Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Defensive solutions??

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 am

What's the answer lads??

Play a defensive midfielder and leave the back 4 alone?? Put Kev in at left back as he did during the 'Naylor' months?? Revert back to Turner on the bench??

What's your solution?

Re: Defensive solutions??

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:21 am

Gavlar wrote:What's the answer lads??

Play a defensive midfielder and leave the back 4 alone?? Put Kev in at left back as he did during the 'Naylor' months?? Revert back to Turner on the bench??

What's your solution?

It seems to be more than coincidence that we have conceded so many goals since Turner came back [forget The Wurzels as that was Connollys first game]. We also seem to be bypassing the midfield more as his only outlet is the left footed hoof. So, yes, I would say bench him again and bring Kev back in at either full back.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:22 am

What's your solution?

Turner to the bench. Since he's come back he's looked over weight slow and clumsy

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 am

There is no solutions we have no real cover, everyone knew this before a ball was kicked yet we never addressed it, WHY? :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 am

I also think we need an anchor man/ defensive midfielder like Shaun Derry

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 am

In my opinion a defence can only be as good as the midfield in front of it. We're under so much pressure because we don't have a leader in the middle and Whittingham sits too deep. Every game the opposition are having so many attempts on goal its inevitable that an average goalkeeper like Marshall will concede more than his fair share. Add individual errors into the equation and you have the recipe for a perfect storm of nightmare performances.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am

4- 2- 3 -1 formation, especially away.

2 defensive midfielders to anchor the team. Kiss and I'm sure we used to have someone called Mitch?? (something like that) who could do that role.
Then Whitts, Noone and Frei in front to attack with a single "target, focus point in front of them.

Got to do something to protect Marshall.

Marshall should be commanding te defence but he is not, and the defence do not trust him.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 am

Jordan Mutch :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:08 am

math_robz878 wrote:Jordan Mutch :ayatollah:

Thanks mate, that sounds about right.

What happened to him? Is he still at the club?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am

scooby1973 wrote:I also think we need an anchor man/ defensive midfielder like Shaun Derry

This :ayatollah: Absofookinglutely spot on.

Our problems are in front of our back 4 with the most lightweight and ineffective CM pairing with Whitts and Cowie.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 am

Play a new formation.

7-2-1 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am

JBCCFC1927 wrote:Play a new formation.

Cannot be done, We do not have 7 defenders at the club.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:57 am

math_robz878 wrote:Jordan Mutch :ayatollah:

You mean Jordan "Doesn't Play" Mutch?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 pm

glas wrote:

Resign Jon Parkin and lie him across the goal? :shock:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:59 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
glas wrote:

Resign Jon Parkin and lie him across the goal? :shock:

Do you mean Big Jon Parkin? As he is called on SSN

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Gunnerson for Cowie. Really believe it is that simple :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Turner is ok at CB.
He just needs reminding that he is allowed to pass the ball out from the back and he doesn't have to spray 50 yard diagonal cross field "passes" each time ala David Beckham.

Bring John in at LB to replace Taylor.
Marshall has conceded to many recently to not give Lewis a game to see what he can do. Otherwise pointless having him.

...................................Lewis.............................

McNaughton..........Connolly............Turner............John

.......................Gunnarsson.........Kiss.....................

Noone........................Whittingham....................Frei

..........................Velikonja...................................

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

scooby1973 wrote:I also think we need an anchor man/ defensive midfielder like Shaun Derry

I'd like to see him in our side to because apart from his playing he is always in the reff's face could get us less bookings and more free kicks/pens

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 pm

For all those who knocked him...........well its Jordan Mutch......like most players of his type ....for example John McGovern..........the fans dont quite get it but his fellow players do.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:37 pm

castleblue wrote:

Our problems are in front of our back 4 with the most lightweight and ineffective CM pairing with Whitts and Cowie.

i agree with this also.. aswell as what milly said about turner

perhaps for our next away game we could also do this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 pm

milly44 wrote:

What's your solution?

Turner to the bench. Since he's come back he's looked over weight slow and clumsy

Should never have been brought back in my opinion Nathan :evil:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 pm

glas wrote:4- 2- 3 -1 formation, especially away.

2 defensive midfielders to anchor the team. Kiss and I'm sure we used to have someone called Mitch?? (something like that) who could do that role.
Then Whitts, Noone and Frei in front to attack with a single "target, focus point in front of them.

Got to do something to protect Marshall.

Marshall should be commanding te defence but he is not, and the defence do not trust him.

Our performances with a 451 were awful too. This is a 451 basically.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:32 pm

MARSHALL

MCNAUGHTON CONNOLLY HUDSON TAYLOR

MUTCH WHITTINGHAM

NOONE KIM BO

BELLAMY HELGUSON

WHEN ALL ARE FIT THIS IS MY STARTING 11

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 pm

castleblue wrote:

Posted this in another thread earlier today.
Biggest problem as I see it is a completely powder-puff midfield. Mutch makes hell of a f***ing difference. He's out injured, it happens, but what i don't understand is two absolutely direct replacements for him Gunnarsson and Kiss are sitting on their arses on the bench. Whitts is a luxury sitting in the middle when the other team show some attacking intent which strangely enough most home teams do. We possibly get away with it at home because we're on the front foot more often than not. Away from home I would never play a 4 man midlield with Whitts as one of the two central midfielders. That's only my opinion. I retired from coaching last season and for the record in my last three or four seasons I became a complete convert to 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 (its basically the same set up but changes when you have/ don't have possession). Again my opinion but I think we have the players to carry this system off it's a matter of getting the right players on the pitch and for me that's not happening right now