every away game though!!!!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 am

Bustertjd wrote:It's the same old excuses after every away game though!!!!

Here here nothing would be his fault would it :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 am

Like I said in the other thread I made, Malky is still to blame - he is responsible for making sure players eradicate individual errors.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 am

BluebirdJoe wrote:Like I said in the other thread I made, Malky is still to blame - he is responsible for making sure players eradicate individual errors.

Malky was certainly responsible for sticking too rigidly to his 4-5-1 formation for too long, but he played 4-4-2 against Bolton and Charlton, when we were a bit unlucky against Bolton, but when you score 4 goals at home or away, you should pick up the 3 points all day long!

Malky said that 4 goals could have been avoided and I'll go one step further, as I believe that all 5 could have been avoided!

2 howlers from Marshall and a total lack of organisation in the middle of the defence for the other 3 goals, which all came from unmarked opponents!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 am

Exactly - Malky should be making sure that this stuff isn't happening, not just the players (they are obviously still to blame).

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 am

Yea ALL 5 of them MM :evil: :evil: :evil:

Did this happen away under DJ ???

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 am

BluebirdJoe wrote:Exactly - Malky should be making sure that this stuff isn't happening, not just the players (they are obviously still to blame).

He can only put the players out on the pitch, he can't play for them and too many mistakes have come from experienced players in too many games so far this season!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 am

Overthemoon wrote:
BluebirdJoe wrote:Exactly - Malky should be making sure that this stuff isn't happening, not just the players (they are obviously still to blame).

He can only put the players out on the pitch, he can't play for them and too many mistakes have come from experienced players in too many games so far this season!

So why is he still putting them on the pitch?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 am

NIBluebird wrote:Yea ALL 5 of them MM :evil: :evil: :evil:

Did this happen away under DJ ???

yep Preston in 08 we lost 6-0, the followin year we lost 5-1 to newcastle

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 am

Overthemoon wrote:
BluebirdJoe wrote:Like I said in the other thread I made, Malky is still to blame - he is responsible for making sure players eradicate individual errors.

Malky was certainly responsible for sticking too rigidly to his 4-5-1 formation for too long, but he played 4-4-2 against Bolton and Charlton, when we were a bit unlucky against Bolton, but when you score 4 goals at home or away, you should pick up the 3 points all day long!

Malky said that 4 goals could have been avoided and I'll go one step further, as I believe that all 5 could have been avoided!

2 howlers from Marshall and a total lack of organisation in the middle of the defence for the other 3 goals, which all came from unmarked opponents!

we didnt play 442 against either , both games were 451 with mason playing a deep role which doesnt suit him . at home against burnley mason and heidur played on the shoulder of the last defeders which enabled them to make runs in behind the defence and get down the channels whaen needed . in his current psosition he is getting snuffed out of the game and thats down to the managers tactics and the way he asks them to set up .

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 am

The biggest ' individual howler' is Malkys failure to strengthen the defence in the transfer market , it has long been evident that we are far too weak both at full-back and using any combination of BT/MH/ MC at centre- back -last night was ( another) defensive shambles and major surgery is required NOW when it should have been carried out pre-season !

On another front does anyone on here have an idea what the situation is with both Kim & Velikonja ? The former was regarded as the Messiah when he signed & Malky stated ' we've had our eye on him for sometime' when commenting on EV !

After the shit of the summer it's time for TanBrand to act and get rid of Malky before our season lurches into mid-table obscurity !

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 am

Biggest problem as I see it is a completely powder-puff midfield. Mutch makes hell of a f***ing difference. He's out injured, it happens, but what i don't understand is two absolutely direct replacements for him Gunnarsson and Kiss are sitting on their arses on the bench. Whitts is a luxury sitting in the middle when the other team show some attacking intent which strangely enough most home teams do. We possibly get away with it at home because we're on the front foot more often than not. Away from home I would never play a 4 man midlield with Whitts as one of the two central midfielders. That's only my opinion. I retired from coaching last season and for the record in my last three or four seasons I became a complete convert to 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 (its basically the same set up but changes when you have/ don't have possession). Again my opinion but I think we have the players to carry this system off it's a matter of getting the right players on the pitch and for me that's not happening right now.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:24 am

not even an apology

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 am

Overthemoon wrote:

Malky said that 4 goals could have been avoided and I'll go one step further,
as I believe that all 5 could have been avoided!

Worst quote in history and you want to better it....shocking :oops:

If that had gone in it would have been a goal springs to mind................clueless fans

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 pm

novice wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

Malky said that 4 goals could have been avoided and I'll go one step further,
as I believe that all 5 could have been avoided!

Worst quote in history and you want to better it....shocking :oops:

If that had gone in it would have been a goal springs to mind................clueless fans

So which goals were racing certainties then and which goals do you feel were always destined to go in? :?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 pm

change the record malky your the manager sort it out or get out to many excuses :? :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Surprise surprise all individual errors again execpt for himself, why not take responsibility for once? This is where my in malky i trust died at this happend after piss poor after piss poor after piss poor performances after xmas!!! With the excepetion of palace blackburn and hard battle v liverpool all rest sucked! Changed everything after xmas to poxy defend defend defend, news flash malky there will always be individual errors every game every team cant alwas stop other team scoring otherwise we wuld be winning the prem champions leauge year in year out! You set the tactics you pick team what happens on the pitch take f*cking responsibility for it! And we thought dj was stubbourn LOL

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:26 pm

citybluechris wrote:Surprise surprise all individual errors again execpt for himself, why not take responsibility for once? This is where my in malky i trust died at this happend after piss poor after piss poor after piss poor performances after xmas!!! With the excepetion of palace blackburn and hard battle v liverpool all rest sucked! Changed everything after xmas to poxy defend defend defend, news flash malky there will always be individual errors every game every team cant alwas stop other team scoring otherwise we wuld be winning the prem champions leauge year in year out! You set the tactics you pick team what happens on the pitch take f*cking responsibility for it! And we thought dj was stubbourn LOL

couldn't agree more.
I just wish one day a manager would simply hold his hand up and say "sorry, I got it wrong today".
Rather that than the bullshit that it's everyone else's fault rather than his inability to...

...stop sitting back inviting the opposition to apply more pressure.

...stop playing our powderpuff midfield so deep.

...stop arsing about on the touchline and waiting till it's far too late before making a change.

...please do play both Kiss and Gunnarsson in front of the back 4 to put some steel into City's side.

...please do play Whittingham as an ATTACKING midfielder with a forced exclusion zone away from our back 4.

...please do play Velikonja up front and don't bring him back to defend corners, but leave him up the park to prevent the ball if cleared coming straight back!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:07 pm

We dont talk at the back.............hudson is a good defender but not much of a leader.......a good back four is always very vocal with usually a strong gobby git at centre half calling the line............like tony adams.we seem a bit quiet at times and some players are ball watching waiting for someone else to make a decision, or pick someone up.It needs to be worked on, and it can be fixed.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:32 pm

If Marshell cost us two goals he should be dropped ,won,t be though as he's one of Malky's choosen one's

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Individual mistakes reflect the quality of the player. Everyone's entitled to make mistakes of course but if they persist then it means the player isn't good enough. Simple as that for me.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Its not just now, this started at the start of the season, I pointed this out and people on here just kept telling me , no team every won promotion at this time of the year. OF course they were right no team do win promotion at that time of the season. But they do loose it at that time of the season, games we should have won after going in front ,only to hand it and all the points to the other team.
If Malky is so shit hot why didnt he do something about it when it was knocking on his office door. ? But did he go get a few defenders ? No ! in fact he let one go in the form of Dekel , a guy that give his all every game. No he went and got more strikers & Midfielders. But were the Midfielders Defending Mids ? NO! So before you start slagging our players off Malky, take a look at your self, YOU BOUGHT THEM !