Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Proposal Which I think All Fans Will Get Behind

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 am

I would like to propose something that I think all fans will get behind - I think that whether you're a die-hard blue, or someone who has reluctantly turned to red, you will see this as a positive idea.

I think the fact that, despite 7 consecutive home victories, many people are still unhappy about the rebrand speaks volumes.
Here is a proposal that I think will be accepted by all.

Prior to the start of the season, when I still believed it might be possible for the club to change its mind, I had a look at the football league rules.

These are the rules -

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regula ... 33_2125729

In section 38 (registration of club colours), 38.1 states that "each club is authorised on one occasion per Season to play a Home match in an 'away' or 'alternative' strip".

My view is that, if there has ever been a clearer case for this rule to be utilised, then this is surely it. I personally think that, for the sake of the fans, the board should have a look at the club acting upon this rule, and playing in blue for one home league game this season.

I have not posted about this until now, because I first spoke to Vince Alm about it following the Bristol game, and he was going to look into it, but since Alan Whiteley's departure, he said it would be more difficult to convince the board. More recently, I mentioned it to Annis who doesn't think VT would consider it.

I believe that with fan pressure, we could make this happen. I also think that if it doesn't happen, we can forget a change back to blue in the forseeable future.

The point is, I see it as a totally win/win situation. I think the game would be a guarantee sell-out, and the atmosphere would be brilliant. Fans would get behind it, and the club would see a filled out, buzzing stadium.

The only question that remains is which game, of the 16 remaining, could we play in blue for one game? Suggestions welcome. I had thought perhaps at the unveiling of the Keenor statue, but as that is this week, I think it would be too soon for it to be arranged for this week (after all, for that game, a special commemorative shirt would have been nice, for example, and can't see that happening in a week). I thought perhaps the Bristol game in February, because otherwise Bristol will be playing at CCS in blue, which is their away strip. Last game of the season unlikely I think - any other suggestions welcome.

Re: Proposal Which I think All Fans Will Get Behind

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 am

If that were to happen, it would undermine the current red strip and the decision to change in the first place. Not to mention stir the whole thing up again.

Therefor it'll never happen.

Re: Proposal Which I think All Fans Will Get Behind

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am

Sorry, but I don't see it as undermining the change at all. Especially as if the change was made for commercial reasons, then commercially, the day would be a massive success - the game would undoubtedly be a sellout, and additional merchandise sales on the back of it. And in addition, again, if the change was made for commercial sales (a boost to shirt sales, for example, which happened at the start of the season, with many people buying the new red shirt), then to be quite honest, if the club was looking purely to continue with its policy of continuing along commercial grounds, they would be better off changing back to blue for next season, as shirt sales would soar once more.