Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Expectations are rightly high

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:56 am

You've only got to stand inside or even outside of the Cardiff city stadium and look around to see we are a club that's had serious investment with one aim, to get to the Premier League. We've been the nearly men for many years and I honestly thought that with the money invested in the team this season (I'm not gonna mention the rebrand as I don't want to throw the thread off course) Malky Mackay had been given the resources to deliver that dream.

He bought well, there's no denying that, but even with the good purchases made, many of us were scratching our heads that further defensive options were not brought in, and I'm now wondering if the people screaming on this board for additional full back cover were right all along.

There's no way that our owners are going to accept another season in the championship and unless Malky can deliver a bit more consistency I fear for his job come Christmas. If he wants to stay in my opinion, he needs to steady the ship immediately, and make the necessary tweaks in the January transfer window to make automatic promotion a reality.

I know it's only his second season in charge, but he's taken on a high pressure job and been given reasonable resources to do it well, if he can't go that step further than Dave Jones I believe that Tan will show him the door sooner rather than later, not hang about with his fingers crossed.

Good luck the coming games Malky, your going to need it.

Re: Expectations are rightly high

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 am

Gavlar wrote:You've only got to stand inside or even outside of the Cardiff city stadium and look around to see we are a club that's had serious investment with one aim, to get to the Premier League. We've been the nearly men for many years and I honestly thought that with the money invested in the team this season (I'm not gonna mention the rebrand as I don't want to throw the thread off course) Malky Mackay had been given the resources to deliver that dream.

He bought well, there's no denying that, but even with the good purchases made, many of us were scratching our heads that further defensive options were not brought in, and I'm now wondering if the people screaming on this board for additional full back cover were right all along.

There's no way that our owners are going to accept another season in the championship and unless Malky can deliver a bit more consistency I fear for his job come Christmas. If he wants to stay in my opinion, he needs to steady the ship immediately, and make the necessary tweaks in the January transfer window to make automatic promotion a reality.

I know it's only his second season in charge, but he's taken on a high pressure job and been given reasonable resources to do it well, if he can't go that step further than Dave Jones I believe that Tan will show him the door sooner rather than later, not hang about with his fingers crossed.

He bought well?

Velikonja, kimbo were a third of that budget and they can barely get into the side. Mutch doesn't look up to much (no pun intended) and bellers rarely plays.

Noone is a decent signing and Connolly but apart from that I think it's the most horrible way to spend in excess of £10m there Is.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 am

I don't value the opinion of Swansea City fans, neeext

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:06 am

What's that got to do with Malkys signings?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:20 am

Biggest budget in the clubs history and hes making a pigs ear of it.

Conceded 18 goals in 7 away games thats shocking.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 am

Mario Polotelli wrote:Biggest budget in the clubs history and hes making a pigs ear of it.

One thing I will say is at least he is trying different pairings in midfield, last season he just stuck with the same team game after game, but that being said he needs to get things right sharpish!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:04 am

Gavlar wrote:
Mario Polotelli wrote:Biggest budget in the clubs history and hes making a pigs ear of it.

One thing I will say is at least he is trying different pairings in midfield, last season he just stuck with the same team game after game, but that being said he needs to get things right sharpish!

But then the team can't gel.... Swings and roundabouts.

He hasn't spent wisely and that's the bottom line. Our squad does not look like a squad that's had nearly £15m spent on it.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 am

No Smoking wrote:
Gavlar wrote:You've only got to stand inside or even outside of the Cardiff city stadium and look around to see we are a club that's had serious investment with one aim, to get to the Premier League. We've been the nearly men for many years and I honestly thought that with the money invested in the team this season (I'm not gonna mention the rebrand as I don't want to throw the thread off course) Malky Mackay had been given the resources to deliver that dream.

He bought well?

Velikonja, kimbo were a third of that budget and they can barely get into the side. Mutch doesn't look up to much (no pun intended) and bellers rarely plays.

Noone is a decent signing and Connolly but apart from that I think it's the most horrible way to spend in excess of £10m there Is.

Just confirms that you are either an idiot or as we all know, not a Cardiff City fan, mutch has been out for the last month and we are missing him more than any other injured player we have, any real city fan will tell you, he has been tremendous for us in his ball winning capacity, and is sorely missed.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 am

cityone wrote:
No Smoking wrote:

He bought well?

Just confirms that you are either an idiot or as we all know, not a Cardiff City fan, mutch has been out for the last month and we are missing him more than any other injured player we have, any real city fan will tell you, he has been tremendous for us in his ball winning capacity, and is sorely missed.

Is your opinion... But unfortunately far from fact.

Mutch is not a good player, and other fans saying he is is certainly not proof of that fact. Last season apparently I was wrong about rudy gestede being rubbish.... :lol:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 am

I can't understand why Taylor has a place in the team without a challenge when he is the weakest player in the team??

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 am

T1JMO wrote:I can't understand why Taylor has a place in the team without a challenge when he is the weakest player in the team??

Well it's simply because we do not have another natural option, Kev can play there in an emergency, as he did to cover the train wreck that was Naylor, not sure if MM will try that again. I think we will go back to Kev, Huds, conn and tayls next saturday

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 am

T1JMO wrote:I can't understand why Taylor has a place in the team without a challenge when he is the weakest player in the team??

There's a saying, "old pals act". It's funny, he had no qualms in dropping Kev, yet Taylor get's away with murder.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 am

and the add insult to injury we've gotta play 4th place hull who have just come off a good result against Wolves!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Gavlar wrote:

Well it's simply because we do not have another natural option, Kev can play there in an emergency, as he did to cover the train wreck that was Naylor, not sure if MM will try that again. I think we will go back to Kev, Huds, conn and tayls next saturday

If Naylor was a train wreck then Taylor is a national disaster

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 pm

No Smoking wrote:

He bought well?

You conveniently forgot to mention Maynard and Smith, or is that MMs fault that he should have known they were going to get injured :roll:

Bellers was on fire until he got injured in the Brum game and he will still have a massive influence on our team when he comes back upfront to cover for Maynard.

Mutch looked a fantastic when he was in the team because he is something we haven't got. Somebody who can tackle but also be creative as well as win the second balls in the air in midfield.

Kimbo looks great and it's just a matter of him adjusting but this was always a signing that would be more of an investment than instant impact.

You do have a point about Velikonja because he just hasn't had a chance and that's down to Malky one way or the other.

So actually, in terms of the signings the success rate is pretty high and certainly a damn sight higher than DJs % of transfer successes.

Whatever your opinion, or mine, the time to judge is over a season and I, for one, would not write off this group yet.